2Gether FS : 01945 585322

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Moving to Land-Rover.... Discovery 4

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 150 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dannyson

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 23:27    Post subject: Moving to Land-Rover.... Discovery 4 Reply with quote

Decided had enough - forum dead for the 150 and after last service report thought change of Marque was on the cards ... so ordered LR Disco 4 HSE with extras.  So quiet and nippy ..... not due until September.  My 150 been good to me though ... so far.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 23:27    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

fast but dim

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 20:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed

as a former D3 owner.... good luck Twisted Evil
dannyson

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 22:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm hoping things have changed and the last of the D4s (before the new D5 2016/17) will be sound.  I've been loitering on the Disco forum for some time .... (nothing happening here).... and feel reasonably comfortable with my decision - time will tell if I live to regret it .... meanwhile the car to drive was pretty stunning I have to say... but 'get there in a LandRover - but if you want to get back take a LandCruiser', is always on my mind of course - but hey! - I figure lifes to short not to take some calculated risks.... Confused
Glenn

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 12:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Luck at least you will get to know the service receptionist and Technicians by there christian names.
dannyson

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 10:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe ..... we'll see   Wink
Gargy

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 20:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having come the other way from a Range Rover sport TDV8. I wish you luck.

Nicer car to drive on the road, but other wise, just to many glitches.................. IMHO.
dannyson

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 22:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK - thanks Gargy .... I'm getting more jumpy about my decision as the days go by......  Embarassed   but I feel its time for a change from Toyota - I've had the Colorado, then the 120 and now the 150 (around 15 years in all....) don't want to get 'stuck in a rut' as it were (pun intended) - looking forward, with some trepidation to a change.....
Gargy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 18:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

dannyson wrote:
OK - thanks Gargy .... I'm getting more jumpy about my decision as the days go by......  Embarassed   but I feel its time for a change from Toyota - I've had the Colorado, then the 120 and now the 150 (around 15 years in all....) don't want to get 'stuck in a rut' as it were (pun intended) - looking forward, with some trepidation to a change.....

I'm not trying to put you off the Landrover at all. It's just better to know what your getting into................ I was lucky with no problems at all, but there are some horror stories out there. You will find the forums busy with peoples gripes about the marque.
They certainly have more kudos than the Toyota, but I'm afraid the engineering isn't as good.

Fingers crossed that you get a good one....  Smile  Smile
dannyson

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 22:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been reading the Disco forum - and theres a lot to read Rolling Eyes  ...... it seems the car has a hell of a lot of electronic 'wizardry' ....... and hence a lot more to go wrong.... yes plenty of gripes but plenty of good stories as well.  It seems to me the LandCruiser is pretty basic by comparison.  Yes - lets hope it is a good one .... Confused
4runner

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 18:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way I read your post, it sounds like like one of reasons you are changing vehicle is because the 150 forum on here is too quiet!!!!

I haven't read this forum for a while, I have a hilux now  and most of posts seem of be about people issues with vehicle.  So that is why the 150 part is quiet, no issues!
And landrover one is busy, lots of issues Smile

But the hilux forum I read is mainly focused on mods and using the vehicle not griping about issues Smile

2013 Hilux Invincible
Subaru Forester XT
D4D Yaris
dannyson

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 21:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy  ...... sure not the reason I'm changing!!!  Very Happy  Very Happy  and.... to be fair most of the posts on the Disco forum are about mods and how to use the vehicle with all its electronic gizmos..... much more fun it seems than the LandCruiser which there is not a lot you can 'play' with ........ have a look at the Disco forum and you will see what I mean..... Very Happy
deltafive

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 16:57    Post subject: Disco 4 Reply with quote

Just googled this threadhttp://landroverhell.com/article/4010/. All is not well with D4s here are plenty of upset owners out there, including one lucky guy who thought of taking one on a trip to Namibia but saw sense. I did visit Zambia and surrounding area last year and it is all LCs, just a few old Defenders mostly with the bonnet up.
I was thinking of changing and test drove a D4 HSE a couple of months ago, nice car but not much better than my 120 V6 and if you add electric heated seats and sunroof to the basic D4 it is quite a lot more expensive, so decided to do without the kudos. The part I don't understand is, both vehicles have similar electronics, why do LR products need constant upgrades to cure faults, when MrTs don't.
The LC120  still looks good at 100k, the only non consumable I have had to fit is a pair of front calipers and I don't need a relationship with my dealer because it simply has not been back since the third service.

LC120 V6 lpg x 2
Hilux D4D MK 6
Hilux MK2
14all_and_all41

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 22:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

And you just put the new flaps on  Very Happy

Hope it works out, ATB
dannyson

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 22:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile
rogerlandcruiser

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:59    Post subject: Disco Reply with quote

Danny Son,

I can only tell you about my own brother's experience with the Disco.

He had a warning light come up on the dashboard about 3 months ago on his 4 year old Disco. He took it to Land Rover and they told hime a sensor was faulty on the front Diff. Which ment to get to it the engine and gear box had to come out. Part was around £20 +vat but labour was £1500!!

One of the reasons we chose the LC over the disco just last week was because of the sheer difference in running costs, servicing, warranty and reliability.

In the end my brother who luckily knew one of the mechanics (who told him exactly what to say) was able to get the price halved for the fix.

Also take a look at the manufacturers reliability study carried out by What Car in 2012 (they do it every year I believe) Land Rover were last

Honda were 1st with Toyota in 2nd.......

Example:
three year running costs for our LC at 65,000 miles currently:

3 x services - 2 interims and a major + MOTs x 3 - £969
2 year warranty with Toyota £918 including breakdown. Both of these first two can be paid monthly with no interest fixing the price.
Break pads front to replace including labour £140 (same for rear)
pads and disks £300 (same for rear)
economy they are both about the same on the diesel
Pre 2012 LC I believe is £500 road tax as opposed to the LC which is £290

You can see why we went this way - If you can find a 2 year warranty for a disco with similar sort of mileage and age for less than £1800 you'll be doing well.

I'm not trying to put you off just show you how we came to our decision to buy the LC.

I advised my older bro not to buy his disco because Land Rover have great prestige but they are one of these cars that you really need to have the money in the bank to run them and to fix them when they go wrong.

I'm not trying to put you off

Roger Land Cruiser

2011 plate 60th Anniversary LC in Astral Black

Mods: LED internal lighting replacement and LED side lights/Rear number plate Illumination.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 150 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: