4x4 Mart magazine discount

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

HJ60 with 12HT as a daily driver??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 60 Series Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snatchblock

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 8:14    Post subject: HJ60 with 12HT as a daily driver?? Reply with quote

Newbie here, so please forgive stupid questions. I run a 2001 hilux 2.4d currently, and am missing some power when towing, or when in the hills. I am thinking of buying a cheap, (460,000km) HJ60, and having it completely rebuilt, but retaining the original 12HT motor. Can anyone give me an idea of the feasability of this, plus how driveable/economical?? It would be to drive.
Here in Norway, the max legal speed is only 100kph, and that is only for about 150 kms of road! I use what would be described as A or B roads mainly, loads of snow every year, and the truck has to haul trailers of firewood, and my sports cars, ( about a 2700kg load).

Any comments welcome, due to the tax system here, any vehicle over 30 yrs is a veteran, and benefits from no road tax, cheap insurance etc. I would probably be looking for someone in the uk to help me with the rebuild.

Many thanks,
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 8:14    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

moggy 1968

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 1:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

towing is best described as leisurely. the lack of a turbo means you'll often be dropping down the gears and slowing to 40mph or so on even a relatively gentle incline. They only produced 99hp when new! Lots of torque though
moggy 1968

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 1:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

this guy renovates cruiser in the uk

http://www.overland-cruisers.co.uk/

although mine is being done by these guys

http://www.wlr4x4.co.uk/

they do all kinds of 4x4s, not just landrovers and have done all my expedition prep on vehicles over the last 10 years or so
Snatchblock

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 8:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi muggy, thanks for the info, the 12ht does have. Turbo, as I understood it, it puts out about 130 hp? My current pickup only has 92!

Will check out both websites, thanks.
moggy 1968

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 1:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

met up with the guy who runs this outfit today to pick up some bits

www.cruiserworld.eu/

he has a 12ht in his H60. He says the thing you will really notice over the 12H is the increase in torque, certainly important for what you are wanting. I think you'll find it a big improvement over the hilux, not to mention the higher towing capacity as well, although your payload on the vehicle is less.
AndyLL

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 15:01    Post subject: 12HT Reply with quote

Having used a 61 with a 12HT engine a while ago for a couple of years I found it very good.The trucks performance was very good and pulled up hills and towed well. It is an auto which I think suits it well. Fuel consumption was in the low 20's usually 22-23. Compared with a 2H engine with an aftermarket turbo kit it has the edge but not by much. The 2H engine responds to turbocharging well as its under stressed and quite robust and seems to handle an increase in power without a problem.
Any info on 60's just ask.

Andy
Snatchblock

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 15:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks you gents, I am now waiting on a reply from the guy I'm supposed to be buying the truck from! If he says yes, I guess there will be loads more questions!
Adam
priffe

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

HJ60 came with the 2H engine no turbo 103 hp

1986 (iirc) came the HJ61 with the legendary 12HT engine, which has 135 hp and more torque.
It is one of the best diesel engines  ever built.

If you buy a HJ60 with a 12HT engine, it has been converted.

I drive a 1981 HJ60 with a 12HT engine.
These cars can pull 3-4 tons and you wont even notice.
Excellent for towing.

Parts for 12HT are a little hard to come by, and more expensive than for the ubiquitous 2H.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 60 Series Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: