All Wheel Drive Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

vehicle replacement

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wolfy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:41    Post subject: vehicle replacement Reply with quote

ok here goes....current drive 2001 colorado 90 series 175k on clock

seen a 2007 Toyota Land Cruiser 3.0 D-4D LC5 5dr only 65k on clock £15.5k

so...good deal ? bad deal ? any comments would be appreciated...

cheers
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:41    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Juddian

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

You won't know how good it is until you get underneath and inspect it...the same inner sill sections get a heavy weather battering on the 120, just the same as Collie, check the rear chassis members closely, the OE sump guard is a poor effort and is prone to rotting through on the curves.

For price comparison i paid £10.5k for a 2005 LC5 with 90k miles on it, FSH, new batteries, new tyres (nothing special but new) etc, in Nov 2016, so the same age as the one you are considering at the time of purchase, but thankfully the pre 06 tax banding...well until they shift the goal posts again.

The big downside to the one you are looking at is £550 road tax.

It sounds a tad expensive to me especially given the high VED**, but then i thought i paid too much for mine at the time, what sold me was the condition of mine when compared to the others i looked at, which looked lovely up top but a different story underneath, one ''pristine'' 100 series i drove 150 miles to look at i didn't even open the doors on, got down on the ground at the back and shoved me hand straight through a body box section, back in the 90 on my home 5 minutes later.
I hadn't intended to change my 90 at the time, but this one popping up seemed too good to miss, so far i have not been disappointed.

As far as LC5's go, people seem to want to avoid the rear air suspension and adjustable dampers, so far mine hasn't given a moments trouble, as for the rear airbags they look easier to change than a rear spring, if a damper goes, well i'll just have to stump up the extra for the proper shocks, the wet grip and overall handling of the LC5 is worth preserving for as long as possible in my humble.

** we bought a 2008 Forester 2.5 XT last year for wifey, yes that too is in £550 VED band which we always said we would avoid, however we managed to get this car for about £2000 under value, it had only done 27,000 miles, so that's around 10 years worth of the differences between pre 06 and after 06 VED costs, if that makes any sense, probably man maths  Laughing
I just think those high band vehicles registered after the VED change date, ie March 2006, should be maybe a little more carefully priced and bought, cos i have no doubt they will be difficult to shift on in a few years.

One other thought, if you're prepared to pay that sort of money for one, you might consider a high grade grey import Prado, which if it's a new import from Japan won't have seen any salt in its life, and unless i'm very much mistaken won't have that high VED banding either, an hour or two on Tradecarview can be interesting to give you some ideas, many traders take pics of the undersides of their cars for sale, rust is non existant.

Had i not spotted the 120 i did, a Prado or possibly another 70 series, either or, grey import was on my radar too.

Sorry about the waffle, just some thoughts for you.
wolfy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for that......im just going to have a look at it tomorrow...it too comes with fsh etc and as i say only 60k on the clock...so in my limited viewpoint not had much hard work at the moment....must admit i dont like the hi tx bracket but...as ive had my last colly for 14 yrs !!!!! i tend not to move on my cars quickly lol.....just wondering if this new truck is worth the extra money as its nicely low milage ....

ive been lucky ..well VERY lucky with the colly and in all the 14 yrs owner ship shes cost me a clutch and a steering rack...(plus the other usual consumables)  is the lc5 more complicated/harder to work / more expensive to service/reapir etc ?
Juddian

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 13:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's not a world of difference between the two, though the 120 will handle a lot nicer you'll find.

Maintenance wise, the only big difference is the autobox will be the 5 speed, it no longer has a dipstick, supposed to be sealed for life or some other cobblers, advice to which i gave a good ignoring, there's plenty on the 120 forum about how to change the oil, some of it by me.
Brakes are fantastic, but they now have the electric pressure pump instead of vacuum servo, similar to 100 series, if it failed and you went to Toyota it would cost an arm and a leg, but it's repairable by a few well chosen electronics shops dotted about.
I now run Brembo brake friction materials on all of our cars, give a similar soft progressive feel to how Ferodo pads from years ago did before they vanished from the scene.

Other than that, the big improvement is they sorted out the front lower ball joints from the 90 series, so no danger of the ball joints ripping out, and they enclosed the whole of the parking brake cabling.

LC5 doesn't have rear diff locker, it has centre diff lock still, off road stuff is down to the electronics, it also has hill descent control for what its worth, still has a manual low range lever.

Overall the LC5 is a lovely drive, well up to car standards, it's also surprisingly rapid.

Not saying mine is perfect, but when you look at the last MOT test of the one you are going to see, the emissions test on mine came back at 0.72 last time (supermarket fuel plus Millers additive)...limit is 3.0 on pre 2008 turbo Diesels....might be an interesting check to make whilst you peruse the paperwork.

Hope it proves to be as good as you want.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: