Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Newbie with an oil leak

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bill210

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 18:46    Post subject: Newbie with an oil leak Reply with quote

Hi all, Second attempt at posting this....as a newbie I cant upload images!

Ive been a long time stalker of this forum but have just decided to join as a I have an issue I could do with some help with!

Ive had my 2005 LC5 for 3 years and its been great. I replaced the air suspension all round with a set from Pedders giving it a 2" lift after an MOT fail for the rear airbags, but other than that its been good as gold.

I have now noticed I have a small leak in the engine bay, nothing outrageous, the oil light comes on when the engine is cold but when its warmed up and the oil is circulating it goes off. When checking the oil it is low but by no means empty. I can top the oil up and the issue wont happen again for upto 6 months.

I am going to give it a service in the next few weeks and would like to fix the problem properly rather than just keep topping it up!

This is where it gets difficult without images....

There is a 3" diameter rubber grommet-esque to the top right of the engine cover as you look from the front bumper.  There is an electrical connection on the top (triangular shape.) This is the part that appears to be leaking but i cannot work out what it is, and google isnt helping on this occaison!

The oil appears to be coming from under the rubber seal/grommet.

I have pictures i can send via PM providing newbies are allowed.

Apologies for the vague description and the lack of knowledge!

Thanks in advance!!

Bill
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 18:46    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

modvrs

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 19:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm wondering if you can post pics as they are not hosted on this site only referred to by BBCode. Do you see the "Disable BBCode in this post" tickbox underneath the main text entry boxand can you untick it? Have a look at my recent post in the Computer Bytes section of the forum for more info. Sorry but can't help on the leak other than to say clean everything up as much as possible and look everwhere; also I have a petrol 95.
Bill210

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 18:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your prompt reply. I have an imgbb account as you mention in your post but as I am a new user I have to contribute a designated amount of posts before I am allowed to add U.R.L's. (so the pop up box tells me!)

I probably should have mentioned what engine mine was.....it is the 3.0 D4D Diesel.

When i have contributed a bit more ill add the photos and see if anyone can help.

Thanks again

Bill
mawdsk

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 15:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

3” is big, do you mean the air intake hose?
jamie850

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 23:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't let it get so low that the oil low pressure warning light comes on. It's a the car warning to say that the oil pressure is low and hence engine is being starved of oil - not a warning that the oil level is a bit low please top me up.
As to where it's coming from I'm not sure, lc are not known for leaking oil  but look above it as oil maybe running from above and just look like it's coming from the rubber gasket.
Bill210

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies chaps.

I have been told that it is the EGR valve that seems to be the problem. Im starting to think it might be above my ability to sort it.

I might have to bite the bullet and take it to the garage!

Thanks for all the replies!

Bill
Juddian

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 20:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill i can't help you with the oil leak, but something you mentioned in the OP has me a bit worried for you.
That is the oil light coming on when cold, presumably you mean the oil pressure warning light and the engine running, this light going out when the engine warm?, correct?
If anything that should be the other way round, the oil pressure light might flicker on a worn engine when its extremely hot (though never seen such a thing on any of my cruisers) but should never been seen with a cold engine, i'm a bit concerned that the oil flow is being restricted.

First thing i'd be doing if it were me is dropping the engine oil, allow to drain for at least a couple of hours and having a good poke nose at the oil strainer just above the drain hole (an endoscope linked to a smart phone or laptop is ideal for this and you have no risk of an eyeful of filthy oil), checking in case it's clogged with carbon, which itself could be exacerbated by not changing the oil regularly as well as the prime cause a leaky injector seat.

Everyone has their own views on oil servicing, as for me i buy good brand 5W40 fully synthetic in 20/25 litre packs when i see a decent offer and bought a whole batch of Wix oil filters when i saw them at a stock clearout price, and i change the oil twice a year on mine.
Bill210

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Juddian,

Thanks for the advice! Ill make sure I have a look when i change the oil. I have only been changing the oil every service (12 months) but I only do 4-5000 miles a year.

Regards

Bill
Roger Fairclough

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 20:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does this model have a low oil LEVEL warning light?

Roger
Juddian

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it does have a low oil level warning light, from memory its amber where the oil pressure light is red, and the level light has a wavy line under the picture of the oil can.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: