Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

TIMING BELT LIGHT RESET

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
porky

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 22:59    Post subject: TIMING BELT LIGHT RESET Reply with quote

DOES ANY BODY KNOW HOW TO RESET THE TIMING BELT LIGHT I BEEN TOLD I NEED TO REMOVE THE CLOCKS AND MOVE A SCREW  TO ANOTHER HOLE  IF THIS IS TRUE AS ANYBODY DONE THIS JOB AND IS IT EASY OR HARD ETC
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 22:59    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Erestor
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 0:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know myself but i'm pretty sure that if you did a search you'd find something on it.

'96 LWB Colorado GX 3.0 TD
 - CB Radio; VX Accessory Meter pod; Battery Isolating & Split Charge System; 2x Optima YT S 4.2 Batteries; 265/75/16 BFG A/Ts; 30mm Wheel Spacers; Impreza WRX front seats; reconditioned engine
BobMurphy
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 0:57    Post subject: Re: TIMING BELT LIGHT RESET Reply with quote

It depends on the year of your truck - from about 1999 onwards the timing belt warning light was re-set electronically - there was a recent post about it.

Earlier models needed a screw to be moved as you say.

I have done this a couple of times - and I took photos the last time.

You probably don't need all the noddy details, but I'll put them here for future reference.

First, disconnect the battery(ies) as you will be disconnecting large lumps of wiring harness from the instrument panel.

1.  Remove the panel below the steering wheel. There is a 6mm set screw (10mm hex head) on the right and a machine screw on the left:

There are a couple of spring clips that need to be sprung out as well.

Then the panel just dangles on the wiring. This reveals more screws:

Now remove the ignition switch surround, it is held on with a pair of spring clips:

The top of the instrument panel has to come off. First remove two screws from the underside:

Now loosen the instrument panel fascia - two screws, one on the left:

And another on the right - by the ignition switch:

The fascia is also located by plastic pins like this:

With the fascia loose, you can get to the lower screws holding the top of the instrument panel. The right-hand one is removed from here:

And the left from here:

Now the top can come off:

With the top gone, the front fascia can be wiggled out past the steering wheel to reveal the instrument panel:

This is held on by four screws, remove them then carefully unclip the four wiring connectors from the rear:

Turn the instrument cluster over and the re-set screw you need is here . . . .

Remove the screw and replace it in the adjacent hole (this one hadn't been re-set before, hence the hole is blocked):

Job done:

Yours could be in either hole, depending on the mileage, the light comes on at 60,000 mile intervals.

Then just put the lot back together again  Wink .

Hope this helps to remove the mystique   Laughing

Bob.
munster

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent post  Bob makes it look quite straight forward will do it myself when the time comes salute
LC 95 LWB 3.0TD, Cooper STT 265/75/16, Alien Snorkel, 40mm Ironman SL, 2000w inverter,Sterling Bat to Bat  split charger system, Diff breathers,HID 8" Spots,bootstorage drawers.TTI 1100CB, Terrain RTT+ Awning, K4 winch mount, Goodwinch TDS Goldfish winch
wobbly

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats an excellent post, exactly what forums are about.

10/10

What a palaver though!

Pete
tim falce

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

What year is it? If it's after juneish 1999 it's just a matter of pushing the trip reset buttons in the correct sequence.
porky

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 17:40    Post subject: Timing belt light reset Reply with quote

thanks very very much bob that infomation and the photos to do the job are brilliant thanks again top man
BobMurphy
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 23:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

tim falce wrote:
What year is it? If it's after juneish 1999 it's just a matter of pushing the trip reset buttons in the correct sequence.

Tim,

Do you have 'chapter and verse' on the re-set sequence ??

This topic crops up frequently and it would be good to 'nail it' in this post once and for all  Wink .

Bob.
busdennis

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 20:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

my next job. wish us luck  Cool
Trydeep

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. T-BELT MODE DISPLAY
a) With ignition turned ON, using the trip switch (select/reset button) change the display to ODO, and turn the ignition OFF
b) While pressing the trip switch, turn the ignition switch ON and hold it for 5 seconds.
c) Release the trip switch, then press the switch again within 5 seconds.
d) The digital display should change to T-belt mode. The initial display "15" (0,000km) is displayed (ie. 150,000km).

2. REWRITING REPLACEMENT VALUES
While in the T-Belt mode, each press of the trip switch will change the displayed value by 10,000km increments. Once " 20 " (200,000km) is reached the display reverts back to " 1 " (10,000km) again. Remember, this setting is the number of kilometres to be travelled before the light comes on next, and once reset this counter will start from zero.
I believe the timing belt interval for all the 100 series engine variants is 150,000km, but this should be checked against each different markets servicing recommendation. This being the case, you shouldn't need to change from the default setting of "15".
Obviously for the US, the ODO is in miles, and I guess the T-Belt warning would be set in 10,000 mile intervals.

3. T-BELT WARNING RESET COMPLETION
a) After setting the replacement setting value, hold the trip switch ON for more than 5 seconds then release the switch.
b) Check that the display has now changed back to ODO and that the warning light has gone off when the engine is started.
NOTE: If the T-Belt mode is completed, even though the belt replacement has not been performed, the T-Belt warning IS reset.
I hope this proves to be of assistance guys, as usual all care no responsibility. Wink
busdennis

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 15:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

busdennis wrote:
my next job. wish us luck  Cool

just got around to doing this job, so easy thanks to BobMurphy

5 star gentleman
Lloydy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 22:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

More hassle than being a Mason !  Laughing
mr_magicfingers

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

just what I needed to know, thanks very much for this post.
HairyWookie
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 14:27    Post subject: Re: TIMING BELT LIGHT RESET Reply with quote

BobMurphy wrote:
It depends on the year of your truck - from about 1999 onwards the timing belt warning light was re-set electronically - there was a recent post about it.

Earlier models needed a screw to be moved as you say.

I have done this a couple of times - and I took photos the last time.

You probably don't need all the noddy details, but I'll put them here for future reference.

Hope this helps to remove the mystique   Laughing

Bob.

As ever Bob; a perfect post. Took me longer to find the Fast Glass to clean the clocks than it did to remove panels & reset screw on back of clocks.

Changing timing belt itself was a cinch; the headache was caused my my young apprentice dropping the tensioner washer into the sump tray, causing for the sump trays removal. Sad
He then pinged a spring clip the same way on re-fitting the cover. Fortunately we still had the guard loose.
Job was done eventually.
Smile

1997 KZJ95 3.0TD GX Manual (Jess)
Weekend Warrior with 18 years of mechanical experience; still learning...
Occasional use on SVO...
MisterCruiser

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 0:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a great reply for the procedure, very good pictures.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: