Milner Off-Road

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Tow Bar..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 150 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dannyson

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 23:33    Post subject: Tow Bar.. Reply with quote

Hmmm - thinking of installing a tow bar to my 150 (had a witter jobby put on my previous 120 that didn't involve cutting into the rear bumper)..... a Toyota detachable tow bar (that still involves cutting into the 'bumper' - but finished off nicely - if done properly - with a colour matched insert) costs, with 10% service contract discount, around £900 fitted.  £700 for non detachable.  A witter costs around £550 (non detachable).  

i'm pushed towards the Toyota one for a number of reasons, the wiring should be vehicle specific with no witter 'vehicle specific' shortcuts.  Any dashboard switches for the sensors should fit properly into any blanks and look right.  Its 'easier' to take it back and complain to Toyota if not done 'just right' to Toyota 'standards'.

The witter one looks somewhat agricultural whilst the Toyota one looks neat and tidy and takes the expensive but posh looking Toyota cycle carrier.  Other cycle carriers look a bit primitive but do the job and also allow towing with a cycle carrier attached - I don't think the Toyota one does....

and lastly my son works for Lexus and can get the bar at cost plus 6% so should be significantly cheaper....
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 23:33    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

14all_and_all41

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Danny, what did you end up going for, and the cost if you don't mind me asking, I've a similar situ now also.
dannyson

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 0:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't need one in the end..... sorry I can't help...
dannyson

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 0:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't need one in the end..... sorry I can't help...
Scotspea

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might be in the same situation soon as I might upgrade my 120. Does anyone know if the chassis is the same (120/150 ) as I also have a front towbar on my 120 which I would like to use again.
Thanks
dannyson

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 21:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure .... I don't think it is the same though as Toyota promoted it as 'new from the boots up' or some such I think... best check with Toyota I think....
dannyson

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 21:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure .... I don't think it is the same though as Toyota promoted it as 'new from the boots up' or some such I think... best check with Toyota I think....
dannyson

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 21:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also don't know why I'm getting double posts!
Scotspea

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 22:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks
14all_and_all41

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 20:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont know how relevant this is, but I transplanted my 120 series front A Bar, onto my 150 series, so the chassis rails are in the same place.
Andy C

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 16:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm new to this forum, but thought the following might be useful.

I recently fitted a towbar to my 150 Prado - but found it difficult finding much info about what's available on the market (UK), and what each manufacturer's towbar actually looks like.  Most of the images on the towbar sales websites are "stock" images.

Toyota quoted me over £1000 for a fitted bar and electrics, and wouldn't guarantee that the electrics would work (I imported my Prado from the Middle East) - so that was a non-starter for me.

In the end I went with a Westfalia bar, with Westfalia dedicated-harness 13-pin electrics - fully fitted for £390.  I'm very pleased with it - heavy duty, nicely fabricated & seems to be well coated.  The Westfalia bar comprises three main components - the main hitch bracket that bolts to the rear cross-member and two knee-braces that bolt between the rear cross-member and the main longitudinal chassis rails.  It looks to me to be a pretty heavy-duty arrangement.  Perfectly capable of dragging a twin-axle cattle float across the Scottish highlands...

I can't work out how to attach photos, but would be more than happy to email them to anyone who is interested in the Westfalia bar.

Andy
Phil Hyde

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:56    Post subject: 150 Tow Bar Reply with quote

I fitted a Tow Trust bar to my 2015 LC.  I went for this one as no bumper cutting is involved. The bracket bolts directly to the rear of the chassis. Yes, it is a bit cosy with the spare wheel but no problems pulling my 2.5 ton rated Ifor Williams.  Plug in electrics from PF Jones were a doddle to fit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 150 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: