All Wheel Drive Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

KZJ78 ECU

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 70 Series / Prado / Troopie / Bundera Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
prado13

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 15:48    Post subject: KZJ78 ECU Reply with quote

I have a 1994 KZJ78 which I have had for 6 yrs  Always been easy to start (switch   ignition on - leave for 10 sec or so for the heaters to heat-  turn to start and usually starts on half a turn of the engine or so) Not used for 6 weeks untill a ouple of days ago.  Started in same way as I always do - engine burst into life and ran normally for about 20 sec or so then coughed and slattered as though maybe  fuel starvation or  firing on 3 cylinders or timing out and  then cut out completely. Tried to start again but no joy and eventually ran  batteries down. Recharged batterries and went out to try to start this morning. Turned over butnothing Fuel seem  at  injectors .  - checked to make sure cam belt not jumped a notch or broken - all ok  which leaves me to think maybe  ECU . Sorry if I  appear stupid but can anyone explain how and where to find the ECU or any other advice .
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 15:48    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

oldblue

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 22:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remove the glove box , the ECU Box is bolted just below the dash and above the glovebox.
Yorkshire Devil

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 0:08    Post subject: Rough Starting Reply with quote

WHat about the glow plugs? When were they last changed?  I noticed a gradual deterioration then my car would not start.

Glow plugs replaced for £15 cheapest ever fix!
prado13

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 21:05    Post subject: ECU - KZJ78 Reply with quote

Thanks for the situation  info of the ecu will go there tomorrow. The glow plugs were changed about a year ago and the strange thing was that it started up on about half a revolution of the engine as it always has so I am baffled why after about 20 sec it all started to go wrong and shut down.

I was just thinking that maybe the ECU might have failed and all of a sudden started sending the wrong information out. A long shot maybe but i though if I could get the code number from the ECU I could maybe buy a cheap replacement just for the process of elimiationplus also if it wasnt the ECU at least I would have a future spare. Will let you know . Another strange thing and it might b my imagination but when the engine turns over it somehow sounds different but I cant put my finger why.
wobbly

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ecu for the KZJ78 is as rare as hens teeth - if you can find a spare then buy it, regardless of whether it is the problem this time or not.

There was an ecu related problem here last year - as I recall the owner found a company in Plymouth that refurbished it and returned it by post.

IIRC she was having gearbox changing issues, caused by th ecu.

I would suggect running through fuel issues first though, its more likely, ecu problems on the 3.0 are few and far between, fuel and cooling issues far more common.

Cheers

Pete
prado13

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 19:57    Post subject: kzj78 ECU Reply with quote

Im virtually a stones throw from Plymouth so interesting and thanks 4 that info Pete . Spent a bit of time on it 2day and took all the numbers  of the ECU (at least that was simple so I am very grateful 4 being told where 2 find it  ) . It seems that a replacement  ECU is  about £200 on e bay but I'm not convinced that the numbers  quite match up (bit more investigation on this also  )  Still no luck with starting but  interestingly checked out the length of time the glow plugs come on for which is  about 20 seconds and then they switch off which is also  about the same time that it ran b4 it  previously sharted to shut down.  

On turnover although the diesel comes out from the slackened injector pipe there doesnt seem to be much in the way of pressure so Im thinking I ought to find out  (a) if  an ECU failure would still allow an amount of  diesel  to flow from the pump to the injectors  and (b) it then follows how much pressure is required in order to allow the diesel to enter the injector  and reach into the cylinder . As it stands in my layman opinion compression   should fire it up and it should run  but its not, so again in my layman opinion it can only be either the pressure is to low and not flowing through the injectors or the timing is out and both of these  point to me to be the ECU being the cause !!! more investigation .
wobbly

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 20:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Careful with the ecu numbering - the KZJ78 and later KZT90/95 both share the same 3.0 engine, but the gearboxs are different, so the ecu from one will not fit the other.

The difference in part numbers is that the last two numbers are different ways round, very easy to buy the wrong one, which wont work on your truck.

Could it be the fuel pump, or filter - there is one in the tank which can clog up.

Pete
prado13

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 22:11    Post subject: ECU Reply with quote

Hi Pete

It all sort of happened to quick . I would have thought clogging up would be a bit progressive . The thing was it just shut down which for me I can relate to a resister or such like. Turning to the ECU I really dont know how to apply the numbers. My set of numbers on the ECU  are  89661   60250 then on a different line I got 175800  60250  it then say's 1 KZ -TE (which I know is the engine model) then at right angles it say's in large letters A-T. I need to learn  what they mean !! .  Michael
wobbly

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 0:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool,

89661 60520 is the ecu for the 90/95 series and is to be avoided as it will not work with your 78.

You need 89661 60250 (I'm guessing your model number is KZJ78W-PET on the chassis plate?)

Yours is the rocking horse poo one.

The company in Plymouth is called Tamar Electronics, recomended by greenbean on here.

I still think its a fuel flow issue though!

Cheers

Pete
prado13

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 22:39    Post subject: KZJ78 ECU Reply with quote

Hi again Pete  Thanx 4 the Tamar Electronics info I spoke to them 2day and they r going to do an  ECU  check over for about £40 which seems fairly good and they seem 2 know what they r about so thats nice but what they also did say was that its not possible 4 them to give it a full 100 % check because of the outside sensors that govern its use  mainly in the gearbox . Ill let u know how I get on with that but realistically its going to be at least a week or so b4 I can get it sorted.

I take your point about fuel and will b interesting 2 know what the cause turns out 2 b.

Dont suppose u have any info on fuel pump numbers ?

Yeh it is the poo one!  I  should have done some more checking b4 buying but there u go its all a learning curve !!

All the best Michael
wobbly

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 22:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you confirm the chassis type - its on the plate under the bonnet, it will be something one like the one I mentioned earlier.
prado13

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 22:58    Post subject: KZJ78 Reply with quote

Hi again Pete its parked down the road from my home but from memory (99.999% sure) its exactly as you said KZJ78W - PET .   cheers Michael
prado13

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:50    Post subject: PUMP Reply with quote

since my last post and just 2 confirm that fuel is reaching the pump ok.  The other thing is that I have checked the numbers on the pump which are  22100  67670 with E02 stamped on it .

A few years I bought a pump from a guy who was scrapping his surf due to its head failure and this pump also has the same numbering so I think I have might an identical pump  which I could change over. Looking at the pump its got a wedge key slot which obviously takes the drive cog and the belt drive but I have never changed one b4..

So I now got the  option of either swapping over the pump just in case there is a failure inside the pump or to proceed with my original theory that the ECU is the problem.
Have u ever swapped one of these pumps over  and if so any advice on the simplest way ?

Thanks  Michael
wobbly

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 16:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think jimbo4x4 changed one, bit of a pig to get to as I recall.

Pete
prado13

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 17:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi wobbly (Pete) Got the ECU back from Tamar Electronics. Still wont start so it looks as though u r right in that it must be the fuel !!! Someone said that it may be as simple as air between the pump and injectors and I should bleed/prime the system but then went on to say he couldn't give any further advice as it  had to be done by someone who knows what they are doing otherwise could do damage . I dont know how to do it but I want to know how properly to do it so I think I might put another topic on the forum headed "priming the pump". All the best Michael
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 70 Series / Prado / Troopie / Bundera Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: