Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

LC5 Air Suspension Damper Settings

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RobS

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 13:55    Post subject: LC5 Air Suspension Damper Settings Reply with quote

Hi - I have a 2006 LC5. I have suspected for some time that changing the damper settings (comfort/sport etc) on the air suspension wasn't making any difference to the ride. I hooked up Techstream and it shows they are all set to Step 8 (there is a range between Step 1 and a maximum of Step 16) - and they don't change on Techstream active data when I move the switch. But if I go to the active test menu on Techstream I can adjust them up and down (they revert back to 8 step after the test).

The height adjustment works fine both using the switch and the active test on Techstream.

So it seems maybe the damper adjustment mechanism is working but the switch is not? Any ideas ?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 13:55    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

TONYCY11

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 17:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hight adjustment works by air adjustment in the airbags with the hidden air compressor under rear passenger side pumping in more air to raise the rear or releasing air in the airbox to lower the air pressure in the air bags to lower the car which has nothing to do with the shockabsorbers  . The tems shocks stiffen the shocks in sport setting or soften the ride in the first setting named confort the number 2 setting is auto mode . Look at the shocks on all 4 corners to see if there is oil mist on the shocks to see if they are leaking if so the shocks are done . And if you still have the original shocks and they have done more than 100k miles over 10 years or mire they will not be as good as when they were new .
Juddian

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 17:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tony.

If one wanted to replace the TEMS shocks, do normal aftermarket ( or indeed Toyota parts dept standard) dampers such as one would buy for a LC4 be a straight replacement, ie no mods necessary apart from sealing off the electrical connector no longer in use?

RobS, i can tell the difference in the settings on mine but we're not talking a massive chasm, 'sport' setting must have been added as an in joke at Mr T's design studio, there's nothing at all sporty about a LC, mind you its surprising on the right tyres just how quickly you can hurl one of these about.
TONYCY11

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 19:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Juddian yes any shocks that fit the 120s will work ok with or without the air bags without any mods needing to being done apart from as you said sealing off the connectors for the tems shocks . And as you said there is not much difference on the shock settings but you can tell the difference between comfort and sport but not by as much as you would ave thought there would be . I leave my setting in sport all the time so that the shocks last longer and less stress on the rear airbags and front springs and control arm and link bushes due to the slightly stiffer shock setting allowing less movement on them so in theory they should last longer as well .
Juddian

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 20:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tony, put our minds at rest there.
Things OK at the momet, just confirming what will or won't be needed if and when.

Just replaced the rear springs and shocks on wifeys Forester, originals are self levellers @ £stupid from Subaru only, one SL unit failed mot,  replaced with uprated springs and suitable standard shocks, all KYB Japan made parts which come well recommended on the Subaru forum, circa £240 the lot.
Hope the 120 is as easy when the time comes, dare say i'll need a beefier and longer set of spring compressors though.

So wouldn't surprise me if one of these MOTs one or more of the shockers fail the 120, for anyone interested KYB appear to make suitable 120 series shockers @ £sensible.
TONYCY11

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 21:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Juddian I bought a full front and rear pedders kit specially designed to replace the tems and air bags for when the airbags or tems shocks are done complete with instructions on how to disable the electronics  from the system so that no warning lights light up on the dash for the airbags no longer working .the front shocks and springs are already assembled  the full pedders kit with standard hight was £715  back in 2016 the same kit now is around a £100 more and a bit more than that if you want the 45mm lift version . Kyb shocks are good shocks if the  pedders shocks  fail I will deffo replace them with kyb .
TONYCY11

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 21:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to say I got the kit from roughtracks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: