Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Advice on 100 series

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 100 Series / Amazon Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grimbo
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 22:12    Post subject: Advice on 100 series Reply with quote

Hi, thinking of changing my 96, 24v for a later 100 series, 98-2000 model year.Any advice, opinions gratefuly recieved. Is it even worth the hassel? are they a giant step forwards? can i still fix it with my hammer and screwdriver? Smile
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 22:12    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Towpack

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 0:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 100 series (diesel) has basically the same engine as the last 80's but with electronic ECU controlled injection.That added complexity usually means dealer fixes for fuelling problems.They also have IFS so the on road ride is better plus, depending on model,they have extra 'toys' like traction control,active suspension,sat nav etc... but I certainly wouldn't call them a giant leap forward.More refined yes.It all comes down to personal preference.Try one or two and see for yourself.

1998 HDJ80 Amazon VX 4.2TD
2004 Yamaha R1 (Sold)
2011 Ducati 1198SP (Sold)
2012 kawasaki ZZr1400
2002 Honda XR650R (BRP)- STOLEN GRRRRR!!!
2010 Husaberg FE570....YIPPEEEEE!!!!
2003 GT XCR3000
1995 Border Collie-Passed away 23-5-2011
dloughrey

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I changed from a 1995 24v 4.2 ( which I loved ) to a 1998 4.7 V8.
It was then that I discovered I didn't know what love was, until now!
It is Heaven! I cannot describe how smooth it is. It just floats!
500SEC

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 15:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the 100, Toyota drifted into a different market from the 80... I think there are plenty of 80 devotees who wouldn't see themselves as 100 owners. On another forum the 100 was referred to as a 4x4 MPV, which has stuck with me. I like them, but for my purposes, the 80 beats it in most areas. I only wish Toyota would make a modern day 80, so that when time comes to move up, there's something to move up to ! The nearest thing I see to it is a new Nissan Patrol.

The benefits of a 100 are it's ability to carry loads of people comfortably, and for the V8 to travel smoothly at higher speed on the freeway.

I just wish car manufacturers would stop their obsession with size, luxury, leather and wood... basic spec is fine provided the fundamental car design is right.

Enough rambling... bored at work here.

1986 Mercedes 500SEC
1996 TLC 4.2 GS TD
2006 Ford Falcon ute
Grimbo
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 20:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, i agree with the comment on change for changes sake, perhaps I should think of the 80 as a 4x4 version of the spitfire, some go faster, some ride better, some look more modern, but the 80 is just "right" somehow, still be nice with a Merlin in it!! , oooh that sound..... even better reason to keep the bruiser is I don't have 18k + to spend on one at moment . Sad
lucky
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 23:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

105 series GX trim only also import only is the modern day 80 series. Solid axles, simple, even available with 12v 1HD-T and 1HZ engine but 100 series looks and most of the comfort. When they start getting a little older thats what I'm going for.
Grimbo
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 21:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have driven 105 quite a bit, but it was armoured, so therefore not really a good comparison, as you say, an 80 in a 100 body so to speak. Rode really well, but all that steel and glass makes her not half so nimble as standard cruiser, really is built like a tank though ! Smile
realspeed

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 0:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is one big advantage with the 100, and that is the wife soon gives up shouting instructions when sitting in the 3rd row of seat, especially if the radio is turned up loud.

Realspeed
Grimbo
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 21:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sold !! I'll have one ... Laughing
Gensetsteve

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 21:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had 1993 vx bought 1999 vx about 2 years ago much nicer. You dont realise how out of date the 80 series looks and feels until you move up. If you get a good cruiser you dont need the dealer. 80 was a good vehicle 100 even better.
macbuzzard

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:06    Post subject: Caution Reply with quote

Hi
You probably don't want to hear this but I have just exchanged my 2003 Amazon 4.2TD for a Nissan - I became fed up with things going wrong on a car that is sold on its quality and reliability.  Alloy wheels corrosion (second set suffering after only a year), horn intermittent failure, several leaks in aircon system which were only found on 5th attempt, rear suspension sensor failure, bad vibration developed when idling - and so on.

This is a car which cost over £46000 and has 38,000 miles on the clock.  Maybe I was just unlucky, and matters were made worse by simply hopeless dealers in Glasgowq and Inverness.

Seats were comfy, though.....
DaveN

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 18:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you swap it for a Patrol?
Gensetsteve

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 19:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
You probably dont want to here this but I went back to a landcruiser after a dire experience with a new Nissan and at least 6 dealers. Nissan is now owned by reno or citreon I forget which and after sales service is diabolical.

They charge a fortune to service badly and when things go wrong try every trick in the book to wiggle out of warranty work.

I bought the vehicle new and sold it after only two years and was glad to see it disappear up the drive.
macbuzzard

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 9:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, top of the range Pathfinder which I never even considered until being persuaded to drive it - it really is very good (particularly off-road) for the price of around £29K.

On the subject of dealers, it seems wholly luck-based.  The Toyota one up here is so useless it's almost humerous, the Nissan one comes across as so much more professional and helpful.  But time will tell.

The attraction of a bicycle grows ever stronger....
Gensetsteve

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 14:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

The smaller 4x4 are often more advanced cheaper and nicer to drive unfortunately they dont tow 3.5 tonne so I cant consider them. Best of luck. The Nissan vehicle was ok just the dealers were poor.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 100 Series / Amazon Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: