4x4 Mart magazine discount

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Help need urgently - fuel pump or fuel line problem?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Slarty

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 18:37    Post subject: Help need urgently - fuel pump or fuel line problem? Reply with quote

Can any one help - broken down in Bordeaux, 6 hours away from home

2002 kdj95 3.0 d4d

Car started then died, will only start again if I prime the fuel filter but then cuts out after 15 seconds or so

Does any one know how to diagnose if it’s the fuel pump or am I getting air into the fuel lines?

Thanks in advance
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 18:37    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

DaveWall

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 20:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suspect hole in fuel line... between primer and tank.... probably on the fuel pickup pipes, not an easy road side fix...

15secs only is odd though as usually if you have filled the filter and can get the engine started the engine pump will draw a certain amount of diesel through still...

When it cuts out, how long does it take to re-prime the fuel, have you drained the filter with the little water drain clipped to the filter housing?

When did you last fill up, was the fuel OK
Slarty

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 22:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thoughts were hole in the fuel line as well. Only takes 5 or 6 pumps to re-prime.

We arrived on Friday to do a job, wouldn’t start at 8pm, used public transport to get around and to get the job done, I’ve got Monday morning to either fix it or get her shipped back on a low loader

Got a fairly good tool kit with us, fingers crossed I can find the leak

Thanks for the help
DaveWall

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Double check filter seal (top and bottom, make sure the drain tap is locked off) before you start getting involved - 5 or 6 pumps doesn't sound enough to be re priming the entire system though???  Are they really good full pumps (you can normally kinda hear/feel is pump the diesel)

Do you have access to a new filter?

I would also think if you have had a sudden failure like this, you should also have a notable diesel patch around the hole...  

I might be tempted to take the pipes off at the filter housing take the fuel cap off and blow back down them and make sure they are clear, can someone watch/listen down by the tank while you do this?

There are pictures on here of the common problem with the fuel pickup lines, they corrode where they extend out the top of the diesel tank towards the front edge to allow the pickup/return pipes to attach..  if you have a length of pipe and a container you could remove the fuel pipe here and pipe it into a container of diesel, re-prime and try running of a separate supply to rule these out....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: