All Wheel Drive Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Steering rack bushes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
regthing
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 23:59    Post subject: Steering rack bushes Reply with quote

Finally got round to changing the steering rack bushes.

Purchased the kit form Milner. Slightly disappointed as it wasn't quite right.

The ID of the steel collar in the bush in the LHS is too small for the bolt. Nothing 10 mins with a rat tail file didn't fix. So only minor. Incedentaly the the large washer shown with the bush on the RHS goes with the bush on the LHS, this is supplied loose so no issue.

The other problem is that the ID of the collar for the bush on the RHS is too large. The midgies where starting to get feirce so I didn't hang about to measure it up. Off hand I'm thinking its drilled to M12 and the bolt is M10 (TBC) so there will still be play until I get a new collar made. I also read elsewhere that cutting this one in half and feeding it from either end makes the job a lot easier. I tried getting it in in one piece but not for too long.... midgie hell by this point.

The big doughnut bush in the middle is spot on. There are some power steering tubes that need to be pushed out of the way to get the "horsecollar" bracket far enough out to replace it but there is enough flexibity in them to this. Just remove the small clamp plate attached to the "horsecollar" bracket first.

Something to note if you're going to do this. The bush on the RHS is mounted with the bolt verticle. The nut on the underside of the rack is welded on so don't spend too long trying to loosen it. The bolt comes down from above  Embarassed  Embarassed

No pics but I'll take some when I strip it again to replace the small collar. I'll probably do this in a few weeks when I can get use of a garage and not the gutter.

Anyone else with knacked bushes who doesn't know. Toyota don't sell the bushes as spares. They will only sell you a new rack for mucho £££s. This aftermarket kit is £23 and a couple of hours work.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 23:59    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good post.

I did mine some years ago (previous 90). It's a common MOT failure. Drives so much better afterwards.

But, at the time Milner did not sell this product. They fitted it for you. I sent my whole rack to them and they pressed the parts in. It was incredible afterwards as I said. £50 all in. Interesting that there seem to be some dimensional problems. Keep the posts coming.

LC
regthing
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would appear that the collars are cut from the same clothe so to speak but the two bolts are different sizes.

I’ll get more details when I strip it down again. The larger collar (LHS) fits over the threaded part of the bolt but not the non threaded section which is a baw hair thicker than the threaded section. The bolt is say 8-10” long with only the last 2” threaded. Designed for the thread but not the bolt. Getting the large collar in is a bit of a squeeze but there are a couple of ribs in the underside of the rack that are handy for getting a set of gland pliers onto. The last 10-20mm can be pulled through with the bolt. Same with the bush. Get the two halves in as far as you can by hand then fit the bolt to pull them together.

Oh and other point to note if doing this job is get both front wheels off the ground as you’ll need free play in the wheels to get the rack where you need it. Torque setting I used was “horsed up with a  24” breaker bar.”I’d read somewhere that the setting where quite high..

It is amazing the difference it makes. Managed a bit of over steer twice this morning. Mind you first rain we’ve had in a week so the roads where a bit slippy.  But I definitely don’t need to turn the wheel as much now!  Shocked
Manicminer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 14:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just had an MOT failure
'Front Steering system has excessive free play detected at the steering wheel'
would this be the bushes or something else?

I haven't been underneath to have a look yet.
regthing
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 14:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite possibly. If you look under the car whilst someone else turns the steering wheel you will be able to see the rack move from side to side. I believe a small amount of play is normal. But if they haven't been done they will probably be shot.
Manicminer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 15:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a quick look with the wife at the controls Rolling Eyes

The steering rack twists forwards and backwards on the bushes + a little side to side and I could feel some play in the wheel bearings on the driver side so between them they would add up to excessive free play I suppose. No play in the track rod ends or the rack itself.
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 22:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tip - do this test with the engine off.

LC
regthing
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 22:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got round to some pics. Didn't have time to strip out the bush collar o get the right size.

Removing this tubing clamp allows enough free play to remove the U-clamp.

This is the captive nut (welded on) so don't spend time trying to get it off. The bolt comes in from above.

I did this without removing the rack. Just got the wheels off the ground.
24Seven

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 17:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fitted my kit from Milners yesterday and everything fitted fine without modification, so I'm guessing Milners now have stock that fits  Shocked   Smile
Rivers

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 17:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an old thread I know but which way up does the center bush go that the bolt drops down from top? My bush from milner's has different lips top and bottom  Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: