2Gether FS : 01945 585322

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

steering

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> General Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vespec

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 18:02    Post subject: steering Reply with quote

My cruiser has developed a strange problem, power steering stiffens up now and again i have done a full fluid flush but no better...anyone any ideas....there are no leaks on the power steering system....
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 18:02    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

MisterCruiser

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 0:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much fluid did it hold to do a complete flush?

Your problem could be with the pump or the rack itself. If you pull off the steering boots you can see the rack bar and see if it looks rusty or such. Possibly a pump problem? If it just the odd time maybe stick with it until it gets worse and easier to pinpoint.
TONYCY11

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:56    Post subject: Re: steering Reply with quote

vespec wrote:
My cruiser has developed a strange problem, power steering stiffens up now and again i have done a full fluid flush but no better...anyone any ideas....there are no le

aks on the power steering system....
It sounds like it could be the uni joint on the steering column that joins the steering rack could be rusted up and dyed out and sizing up at times .
Wildmutt

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 22:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would check your lower ball joints as well. One of the symptoms of these wearing is stiff or heavy steering just before they part company. Better to be safe than sorry.

Keeping everyone happy is impossible. Pissing them off is a piece of cake......I like cake.
TONYCY11

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildmutt wrote:
I would check your lower ball joints as well. One of the symptoms of these wearing is stiff or heavy steering just before they part company. Better to be safe than sorry.

If it is a LC 120 the ball joints have been designed that if the ball joint fails it will not part company from the rest of the car unlike the LC 90/95 , but if the uni joint of the steering column that connects to the steering rack on the LC120 drys out it can cause the systems that you have reported .
vespec

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 17:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the input, its a LC 100 by the way..i am thinking the joint to the the rack seems plausable with how the steering is reacting, can i get a good look at it once i have removed the large sum plate....
vespec

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 18:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

and it took around one and a half litres, kept topping up untill new fluid was coming thru return pipe.
TONYCY11

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 18:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

vespec wrote:
Thanks for all the input, its a LC 100 by the way..i am thinking the joint to the the rack seems plausable with how the steering is reacting, can i get a good look at it once i have removed the large sum plate....

The 120 and 100 ball joints and steering design are very very similar and any faults that might happen give the same symptoms in both cars .
vespec

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 18:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, well for what they cost and never been replaced since i have owned it in 7 yrs i will replace both ball joints.
TONYCY11

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 18:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

vespec wrote:
Ok, well for what they cost and never been replaced since i have owned it in 7 yrs i will replace both ball joints.

you can check ball joints while they are still fitted to the car  to see if they are faulty with out unnecessary changing them .
TONYCY11

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

vespec wrote:

You can on a LC120 so I am pretty sure you can on a LC100 .
vespec

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 18:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

tonycy11 was right, it was the joint that joins the column to the rack, good squirt of wd then while later good dose of silicone spray...problem solved, many thanks....
did check the track rods, there fine.
TONYCY11

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 19:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

vespec wrote:
tonycy11 was right, it was the joint that joins the column to the rack, good squirt of wd then while later good dose of silicone spray...problem solved, many thanks....

Vespec WD and silicone spray is just a temp fix as it will dry out , you will need to get a good quality synthetic grease spray or other long lasting good clinging grease spray and give it a good soaking  so that it works into the uni joints and surrounding part , made need to be done a couple of times over a month or so to make sure it lubes the joints .
glad to be of help .
TONYCY11

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 19:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

TONYCY11 wrote:
vespec wrote:

Vespec WD and silicone spray is just a temp fix as it will dry out , you will need to get a good quality synthetic grease spray or other long lasting good clinging grease spray and give it a good soaking  so that it works into the uni joints and surrounding part , made need to be done a couple of times over a month or so to make sure it lubes the joints .
glad to be of help .

it would have been a good idea if toyota had a fitted grease nipple for the uni joint of the steering column just like the prop shaft uni joints .
vespec

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 19:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers....
Does anyone use a company from the UAE for parts as i need to replace the near side rear hydrolic suspesion pipe, i replaced the off side 2 years ago but carnt find the company i used, was over 300 pounds cheaper that over here in uk
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> General Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: