NFU Mutual - click to link

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

if your ever in doubt about landcruisers!!!

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> General Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
greg

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 20:06    Post subject: if your ever in doubt about landcruisers!!! Reply with quote

Just out of curiosity and boredom , i had a look at a couple of the land rover forums covering disco 3's and RR sports , looking at the low mileage fairly new vehicles and the issues the owners are experiencing is shocking , it is mind boggling that anyone is daft enough ....or rich enough to run these vehicles . Also a lot of the faults seem to take the so called LR garages many visits to the workshops to diagnose and repair. This implies to me that the vehicle control software and diagnostic soft ware are the easiest to master. I also read that a clutch and rear cambelt can be a lift the body off job , this seems ridiculous. The main dealer support seems very variable over the country also.
My 80 series is getting a bit long in the tooth and ive been thinking of a change to update i'll be moving into the realms of modern motoring with more complex ecu's etc and less you can do yourself , i thought about a disco 3 and just purchase the diagnostic software to enable me to work on the thing without the garage visits , looking at thier reliability i think it would pay for itself within the year!
But alas i cant force myself to part with 20 k or whatever on a vehicle that doesnt work so the 80 series will stay in service for a while yet - and every time i feel the lure of a plush looking disco or RR i'll just have another look at the forums to bring the reality back that the old cruiser is hard to beat !!
cheers
greg
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 20:06    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

geordie_boy1978

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 20:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well looks like the old adage strikes again.

If you want to go into the desert, take a Land Rover  
If you want to get home again, take a Land Cruiser    Laughing
geordie_boy1978

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 20:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

The saying go's by land Rover's OWN admission

"80 % of all the Land Rovers ever made are still on the road today"

So  that means that if 80% are still on the road,

Then logic says the other 20 % actually "MADE IT HOME"  Laughing  Laughing
trooperman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 20:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Uncle's just ordered a new Defender after years of Jap 4x4 ownership, they've all had a hard life, he's a landscaper by trade so always pulling a trailer, be interesting to see how the LR gets on
roscoFJ73

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:10    Post subject: Re: if your ever in doubt about landcruisers!!! Reply with quote

greg wrote:
My 80 series is getting a bit long in the tooth and ive been thinking of a change to update i'll be moving into the realms of modern motoring with more complex ecu's etc and less you can do yourself ,

What,has it got a million miles on it or something?
Just keep servicing it and driving it. The moment you sell it will be when the regret begins to sink in.

Just the ultra poor resale on a LR would be enough to keep me from buying a new one. Ive always thought of Landrover as a good idea,badly carried out.
Never had a problem with their offroad performance.

I have a friend who is a LR fanatic,he refuses to acknowledge that there are other good 4x4 out there.
I bought a 1995 HZJ75 cab chassis,he bought a 94 Defender,both at the same time and same price used.
His defender had 180000klm and my LC had 190000klm.

In the 7 years since,he has the transmission and transfer out twice for different reasons,he has had ongoing problems with the fuel pump and the steering and front end always needs something done.
Im sure there are electrical problems that he is too embaressed to tell me about.
Every time it goes in for a service the mechanic gives him an even bigger worklist.
It rides so horrible and noisy his wife refuses to be driven in it.

My LC has a clutch replaced at 200000klms,although it didnt really need it and a new alternator and new water pump at 250000klm and Ive replaced the windscreen washer pump which wasnt working when I got it.
Ive also had the rear diff rebuilt as it was used a lot for towing before I owned it.
But once the work is done,there is never another peep out of it.
The icing on the cake is that if I wanted to sell it now,I could get more than what I paid for it 7 years ago LOL
Holden Commodore V6
YAMAHA TT600R Belgarda
Triumph Rocket3 08 with Jardines and Tuneboy Wink
Honda XR650L
1988 HJ61 turbo diesel with windas that slide Wink  Sad
uk_vette
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

trooperman wrote:
My Uncle's just ordered a new Defender after years of Jap 4x4 ownership, they've all had a hard life, he's a landscaper by trade so always pulling a trailer, be interesting to see how the LR gets on

I will be bookmarking this thread specially,

Vette
Huw

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a lot of both brands out there and I would be happy with either. Even though I've had the LC100 since new in 1998, in the meantime I've also had a MercedesML, BMWX5, Range Rover 3.0 diesel and my current Audi Q7. All good vehicles and reliable.
I would go as far as to say that the 2004 Range Rover was the best built and most reliable vehicle I ever had from new to 35,000 miles. However I am under no illusion that this record would have lasted until today as the front diff issue was overdue on it, but LR have modified all vehicles since then.
mike the pipe

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 20:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lr and LC there is no contest. Any way the Australians working in the out back  said the LR`s fell to bits,they were *beep*, the Cruisers lasted a life time in and out of the mines. Not only that, the U.N. only select Landcruisers due to their reliability, nothing else comes close.
roscoFJ73

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike the pipe wrote:
Lr and LC there is no contest. Any way the Australians working in the out back  said the LR`s fell to bits,they were *beep*, the Cruisers lasted a life time in and out of the mines. Not only that, the U.N. only select Landcruisers due to their reliability, nothing else comes close.

Mike ,they still buy Landrovers and Nissan Patrols to spread the love around. Laughing Oh and Gwagons too I think.

Merc have won the contract with the Australian Army to supply them with 10000 Gwagons(landrovers are finshed after 60 years) and now Merc have decided to take on Toyota in their heartland by competing with them in the mining and agricultral ute market.
Nothing like some competiton I say.
Holden Commodore V6
YAMAHA TT600R Belgarda
Honda XR650L
marlot

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LR fans tell me the Discovery4 reliability is looking good.  But they said that about the Disco3 when that was new-ish too.

I see the Freelander2 reliability seems to be OK.

I think the LRs have just too much technology rammed in there for long-term reliability.  So for example, I see the new 8-speed gearbox has a rotary selector which rises up out of the central console when you start the engine - that sounds like a recipe for disaster.
roscoFJ73

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 13:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

marlot wrote:

I think the LRs have just too much technology rammed in there for long-term reliability.  So for example, I see the new 8-speed gearbox has a rotary selector which rises up out of the central console when you start the engine - that sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Sounds like the selector knob on my washing machine.

I agree 100% about the technology,its always been the downfall of the RR and Disco.Competant and comfortable offroaders crippled by technology.
Some people love all those buttons and gizmos,but Ive believe there is a bigger market that wants something that is always reliable.
As long as its got power steering,some heating and cooling that works brilliantly and comfortable seats,I cant see the need for much more.

I would do anything to see an owners face when the rotary selector breaks off in his hand 200klms from the nearest town. Cool
Holden Commodore V6
YAMAHA TT600R Belgarda
Honda XR650L
marlot

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 17:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no doubt that the driving seat of the latest LRs is a very nice place to be.  And the handling is good.  I could be very tempted next time around if they really have cracked the reliability problems with the Disco 4.  I'll have to wait and see!
munster

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 17:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

There would always be that nagging dout in the back of your mind that it wont get you home Rolling Eyes
LC 95 LWB 3.0TD, Cooper STT 265/75/16, Alien Snorkel, 40mm Ironman SL, 2000w inverter,Sterling Bat to Bat  split charger system, Diff breathers,HID 8" Spots,bootstorage drawers.TTI 1100CB, Terrain RTT+ Awning, K4 winch mount, Goodwinch TDS Goldfish winch
wobbly

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 19:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've done 24000 miles in the wifes Disco 4, its 2 years old in March.

100% reliable, only problem I have is the 4 feral children who inhabit the back end, make Stig look tidy...

I love my LC, as long as the head doesnt crack and the rad doesnt leak into the gearbox it should last for ages yet....

I reckon the D3 had issues, but a 2nd hand 55/56 plate can be had for about £15,000 now, lot of car for the cash. Lot of cash for repairs if its a bad'un though.

Defender - no way on gods earth would I volunteer to go in one again, the single most uncomfortable car I've ever been in, and trust me, I've owned some cr*p cars in my youth !

Pete
fat neil

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 19:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had to attend an RTC in which a disco went off a cliff after the driver had suffered a fit.
All credit to the disco......it plunged 130 feet landing on the tailgate and nose as it went end over end.
The driver was fine, the passenger compartment was perfect and all the doors opened as though nothing had happened.
Mighty impressive.

i like the look of the Disco 3 & 4, I would love to buy British but doubts still exist and until it's proven to be bomb proof, I'll stick with my 80 series !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> General Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: