2Gether FS : 01945 585322

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

VISCOUS FAN HUB

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
raven

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 17:40    Post subject: VISCOUS FAN HUB Reply with quote

Heres a youtube video of removing and refilling viscous fan hub with oil.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ACx7GTCn7Y

this is the brand diff oil i used which is for radio control cars i believe.

http://www.lmrrc.com/associated-silicone-diff-fluid-10000cst-16268-p.asp

I done my hub and the hardest part was undoing the philips bolts holding the 2 parts of the hub together. I used some heat in the end to get the bolts moving.

good luck.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 17:40    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

modvrs

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 19:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. How much oil did you put in?
raven

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 19:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello i filled it up to the top level of the holes like in the video.
chriswoollett

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 20:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Was there a problem with your fan that made you do it or just a service?

My 90 with 1kz-te engine stays completely cold (according to the temp gauge on the dash) and fan is spinning as soon as I start it, could this help?

Rad hose at the top feels warm after a while. Car has 300000+ on the clock

Thanks
raven

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 22:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello yea my engine overheated , truck was of the road for 3 years and I renewed rad , fluids and lots of other stuff but didn't think about fan hub.

2 weeks after being back in the road the while on the motor way the engine over heated.  Fan hub was empty? Don't know how the fluid disappeared as it was sealed together very well and took ages to get it apart.

Without the oil in the hub it can't lock up when it heats up so just spins at a slow rate which doesn't do enough.

Cheers.
raven

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 22:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

For info temp guage on dash not accurate and not that fast to respond when engine initially starts getting hot.  I have a separate water temp sensor and guage  in the cabin now so I can see exactly what the temp is doing right there and then.

Also fan always spins when engine is running but when engine gets hot there is a little temperature sensative wire coil on the front of the fan hub this in turn with the oil in the hub helps lock the fan to the spindle from the engine via the hub making it spin as fast as the engine is reving.

Without the hub locking the fan to the hub just spins at a slow idle rate while the spindle from the engine  maybe spinning really quick.

I was doing 70mph on a motorway up a hill  and because my hub was empty of oil  and not able to lock with the heat of the engine the fan was only spinning at an idle speed which was not adequate enough to cool rad and hot coolant.

This is basically how the hub works .

Cheers
chriswoollett

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with you, great description thanks thumbright

I might look into the extra temp gauge as a precaution, gets pretty hot in the summer here! I think I have seen some other posts somewhere about something like this, how easy was the new sensor to fit and where did you fit it and the gauge?

Cheers
raven

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello it was easy to fit , I bought online a aluminium section that has a sensor threaded port on the side.

I fitted this by cutting the main radiator hose in half. The bottom rad hose has the hottest water going to rad and the top hose has the cooled water returning back to the engine block.

I got the water temp sensor and guage together online as a kit.

Both the temp sensor hose adaptor and sensor and guage are widely available on line by many companies. A Google search should provide results.

Cheers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: