Milner Off-Road

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

LC90 D4D Blown head gasket or cracked head

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mks

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 20:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy wrote:
I've always used the halfords 5 year pink stuff, never had any problems with any of my Surfs or Landcruisers.

Andy,
Thanks, That is what I'm using in my other cars so I think I'll go with that

Martin
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 20:02    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Lloydy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would flush just the engine - plug the bottom hose and fill the engine with a strong Jizer mix through the top, let it soak a while, then connect a garden hose to the heater outlet on the engine and flush it back through the top hose out into a bucket.
mks

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
I would flush just the engine - plug the bottom hose and fill the engine with a strong Jizer mix through the top, let it soak a while, then connect a garden hose to the heater outlet on the engine and flush it back through the top hose out into a bucket.

So having got all the bits. I set to work over the weekend
I patched up the old rad so that I could flush properly Did two flushes with Jizer, Lloydy that worked a treat and was well worthwhile.
Also flushed through the auto box. First a fill with fresh fluid, approx. 2l then run on park with rad hoses disconnected while filling with new fluid. Really gungy pink goo, smoothie texture. Gradually freeing up. Pushed about 15L of fresh ATF through the box before getting to clear red fluid. BTW while running the engine to flush the rad and get it up to temp, with the atf bypassing the rad it quickly got up the around 60 degrees C
Also disconnected the rear heater while the system was under pressure to flush out those long thin lines, worked a treat.
A couple of rad flushes with fresh water then off with the old rad and on with the new, easy job, then a refill with a 50/50 mix of Toyota red. Still had the atf bypassing the rad, wanting to check that there was no leakage, call me paranoid if you like. All looked well so reconnected the ATF to the rad and off for a test drive. Did about 10 miles and all seems ok with very smooth changes.
Plan to do another flush next weekend as I’m sure more stuff will have been flushed through during gear changes.
Might also remove the sump, not sure yet.
BTW when I took the old rad off it was very blocked with rubbish. You would have no idea as it is between the rad and the aircon rad so not visible, will try to post a pic.
The main weakness in the rad appears to be where the atf tubes pass through that radiator surface. They are bolted on here. On mine the thread in the rad wall had turned to goo. The connection into the internal pipe for atf cooling is just an o ring seal. No positive thread. A real weakness I think.  I’ll try to take some pictures.
So for anyone concerned about this problem, I would go and give those fittings a tweak. Better it comes off in your hand before any issues arise. I might try taking the rad apart to show the internals.
BobMurphy
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="mks"]
Lloydy wrote:
BTW when I took the old rad off it was very blocked with rubbish. You would have no idea as it is between the rad and the aircon rad so not visible, will try to post a pic.

You mean like this . . . . . .

Laughing    Laughing    Laughing

I've put warnings up before  Exclamation

Bob.
mks

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 0:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob,
Yes very similar but not quiet so blocked.
The car seems to be running smoothly so the good news is I don't have a cracked head or blown gasket. While investigating options , AMC do make a head for the D4D model although neither Milners or Roughtrax list one. I did contact AMC direct and got this information back for anyone that might need one, I don't have a cost but a bare genuine Toyota head is about £1500.

From: Drayton Automotive [mailto:drayton.uk@btinternet.com]
Sent: Monday, December 03, 2012 10:44 AM
To: Salter, Martin
Subject: FW: Request WEB information

Good morning Martin
Thank you for your enquiry which has been passed for my attention.
I handle the AMC ( cylinder heads) business here in the UK.
I regret that as we operate through national based Distributors - we cannot invoice & supply our product directly to you.
The head product you require appears to be our specification  (assembled cylinder head with valves): 908883.  
If you are interested to contact one of the following AMC Distributors -  They will be pleased to help/quote & supply.
Ivor Searle Ltd., Cambridgeshire: Telephone 01353 720531
Corry Motor Services, Bucks: Telephone 01296 662933
SMS Ltd., London: Telephone 0208 443 4443
Euro Car Parts,(Nationally): Telephone 0208 782 2578

Should you have any problems please revert to me via e-mail or telephone: 01943 609300.

Best Regards
Tony Dray
mks

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 0:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two gearbox flushes later and all seems to be well.
Will do another flush this weekend. Have a trip to Scotland soon so that will be the acid test
Lloydy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 19:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be very careful about checking the tightness of the ATF pipes where they enter the radiatior, I don't think they are threaded in even though they have a hexagon fitting that makes them look like a threaded fitting.
On mine I noticed a slight weep from the inlet to the radiator ATF pipe and just gently wiped the oil away with a rag and the fitting came out of the radiator. I've spent my working life as a maintenance fitter and have a lot of experience with hydraulic and pipe fittings, and this didn't look like a threaded fitting at all. I think, from memory, there is an O ring and the fitting is a push fit into the radiator tank and then it is held in place by glue under the hexagon. Tightening with a spanner will probably break it off.
I think I've posted pictures in another topic on this forum showing the fitting and radiator after I removed it, I'll search them out and maybe repost them here.
tim falce

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 19:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:

I think I've posted pictures in another topic on this forum showing the fitting and radiator after I removed it, I'll search them out and maybe repost them here.
Please do, I'm changing my rad soon so would like to see them.
Lloydy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 20:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found the pictures. if you look closely at the fitting there is a thread, but I don't think it does anything. If you look in the radiator tank there is no thread, and it hasn't corroded away either. Of that I'm certain because under the *beep* and scaly corrosion everything was clean with no pitting, there was machined surfaces and the hole diameter was greater than the outside diameter of the thread. There is a groove for the O ring to fit into, the O ring can just be seen in the radiator tank, that is the seal and that was still working, the corrosion got into the fitting from outside, you can see a large washer on the fitting, that is fixed, I think it is bonded to the hex' part of the fitting, and then the washer is bonded to the radiation tank.
The hexagon DOES NOT ROTATE ON THE FITTING - so don't try to tweak the nut tight, it will break the bonding that is probably already suffering from corrosion.
My feeling is, the washer does rotate on the fitting at assembly, they fit the pipe on the fitting, put some glue on both sides of the washer, push the fitting into the radiator and let the glue set. This would allow for any small directional difference in the rubber ATF pipe, the bond would set with the pipe in a natural position.

I thought I took some pictures with the fitting and radiator cleaned up more, but I obviously didn't Rolling Eyes which is a shame as they would have shown what I describe better.
This was an original Toyota radiator as well, the aftermarket one I fitted had proper threaded fittings, the sort that should be in as OEM !
Lloydy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 23:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

for some reason I can't can't see how to edit a post, so I'll add some more comments here.

The first picture is the return to the g'box, and the fitting is damn near corroded through, and the method of attachment is the same.
In the second picture what might look like a thread isn't, it's the internal vanes of the cooler. The ring of corrosion corresponds to the corrosion on the upper part of the thread of the fitting.
The next picture with the fitting in the radiator is 'posed' the fitting is loose and would not hold pressure. You can see here that the hexagon and the pipe are 'one' They are soldered together, when cleaned up properly this was 100% obvious. So turning the 'nut' would turn the whole fitting and NOT tighten anything, only break the bond.
The final picture shows the corrosion, and I think it is self evident that it has come from outside. The bond of the washer to the radiator has failed and allowed water in, and we know how salty and corrosive road spray is. The corrosion is starting from the washer and going towards the O ring, not the other way around which would indicate a failure of the O ring.
mks

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy,
Thanks for posting the pictures, you have saved me a job, mine looked just the same. I take your points about the fittings being bonded. When I said tweak them, I meant by hand not with a spanner. If it comes off in your hand, like mine and yours did, you might just catch it early enough to save  the oil and water mixing. As you say, separating the oil and water with glue and an o ring is just naff. My new rad also had separate fittings but I didn't try to remove the fitting from the rad to see what it looked like, did you?, or was the new fitting still bonded to the rad?
Agree the fittings on my £100 afar market red look better quality than those on the £550 Toyota job and quality elsewhere looks identical.

Martin
mks

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 16:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having just returned from Scotland after a 1000 plus miles, all seems well post the oil/water mixing issue. I have noticed that the engine seems to be taking longer to warm up presumably as I now have a radiator that isn't clogged with straw. I was thinking perhaps about fitting an electric fan to replace the viscous fan. Should enable faster warm up and better MPG, I'm surprised that it doesn't have an electric fan as standard. I have also noticed that the MPG has improved a bit since flushing the ATF.
OG.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 14:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully you caught the problem early enough to avoid transmission damage. The PO of my Colorado didnt and had the gear box bodged to seel. Two weeks after I bought it (from a dealer) the box failed and required a full rebuild (dealer paid half so not complaining).

The ATF cooler is now external on mine and goes nowhere near the radiator. It is an air to oil cooler with its own electric fan.

Regarding viscous fans vs electric ones in my opinion there is little benefit to changing as the viscous can drag far more air through than an electric when required and is designed to freewheel (after an initial burst on first startup) and only drive when required. The difference is quite audible.
mks

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 0:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thought I would post back on progress since the dreaded coolant/atf mixing episode. Well 2000 miles on and all is running tickety boo. Been to Scotland and back with no issues. Did another ATF last weekend change just to be sure. What came out was bright red with no signs of contamination. So I have flushed approx 50L of dexron 3 through the box and I'm happy that it is completely clean

So an encouraging note for anyone else who suffers a similar fate, if caught early enough there doesn't have to be any lasting ill effects.
HairyWookie
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 13:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting read; really glad you are all sorted.

They truly are tough old sods; provided issues are caught early by monotoring everything mechanical on them, coolant level, coolant colour, warm up times, oil level, oil colour etc, I think you have to go a long way to causing lasting damage.

One query though; what is Jizer??
Need to do a coolant change on mine this year; looked at Forte flush.

Thank you,

1997 KZJ95 3.0TD GX Manual (Jess)
Weekend Warrior with 18 years of mechanical experience; still learning...
Occasional use on SVO...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: