4x4 Mart magazine discount

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

headlights come on by them selfs

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
busdennis

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:52    Post subject: headlights come on by them selfs Reply with quote

morning all.
Noticed last week the headlights were on (haven't used the cruiser for days) They turned of with the switch which was on the off position, this has append several times since and is getting more often. Its only the headlights, not the side or tail lights which is why i changed the headlight relay first but this has not worked.  
if it was the light switch would it affect the tails light aswell? what would you check next?
thanks
Dennis
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:52    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

diggerdave

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's not the switch and it's not the relay, it might be a possible earthing issue.  Try cleaning the body earth point.  Its a long shot, but corroded earth pconnections can cause all kinds of wacky problems
Roger Fairclough

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like switch to me.

Roger
busdennis

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 17:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

changed the headlight switch today with no success, any thoughts on the next move apart from going to see an auto electrician lol
andy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it has a tow bar check the plugs.
Mercedes Sprinter 311 Luton
1993 VX80 4.2td SOLD
1996 Hilux Surf SSR-G Intercooler Sold
1994 Hilux Surf SSR-V Sold
NeilJ

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 16:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

When this happens pull the headlight relay if they go out you know there is  astray feed going to headlight relay. If they stay on they are picking up feed from after the relay.
DaveWall

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

What year is yours...?

Is this happening with the Key in the off position, or just when the engine/rest of the vehicle is on?

Any signs of previously fitted driving lights (especially if they used those horrible clamp on the wire bridging connectors, they basically cut the insulation)?

What other non standard  electrics have been fitted (are there any additional wires connected to the battery for anything else)?
busdennis

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks all
pulling the relay turns off the lights
its a 98 prado which ive owned 10 years, everything looks standard from what i can see
DaveWall

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think from memory, there is a constant live feed to the switch on the end of the indicator stalk, but like you say - if the switch was shorting you would expect the rear lights to be on too - I cant think (will go try my switch later) if its two position and the first position does the sidelights then the second twist does the headlights, so there could be a short feeding +ve direct to the second position.  

I think I would have the cowling off around the steering wheel and find the connector for the indicator stalk/light switch, check that all out.

Find the trigger wire for the headlights and clip a meter on it then give everything a good wiggle, see if you can power it up without actually turning the lights on

If it is happening regularly you could unplug the stalk/light switch and see if it eliminates the problem. If it does, maybe try and get some contact cleaner in around the contacts before replacing anything.
busdennis

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 15:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks again
could nt find a live feed to the head light stalk switch without the ignition on. with the ignition on there was a live switch for the indicators at the top part of the wiring block (green).
At the relay i had two live feeds both with and without the ignition on
DaveWall

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 15:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right sounds like the switch on the stalk grounds the relay to turn the lights on - so there is a short to earth between relay and switch or the switch itself shorting out.

Just to check - on your model, could you leave headlights on and turn the ignition off (I'm sure I can on my 97 UK model)

I'll have a chance to check mine on the weekend if you want me to.  But start with un-plugging the stalk connector and leaving it unplugged, see if it eliminates the problem.
RADIOTWO

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 15:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

busdennis wrote:
thanks again
could nt find a live feed to the head light stalk switch without the ignition on. with the ignition on there was a live switch for the indicators at the top part of the wiring block (green).
At the relay i had two live feeds both with and without the ignition on

Hi
You say you have two live feeds ? is that with the relay plugged in or out ?
and what number pins are live ?
busdennis

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 13:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

after changing relays and switches the problem went away until yesterday 11 months later when the problem started again, must be the time of year
Wildmutt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 23:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. Have you checked that water isn't dripping onto the fuse box under the dash by any chance? You may have a leaking windscreen in the corner drivers side. Might be worth having a look under there next time its raining. The headlights on the Colorado are permanently live and the stalk switches the earth between the bulb connections to make them work.

Keeping everyone happy is impossible. Pissing them off is a piece of cake......I like cake.
funkydung

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 23:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

busdennis wrote:
after changing relays and switches the problem went away until yesterday 11 months later when the problem started again, must be the time of year

Hi
Did you find a solution to the problem?
This evening, I have just suffered the same symptoms of headlights turned on without switch being on. '99 colorado.( same time of year too)
by turning lights on then off, headlights go off for a few seconds then come back on (relay is heard clicking on )
any suggestions
Thanks
Richard
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: