NFU Mutual - click to link

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

japanese 80 series diff lock axles?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 80 Series Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jowitt84

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 20:46    Post subject: japanese 80 series diff lock axles? Reply with quote

Hi there TLOC-UK.
I was looking at buying a japanese import 80 series cruiser as my first toyota truck. These seem to be better on price and have less rust (again i am a toyota novice).
Now i have found they dont always or never come with the axle diff locks, i would like these for off road reasons. And have heard that you can get locking axles on a uk spec truck (which i can purchase from a breaker).
So the question i have is, can i strap a set of diff lock axles straight on a non diff lock truck?

Is the wiring handy on the body and will i just require a basic bit of wire and a few relays into a standard wiring panel under the dash, or will i have to get my doc brown back to the future wiring skills out and make a full loom?

Are all the control arms/linkages the same, or are they different shapes sizes or have different bushes?

Are the prop shaft flanges the same, if not can i take the yoke from the original diff and fit them to the locking diff pinion?

If you can help with any of these questions, i would be most grateful.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 20:46    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Towpack

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Short answer, no. It can be done but requires some machining/fabrication work on the axle casings as they are different. Probably cheaper and easier to fit some complete axles from a UK spec vehicle with lockers...OEM Lockers Retrofitting

1998 HDJ80 Amazon VX 4.2TD
2004 Yamaha R1 (Sold)
2011 Ducati 1198SP (Sold)
2012 kawasaki ZZr1400
2002 Honda XR650R (BRP)- STOLEN GRRRRR!!!
2010 Husaberg FE570....YIPPEEEEE!!!!
2003 GT XCR3000
1995 Border Collie-Passed away 23-5-2011
Jowitt84

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 21:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

good info,
good to hear the wiring is all about there. i will get on the search for the axles and other parts.
i have the truck got it for 3k, thought that was a reasonable price. although it has done over 200kmiles. engine was rebuilt 2000miles ago after a head gasket failure.
any reason other than lack of use, that the low range stick is as stiff as hell?
any suggestions on where to get a good axle dislocation type lift kit from. seems to be you can get them for a landrover from everywhere maybe even the argos catalog, but not so popular for toyota lc.
24carrot

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 21:44    Post subject: Hi Phil Reply with quote

Towpack wrote:
Short answer, no. It can be done but requires some machining/fabrication work on the axle casings as they are different. Probably cheaper and easier to fit some complete axles from a UK spec vehicle with lockers...OEM Lockers Retrofitting

Hi I know this is an old post but was hoping you can help me I have a 1992 hdj81 12v  inpot with just center locker .I have just got a pair of axles with lockers on can you tell me is the wiring all reedy  in my car if so what else do in need to make them work
Thanks
Sarmajor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:25    Post subject: Diff Lock Wiring Reply with quote

As far as I know most of the wiring is in place.  You will need to get a diff lock ECU module though as that will not be fitted to the car.
Probably will also need to fit the lamps into the dash to get indication of locking and locked.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 80 Series Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: