4x4 Mart magazine discount

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

The view from her seat

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Overland / offroad preparation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GirlChild

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 20:57    Post subject: The view from her seat Reply with quote

Hi all,

Overlanding is sooo exciting ... or at this point, the preparation for overlanding is sooo exciting!   Wink

I have had a bit of a read on the Overland sections of the forum, and it all seems to be vehicle this, tyres that, storage, starter motor etc ... and it also seems that the gents are quite active participants!

I think I did see (while peering over hubby's shoulder) that there was a post about how someone had done some sewing to create a tarpaulin awning (or something similar), and it really stuck with me (I hope you know who you are!!).  I realised that the ladies do also make a contribution to all the preparations, but perhaps it doesn't always result in a post on the forum.

However, that particular post was instrumental in me finding a particular online store that sells outdoor fabrics (big thanks!), and as a result, I have been able to contribute to the preparations for our trip!

Also, I really had to negotiate with hubby when my old sewing machine died (well, it was 35 years old!) and I really 'needed' a new one.  Conditions of purchase: I need to make items that save us purchasing them new, or repair items rather than replace them - and so 'earn' my sewing machine.  Fair enough.  Always up for the challenge, I took it!

So, I'll be posting some of the items I have been making / repairing to 'earn' my sewing machine.

Watch this space!

African Girl Child
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 20:57    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

aroscow

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 21:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome!!

Nice post.
GirlChild

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 21:58    Post subject: REPAIRS - flysheet for roof top tent Reply with quote

So,  following the negotiations, the new sewing machine (and I) have to earn our way!  This was actually the second project, but I'll get back to the first project in a later post.

We managed to purchase a second hand Howling Moon rooftop tent.  It has already made at least one trip through Africa, and unfortunately has had a few hard knocks.  First up on the repairs - the flysheet.  Unfortunately, the previous owners had reversed into a tree with the tent erect, and so a few tears were evident.  

As I hope you can see (coz you've all got great imaginations!), the holes are not insignificant, and I would prefer not to have a dedicated water inlet into the tent!  Step1 put a waterproof backing to the holes to reinforce the area.

The area to reinforce was about 25cm x 15 cm.  

Here, you can see the reinforcement lines (coz you've still got great imaginations!) which stabilise the holes and prevent further tearing.  To be honest, I probably could have stopped here, but oh no, got to be certain the water stays out!

Step 2:  apply Tenacious Tape.  This is amazing – it is a combination of Duct Tape and sticky back plastic … but oh, so much more!  Slowly remove the paper backing … careful no air bubbles …

… and then work in small circles to ensure it adheres.

I had to apply 3 pieces of tape to cover all the holes … but there we go!

Perfect!

Cost to replace: approx. £70

Cost to repair:
Fabric: Black Coated polyester:  I already had this from previous projects so let’s call it £0
Thread: Black Polyester: I already had this from previous projects so let’s call it £0
Tenacious Tape: £7

Amount earned towards sewing machine: £63

Comments welcome!

Photos to follow ...

African Girl Child
fat neil

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent work !
geordie_boy1978

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 13:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

fixing things is better than buying new
lc80JOHN

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 13:34    Post subject: lc Reply with quote

Nice Job Mate  Wink
GirlChild

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 17:43    Post subject: It's CREATION time! Reply with quote

ahhhhhh ... doesn't it just look so much better with photos (not to say your imagination isn't great  Wink ) BIG thanks to aroscow.

I do realise some of my sewing projects are really on the fine line of being LandCruiser projects ... so, the next project I'll post - to be started this weekend - car seat covers!  Make that LandCruiser car seat covers.  Very Happy  Wink

Please come back to have a look!

rgds
African GirlChild
GirlChild

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 21:34    Post subject: Weekly update - Kapp 2 cape Reply with quote

The weeks are starting to fly now!  This last one has been impressively speedy.

First up, we launched our new website!  The previous version was created using a online software provided by our host.  As a complete novice, it was very useful in getting a website up and running quickly, and provided a reasonable amount of functionality.  As the website grew and grew, I realised there was so much more I wanted to do with it!  I wanted to let my creativity out of the box.  So, I bought software and took time to recreate the website with a bit more flair to it!  I hope you like it.

I have also been exploring forums to gather more information, meet fellow travellers, and share our experiences with.  Thanks to everyone who has been chatting to me!

On the vehicle front, the interior storage system is taking shape.  The front consol has been replaced with a more spacious version - and very importantly now includes cup / drinks can holders!

In the back, the first layer of the storage is successfully making the transition from paper diagram to real world!  The design has space for 4 Wolf boxes / ammo boxes with 2 purpose built drawers for the middle.  This was constructed using 18mm plywood.  The plan is that heavy, seldom used items will be in this bottom layer: spare parts, our food pantry (i.e. tin cans not needed daily) and similar.  A coat or 2 of varnish should also extend the life of the plywood.

The sewing projects continue too.  The current project under construction is a set of car seat covers.  Keep an eye out next week for more details of progress.

And it’s 25 weeks to go!

Last edited by GirlChild on Sun Mar 11, 2012 23:07; edited 1 time in total
wobbly

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 23:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting.

Its good to hear things from a different perspective.

Good luck with the work.

Pete
GirlChild

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 21:50    Post subject: Weekly Update Reply with quote

Hi all!

Time for another weekly update ...

A busy week flew past.  Unfortunately, it was more work related (you know, that necessary daily activity that provides the funds for the adventure!) than massive progress on the project, but anyway.

The week started with our second last visit to the nurse at the travel clinic.  We have now had the 3rd (and final) rabies innoculation, and our Meningococcal Meningitis jab.  We also have a prescription for cholera (oral) which we’ll take in June.  Our last jab is the 3rd Hep B, which is also lined up for June.  Then, we should be adequately covered for our trip - even if it lasts longer than a year.

On the shopping front, Viking Explorer has been keeping his eye on e bay for any bargains.  He watched a refurbished invertor for a few days, but ended up being able to purchase a new one for a sensible price, so that has been added to the equipment.

We have also been investigating some local Pay & Play days to do some driving.  There certainly are a few - and not too far away either.  Out first date is Easter weekend!  Should be fun!

Other projects in the garden took preference today, but progress was still made on the interior storage.  The interior drawers are starting to take shape.  These will fit between the wolf boxes: one at the back, and the other in front of it.  Again, items that we don’t need to get to regularly will be housed in there.

The car seat covers are taking shape!  We have chosen a brightly coloured deck chair fabric, which hasn’t been too bad to work with.  As mentioned previously, the design is very simple.

So far, I have adjusted the fabric to fit down the back of the passenger seat, over the top, down the front and reach down in front of the seat.  The sitting-onpart needed to have extra panels added for width (deck chair fabric is quite narrow).  I also came up with a cunning plan to insert eyelets at the top.

The next part of the design will have straps and buckles around the sides - which link the sitting-on-part to the hanging-down-the-back part.  I also want to put some pockets on the hanging-down-the-back part for a book or two, and other items needing easy access.  Lastly, depending on how the car seat covers feel at that point, I may put straps under the seat to secure the hanging-down-the-back part to the bit in front of the seat.  I hope that all makes sense!

And so, that is where we are with 24 short weeks to go …

Comments and thoughts always welcome!

Kind rgds
African GirlChild
GirlChild

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 22:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all!

What a stunning weekend!  I can't believe it is still March and we almost managed a BBQ today!  We opted for a mountain bike ride instead Wink

Anyway, here is the weekly update from Kapp2cape!  Enjoy!

PS - if the piccies are huge, I apologise.  I did resize them ... really I did ...  Razz

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Such a variety of activities in the week gone by - all contributing to us heading out on our journey on time.

Documents!  In this past week, we both received our new passports.  We now have sufficient blank pages and passport validity to see us through our trip - and more.  Great!

Next - the water tank.  After many deliberations months back, and viewing many different water tanks, we decided on the water tank we wanted.  Our preference is for a thin flat tank that fits along the load guard, rather than opting for a foot well tank.  Of course, searches in the UK revealed nothing, but we had tracked down something suitable in Australia and South Africa!  Shipping, of course, added considerably to the price!  Frontrunner in South Africa referred us to a distributor in Belgium - but they were twice the price before shipping factored in!  Despairing slightly, hubby did a final search in the UK ... and found 2 suppliers of the exact model!  A few phonecalls, and he established one was less than 20 miles away.  Fantastic.  Water tank finally on order, and hopefully we should be able to pick it up by the Easter weekend.  

The internal storage made good progress.  The frame for the bottom layer has now had 2 coats of varnish, so should be sealed against the elements.  This is now almost ready for installation in the vehicle.  To remind you, there is space for 4 wolf / ammo boxes (2 on the left, 2 on the right) and hubby constructed two wooden boxes for the compartment in the middle.  These have had one coat of varnish, so will receive their second in the coming week.  

The final feature is piano hinged ‘wings’ on the left and right of the frame, connected to the vehicle interior (that is real girl-speak!) Looking good!

The car seat covers have taken shape - sorry, no photos.  I have made good progress on the construction of the driver and passenger seats covers - the ‘third seat’ cover still needs to ne started.  There are now buckles in place to connect the front to the back (around the side of the seat).  The last design feature is pockets on the back to hold books, pens, notebooks etc.  I hope to finish this in the coming week.  Then, I can start the ‘third seat’ cover.

Time is gathering speed.  As expected.  The clocks changed this weekend, and together with warmer weather, it is more realistic now to work on our project in the evenings after work.

Amazingly, it is 23 weeks to go.  Next weekend - we hit 5 months.  Exciting!  Frightening ...

til next time!
African GirlChild
aroscow

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its all looking really good!

How exciting for you both!!
GirlChild

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 17:56    Post subject: 5 months to go ... Reply with quote

I am not quite sure how it happened - we reached 5 months until departure.  I looked back over the journal, to remind myself of what we have accomplished so far, and I have amazed even myself.  The ideas are starting to take shape, moving from paper to real life … and back to paper and back to real life again. Wink

Most importantly, though, we are having fun!  This is something that is really ours - it truly belongs to us!  We can decide for ourselves what we want to do, and how - and then change our minds if we want to!  It excites me!

But there is still so much to do.

This week I had a chat to Paul Gowen at RAC about arranging the carnet for the trip.  I have a much clearer idea of the process involved.  We are opting for the insurance option, rather than the bank guarantee or cash deposit.  We’ll also be arranging our International Drivers Permits through him.  We’ll be sending our application form off in late June, which should give RAC plenty of processing time - even with the Olympics!

Onto the sewing projects -  the front car seat covers are finally complete.  That is - the Landcruiser front car seat covers are complete.  Wink  I have to confess, it was a lot more tricky that I had anticipated, and certainly a lot more of a fiddle.  With other sewing projects, I have had a picture in my mind of what I wanted to do, and just got on with it.  These car seat covers, on the other hand, have been a very iterative process.  It has been quite slow, and even seemingly simple tasks - like putting pockets on the back - have taken time.  Anyway, here they finally are!

The seat covers have eyelets so that the head rests can still be plugged in.  The buckles around the sides should hold the seat covers in place.  The back of the seat covers now has a variety of different sized pockets - books, pens and other little items can all be neatly stored for easy access.  Perfect!

On the vehicle front, progress continued with level one of the drawer system.  I took advantage of the long evenings during the week, and managed to complete the varnishing of the wooden drawers.  

This weekend, Very Helpful Friend came over to lend a hand.  He always asks the difficult questions that we don’t always ask ourselves, and serves as a good objective view on the proceedings.  As a result, a tweak to the design of the drawer system for additional stability.  This requires a little more construction, and more varnishing for me.

Having the right tools, the menfolk also completed the fitting of the loadguard - although the tweaking of the drawer design may require an adjustment to the loadguard.  We’ll have to wait and see.

Until next week!

kind regards
African GirlChild
blog: www.kapp2cape-blog.net
Overland from Nordkapp to Cape Agulhas
The adventure begins in October 2012!
4runner

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good work

my wife bought a new "Toyota" sewing machine. One of things she used it for was to repair a tear in one of searcover pockets.
she will also be making some curtains for back windows to keep sun and stop theifs seeing in back

2013 Hilux Invincible
Subaru Forester XT
D4D Yaris
GirlChild

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 20:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks 4runner - I am glad to hear that there are some other ladies out there doing their bit with sewing machines!  There are quite a few sewing related resources (which I have used) on our website - please do direct your wife in that direction!

kind regards
African GirlChild
blog: www.kapp2cape-blog.net
Overland from Nordkapp to Cape Agulhas
The adventure begins in October 2012!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Overland / offroad preparation All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: