4x4 Mart magazine discount

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Vibration in transmission

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 100 Series / Amazon Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LandyLen

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 23:02    Post subject: Vibration in transmission Reply with quote

Hello All. I’ve owned our Cruiser for 17 years and 203,000 miles and only just found this forum. Why? Well, finally something has gone wrong. We’ve had an alternator and power steering pump last year otherwise regular service.

Anyway, help please. We have a vibration that appears to be coming from lower forward transmission area. Initial inspection revieled wear in the drive shaft flange and it was probably about to strip the splines. At this point there was a fine vibration under gentle load. I’ve fitted a new flange and that vibration has gone and I can drive normally around local roads. However, now when on dual carriageways between 50 and 70 mph there is a real rumble going on under load and it’s quite noisy.

Any ideas?  Many thanks
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 23:02    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

BobMurphy
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 0:00    Post subject: Re: Vibration in transmission Reply with quote

Len,

Which motor do you have and is it an Auto or a manual.

By 'flange' I assume you mean the 'driven member' that bolts to the outside face of the front wheel hub.

When fitting this did you check that the inner end of the drive shaft was properly located in the tulip housing at the diff ? I can't think how it could be wrong unless you've lost one of the tripod bearings off the inner end but it seems odd that the rumble started when the drive shaft was disturbed.

Other things to check are the front wheel bearings - are they still adjusted properly or have the lock washers moved.

I'm not fond of co-incidences but at that mileage I suppose the bearings in the Transfer box may be suspect.

Check all the propshaft UJs for play as well - and the companion flange bolts for tightness.

Difficult to diagnose rumbles over the Internet so please let us know how you get on.

Cheers.

Bob.
LandyLen

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 19:37    Post subject: Transmission Reply with quote

Hello Bob

Thank you for your prompt reply. I’ve no idea if I’m replying correctly as I’m on iPhone and difficult to see forum systems.

I forgot to we have a 2001 Amazon VX 4.2TD Auto.

I’m a diy maintenance mechanic rather than technical one. I’ve just had MOT and it needs new callipers otherwise all ok. However when I went for a drive the problem became apparent. My son and daughter had been using the car locally and not picked up on it.

I took it back to garage and on the ramp the mechanic took off the cap and we could see the free movement in the splines between shaft and flange. I did have this in near side a few years ago. It is the end fitting you describe. I fear that we have more than one issue here. There has always been a lot of free play in the drive. If you lift off the throttle at the point of upward shift it goes into next gear with quite a bang. It always has.

It’s as if in replacing flange,I tightened bearings at the same time, the finer vibration at lower speeds went but the more booming noise got worse. It could well be the inner end of drive shaft or the box. I’m sorry I’m not being much help !!there didn’t appear to be much play in what I call CV joints or actual prop shaft but I will discuss your thought with mechanic. Many thanks
BobMurphy
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 23:43    Post subject: Re: Transmission Reply with quote

Len,

It sounds as though you changed the 'driven member' without touching the wheel bearings or anything else (the hubs run on stub axles independent of the drive).

It might be worth checking the wheel bearings which are conventional taper-roller bearings with a pair of locknuts.

In behind the hub you have a CV joint and on the inner end of the drive shaft is a sliding collar with six large balls that run in grooves in the 'tulip' housing that forms the output shaft from the front diff. All these parts can wear.

Stripping this lot out and checking for wear can be a bit of a pain (I have to do mine soon, I have the same model and year as you) but the CV and tulip bearings need greasing routinely and if they haven't been done it won't harm to give them some TLC. Use the correct type of CV grease though  Wink .

As for the rest . . . check the propshaft UJs and flanges and the rotational play at the Transfer box and axle diffs. There are a lot of moving shafts and small amounts of play all add up to give 'shunting' when going on and off the power.

I wouldn't rule out the rear wheel bearings either, it can be very difficult yo pin down rumbles.

Exhaust touching somewhere can also produce strange noises - usually different under power or on the over-run as the motor torque loading changes.

Let us know what you find.

Good luck.

Bob.
LandyLen

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:00    Post subject: Transmission Reply with quote

Hi Bob

Thanks again. There was play noted in the same bearing (offside) which I did adjust whilst I had the nuts accessable. I have relied on garage servicing so not sure that the CV etc have ever been greased in 200k so I will get on top of this and let you know. It has had a combination of family and business use towing heavy trailers  

My family love this machine and won’t let me sell it as they want to take their children to school in it themselves, it still has rear screens, dvd PlayStation etc which kept them quiet driving through France. They’re now 22 and 24 and no grandchildren on the horizon so some tlc is due!!
Many Thanks
Leonard
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 100 Series / Amazon Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: