NFU Mutual - click to link

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Fuel consumption

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 100 Series / Amazon Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
frank.af

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 19:27    Post subject: Fuel consumption Reply with quote

Guys and gals,

My old land cruiser 2006 GXR, FZJ100L, 1FZFE 4500CC EFI, 256000 kms, burns quite a lot of fuel.
Let's say around 30 l/100km.
Yes, I have first check my tyre pressure, thanks for your thoughts! Wink
No, there is no fuel leak!

What would you check step by step?

Thanks for your help!
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 19:27    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Juddian

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 17:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds like about 9.5 mpg which is definately heavy consumption.
First question is how fast do you drive and are your journeys over some distance or lots of stop start which absolutely drinks fuel.

With the petrol engine you won't get much better than a 50% improvement on that unless you drive like a saint, but changing how you drive, keeping the vehicle to 100km/hr, avoiding hard acceleration and letting the vehicle coast up to junctions instead of staying under power right up to the last moment then braking can make huge differences to fuel consumption.

Even back when i owned my 3 litre Diesel 70 series, the best i ever saw was 25mpg, but driven hard and especially when towing  a double horse box i've seen that down to 16mpg.

Does the car need servicing, has it seen a new air filter recently, new plugs (assume its petrol), are the brakes binding, are the wheel alignments correct, are the tyres serious off road pattern because there's 2mpg loss for a kick off with heavy treaded tyres.
frank.af

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 19:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your nice reply.
I am not a crazy driver, driving between 60 to 100 km/h max (speed limit where I live, State of Qatar).
I will change the plugs and and the plug cables. Air filter is new. Tyres are standard ones.
I plan to change the fuel filter.
Funny, I went to a local garage here today, and the mechanic told me my fuel consumption is normal here, first because of its age (2006), second he explained me the engines in the Gulf region don't have the same standard as the American or European one, so their settings are different. He said the best we can do would be to change all the spark plugs, cables, injectors, seals... But to his opinion, as he can see any fumes coming out of the engine, my injectors are just doing fine, and changing all of this will cost a bit of money and won't improve much. Last, probably one of the previous owner could have rub inside the engine (does thay make sense?) to increase the size of the piston... Makes it more powerful but also increases the consumption...
frank.af

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 20:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

"he can not see any fumes"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 100 Series / Amazon Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: