Milner Off-Road

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Colorado using veg oil?

Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Bio-diesel / SVO / alternative fuels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oleum

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 13:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made the short trip to MK on saturday. 120l of veg oil was around £85. I had to buy a funnel (B and Q £3). The 35l of Diesel I bought was £43.
I chucked in 2 of the 6 20l containers of veg oil. So I have enough for 2 more tanks full.

Total cost for 225litres of fuel will be £85 + 3 + 3x43 = £217 which is 96.4p/litre

I'm thinking that saves me about 25p/l currently and I use about 35l a week which is 8.75 a week = £450 a year - nearer £500 if I don't keep losing the damn funnel every month. If I made biodiesel I could probably save another £1000 a year but the amount of hassle would be a LOT more. There would be a bigger outlay - maybe £1500 and I may well be taking health risks. I suspect that biodiesel has less chance of doing harm to my engine over a period of long term use but its hard to quantify.

So SVO/Diesel mix at 53/47 is what those figures are based on. I plan on actually using more like a 75/25 mixture. So what are the figures like for this and some other mixtures - at current prices.
50:50 96.4p/l Saves £464 - £38 a month
60:40 91.3p/l Saves £556
70:30 86.2p/l Saves £649
75:25 83.6p/l Saves £742 - £58 a month
80:20 81.1p/l Saves £742

So given I don't use a huge amount of fuel, for me the most cost effective and least time wasting alternative to full price diesel is to use a 75:25 mixture though if the weather gets hot I'l probably go to 80:20 and if it gets colder, back down to more like 60:40. I'm happy with this. Obviously this assumes no change in fuel economy or decrease in volume on mixing. I haven't bothered to test these. If anyone does or has then let me know.

Another way of looking at it is that every 20l container of veg oil you put in saves you £10.20.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 13:50    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

oleum

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 13:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

A year on, how prices have changed. But the savings are about the same.

Veg oil is now costing me 1.02 a litre
Diesel locally is around 1.38 a litre

thats 36p saving a litre.

I reckon on a tank full (almost) thats 60l of veg oil and 15l or so of diesel So I am saving .36x60 each fill, I don't do many miles so its maybe 2-3 tanks a month.
2.5 tanks full x 60 x.38 is my saving a month about £57 or 684 a year. Its not so far off last years calculation of £742.
bonemachine

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 19:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can also use used engine oil Smile
aroscow

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi bonemachine

How are you cleaning it before use!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Bio-diesel / SVO / alternative fuels All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: