All Wheel Drive Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Play in gear selector

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JimmyJ

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 16:45    Post subject: Play in gear selector Reply with quote

Hi
New to the forum and finding lots of helpful information on the site. Just bought a 1999 SWB manual - genuine UK car. Mileage is on the high side (153,000) but has an immaculate service history and obviously been well cared for. Anyway, noticed that there is a little play in the gear selector (about 4-5 mm of travel in all directions). Drives fine and doesn't stop you changing gear. I've only ever driven one other manual Landcruiser and not sure if this is a case of 'they all do that' or a sign that a trip to the workshop is needed to head off a bigger problem. Any advice gratefully welcome
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 16:45    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

BobMurphy
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 23:19    Post subject: Re: Play in gear selector Reply with quote

The gear lever isn't a solid rod, its in two parts with a spring holding top & bottom together (don't ask me why  Confused ).

We have had people complaining of rattles and play before - it doesn't seem to have anything to do with the selector rods in the gearbox extension.

The centre console comes off easily . . .

And the gearlever then unclips by removing a circlip . . .

You can then check whether the play is in the lever or the selector mechanism.

Let us know what you find   Smile .

Bob.
JimmyJ

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 17:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bob
Thanks for the detailed response and helpful pictures. I will break out the tools and take a closer look later in the week. Appreciate the assistance and will update the thread as to what I find
Smile
JimmyJ

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Update on this post. Followed Bob's helpful directions and established play was caused by connection between two parts of gear stick lever. Went back to the boards and found a thread on this which basically sums the problem up. (I can't paste the link as blocked by the admin - but search 'Gear Lever Rattle' on Landcruiser Owners' Club and you will find pictures of gearboxes and talk of mastic)

The only thing to add is the change in price. Went to my local Toyota dealer and they quoted me £116 excluding VAT  Shocked . Once I'd established that this did not include any hard drugs I left quickly. The part number for this is 33530F (33530-60340). I was wondering if anybody knew of any alternative outlets to buying from Toyota or good salvage yards that might have such a thing. Any suggestions gratefully received!

Jimmy
BobMurphy
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 16:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmmmm; I wonder what's going on inside these levers  Confused

We need to take one apart (with pictures), there must be a way of tightening them up.

What we need is a donor gearstick . . . . .   Wink .

Jimmy, try Karl Webster here - he may have a good used one..

Bob.
JimmyJ

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 16:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bob
Thanks for the contact details. I have emailed Karl for a quote. You are more then welcome to have my old one for the purpose of experimentation when I get a new one.
Best wishes
BobMurphy
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimmyJ wrote:
You are more then welcome to have my old one for the purpose of experimentation when I get a new one.

Right . . You're on  Laughing

Good luck with the search.

Bob.
steve allard

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

this sounds rough but it works african style, cut some inner tube into a long elastic and wrap it around tyhe stick where the joint is, fix it well and it will last for a long time
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: