Atlas Overland Adventure Tours

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Rear diff actuator

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
allanwinks

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 22:35    Post subject: Rear diff actuator Reply with quote

I am having problems with my rear diff actuator,the light flashes but the unit does not engage. I found a very informative post on this forum but unfortunately none of the diagrams were available. My workshop manual does not cover this item. Could anyone help me with diagrams/ instructions on removing this device please.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 22:35    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

petrolhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 13:16    Post subject: Re: Rear diff actuator Reply with quote

allanwinks wrote:
I am having problems with my rear diff actuator,the light flashes but the unit does not engage. I found a very informative post on this forum but unfortunately none of the diagrams were available. My workshop manual does not cover this item. Could anyone help me with diagrams/ instructions on removing this device please.

This sounds like the actuator has failed (as did mine last year). The actuator is bolted to the rear axle housing on the left hand side of the diff. From memory 3 bolts hold it to the axle (you don't need to unbolt the metal actuator guard) there is also an electrical connector you can unplug. It is probably corroded, mine had stuck to the axle a gentle tap with the hammer and the whole thing disintegrated int to corded metal parts !

Roughtrax have pictures to show you what it looks like fitted to your vehicle, Link below
https://www.roughtrax4x4.com/toyota-4x4-parts/axle-rear/genuine-toyota-rear-differential-lock-actuator-1.htm

Milners also sell them

Easy to fit just very expensivel

2000 KZJ95 1KZ-TE LWB
Ironman Shocks and Springs
ASFIR Underbody Skid plates
diggerdave

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 14:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

They can be a complete son of a preacherman to remove. Expect lots of swearing but with a bit of care it can be done. Typically the housing and the motor just disintegrate with a bit of tapping, as above. Do NOT just bash willy-nilly with a hammer at what's left if it's stuck (which it probably will be). There is a small metal circlip at the end of the part that protrudes into the diff, which holds in place a small gear. You really don't want them to drop off into the diff housing if you can help it. Lots of posts about this here and elsewhere on the internet.

Don't bother with a second-hand actuator from a Colorado. However the same actuator is used on the front diff of 80-series landcruisers and tends to survive better, although it's still a gamble (and it will require a bit of fettling to fit as the connectors are difefrent and holes need to be drilled and tapped for the guard)
diggerdave

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 14:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Son of a preacherman? Really? No one in the entire history of the world has ever said 'a complete son of a preacherman'. The (apparently so offensive it has to be censored) word I used began with 'b' and ended in 'astard'.  Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: