All Wheel Drive Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Rear Light Cluster in Bumper

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
colineddy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:13    Post subject: Rear Light Cluster in Bumper Reply with quote

My LWB 90 rear light has stopped working properly.

I took a look and it's literally falling apart from rust. Not the best design from toyota that I don't think.

Anyway I can get a new light no problem from Milners.

The problem is that there is a metal reinforcing bracket that goes behind it in the bumper which is also rust as hell and I know will fall to bits when I take the old one off.

I can't find where to but this bracket (apart from main dealer)

I've got some galvanized rips of steel I could bodge up one for each side of the light but the actual part would be a lot easier.

Also is the bracket providing the earth to chassis ?

Any ideas ?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:13    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Col 7

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morning
Toyota originals have an earth to a tag on outside lamp case - this rots and you get all sorts of odd lighting effects!

Milner pattern parts do not have this earth facility, work just fine.  Use suitable dexion strip to strengthen rear of bumper if
like mine, most of the orig. metal frame rotted out. Protect new bulb holder rear if you can - chain spray keeps water off for a few months.

Bumper is 'plastic' and have never found an old earth strap anywhere on it Cool

Good luck

Col
locodriver65

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 19:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
These are available from milner.

I bought both left and right sides a couple of months ago..

Regards

Paul
locodriver65

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 19:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also made an alumimium box to go over the light fitting  inside the bumper to keep the water and mud out.. no problem since..

Paul
colineddy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 15:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I got a replacement from e bay - big mistake - it didn't work. Lesson learned.

I got the Milner one - it worked fine.

I got some strips of steel and made a reinforced bracket to go on the back - it worked OK but didn't pull the light into the bumper quite properly so there is a small gap around the black trim.

No disaster but getting the real bracket from the dealer would have been best. I won't bother but if I have to do the other side I might look into it.

Cheers,
MisterCruiser

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 15:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could do with new rear bracket surrounds now too. Did the Millner ones not fit properly for you, or was that just because you made up an additional box thing yourself?
colineddy

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 8:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I never bought the Milner ones in the end.

I had some galvanised steel straps - the kind you use to strap down a roof plate onto the block wall of your hiouse. I got one of them in the vice and used the grinder to fashion two brackets, one for each end of the light,

Just a strap of metal maybe 2 inches high, 3/4 inch wide with a hole in ir for the bolt. I bent them gently to suit the inside curve of the bumper.

They are only as something for the bolts to pull against really. I got them in while leaving the existing rusty surrounds in there - mostly because the whole thing was such a mess, and SOOOOOO difficult to access that I thought I would do even more damage getting them out.

There are downsides - the brackets I made are not 100% suitable - no surprise. The black 'welt' of the light fitting does not fit quite snug with the grey plastic of the bumper.

All in all a really REALLY bad bit of design by Toyota - almost like they got to the end of the development and thought ooops we forgot the lights on the back let's slap them in there. The access is VERY difficult to get the units out if the bolts are heavily corroded / seized - which they are. You pretty much have no choice but to either drop off the whole back bumper to get to the bolts in the inside or try and take the head off from the front. This second way is a risk because the delicate bumper plastic gets damaged and the head of the bolt is encased deep inside the black welt on the light fitting. A grinder is out here In the end I tried the dremmel, mole grips, junior hack saw and 2 hours of swearing. Of course the bolt head is encased in the black plastic so not corroded and is hard to take off.

Miserable.

Now the new ones are in the bolts are literally coated in grease and chain oil which I top up every 3 months.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: