2Gether FS : 01945 585322

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

elp with Diesel Tuning Box

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 100 Series / Amazon Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrisk942

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 15:03    Post subject: elp with Diesel Tuning Box Reply with quote

Hi
Getting closer to installing the "chippy thing"
Does anyone know the best place to "tap" into the red/yellow cable in the engine bay somewhere.  (apparently its the potentiometer of the accelerator cable) that I need to connect to.

I opened up the wiring loom at the bulkhead but couldnt find any red/yelly wires there

Just thought if anyone knows where it will save me ripping up the loom in the wrong place.

Thanks
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 15:03    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

bushburywolf
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 14:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

there's a red and yellow wire on the air cleaning warning sensor  according to the instrument cluster diagram

i dunno if this will help you .. best get an auto electrician
bushburywolf
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 14:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

also one  yellow and red on the fuel sender.. there are two senders one is a sub sender the other one is the one you possibly want ..on the instrument cluster according to my (aussie) haynes manual

i hope this will help too  i feel this is the one your looking for
Chrisk942

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bushburywolf, I think I've located the wire, its apparently somewhere in the footwell above the accel cable, needs some trim taking out or me hanging underneath with a headlight torch and tapping into it..

Just havent got round to fitting the bl@@dy thing yet, I know "Hog" was eager for me to fit it and report back to him, so more apologies there.
Chrisk942

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:50    Post subject: Well its finally fitted Reply with quote

Hi all, will be able to report back soon with findings, but haven't really had a chance to test it out properly.  Just a brief run to take the kids to school this am, seems a bit more responsive and more "poke" at around 50ish.
I'll have a blast around over the weekend and report back next week

But......what an absolute b@@tard to "tap" into the wire above the accelerator pedal.
Chrisk942

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:42    Post subject: Chippy thing Reply with quote

Well I have had a chance to test it out now that its fitted if anyone is interested.
There seems to be a lot more power available for overtaking right across the rev range.  Acceleration seems a lot better, I notice that there must have been a flat spot at around 50mph, where it was probably in between gears, thats gone and its acceleration all the way.

Strange thing is that I now seem not to be using the accelerator so much and on a trip down to southampton over the weekend and even with all the traffic and *beep* road, my fuel consumption has averaged out at around 26/27mpg, thats even with quite a bit of overtaking.

So I'm pretty pleased with it all round
luckyrobp

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive just put a box on my late 02 amazon.

It is a steinbaur, is that what you have. I havent found a lot of difference but as you said it does get rid of that flat spot at about 50mph, just at overtaking speed.

How do you get such a good MPG as I only get between 17.5 - 19.5 (once got 21) although I do have a very heavy right foot.
Chrisk942

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 17:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same one..... Steinbaur Pbox

How did you manage with connected it to the wire above the throttle pedal ?  I found that to be a real son of a preacherman !

I've just taken the mpg from the computer but I was wondering whether it was correct or not !

I find that if I have the "trip info" screen up I am more conscious of MPG end up driving more economically.  Still give it a bit of welly when I can though.  The higher MPG was on a longish run, more often I just drop the kids off and then go to work a round trip of around 10miles stop / start traffic and then I get 22/23 mpg.

I have a trip planned over your way soon so that will be a better test of MPG.  I was also thinking of putting a switch inside the car, so that it would be easier to compare the performance with / without the tuning box
luckyrobp

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found it no problem at all to fit, I just went to the local autotech. and greased his palm with £30.  I fitted the DTUK boxes on my rexton and ducato vans as they are plug in, but I didnt fancy digging into the electrics.

have you left it on auto or changed the pin settings for a fixed increase ie. +20% or +30%

what year is your amazon as mine doesnt have the trip info. I emailed toyota about this and this is the reply:-

I have now discussed your email with our Technical Department.  Unfortunately, it is not possible for your vehicle to be upgraded or reprogrammed to change the specification to a 2004 model.  

Our Technical Department have advised me this is because the software in the engine ECU in your vehicle is not compatible with the system installed in the newer models and it is not possible to reprogramme the ECU software.  

I am sorry for any disappointment this may cause.

Yours sincerely

Samantha Betts
Customer Relations Executive

Im still not convinced this is correct as the software wont be changed that much and if its just a computer programme why cant it be added.

Rob P
Chrisk942

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

"greased his palm with £30"   Very Happy .  
I previously fitted one to an ML I had (by the way this was the worst car ever....) and that was easy, this one had 3 more connections, not really complicated just ease of getting to the wires really and running the wires neatly.  Now I've done it once, I reckon it would take me a couple of hours max the next time

Left mine on auto and havent messed around with the dip switches

Mine is an 04, I reckon they could offer this as an upgrade but just can't be *beep* to ! I notice that in the US there are loads of companies doing upgrades.  Shame you cant use the phonebook / enter new dest on satnav over 5mph.  I e-mailed a co in the US about a product called "lockpick" but they tell me it wont work over here
luckyrobp

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I've had the power box on a couple of months I've really started to like this car. It seems to have got better in the power department.  Laughing
Brilliant at setting off and over taking. still get lousy fuel consumption  Sad but thats more my right foot been full of lead.
Just had an MOT and I didnt know if the box would affect the gas analyser readings, Dont know what its like in standard but he strugged to get readings as it was so clean!!!

It took a lot of finding and fitting but was well worth it. Would recommend.

Rob P
RADIOTWO

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 15:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

luckyrobp wrote:
Now I've had the power box on a couple of months I've really started to like this car. It seems to have got better in the power department.  Laughing
Brilliant at setting off and over taking. still get lousy fuel consumption  Sad but thats more my right foot been full of lead.
Just had an MOT and I didnt know if the box would affect the gas analyser readings, Dont know what its like in standard but he strugged to get readings as it was so clean!!!

It took a lot of finding and fitting but was well worth it. Would recommend.

Rob P

Hi Rob

I have been following the posts, and very interested in the results, would you be willing to drop me a PM and tell me the price and where you got it from?

Thanks Steve
luckyrobp

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 16:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi steve

Cant remember how much exactly but it was over £400
I got it from Cheshire Toyota 01636  814 960
I dont know if they will fit it as my local toyota dealer wouldn't?
It probably isnt a big job but i dont like vehicle electrics, so I got a local vehicle electrician to do it.

Hope this helps

Rob P
RADIOTWO

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

luckyrobp wrote:
Hi steve

Cant remember how much exactly but it was over £400
I got it from Cheshire Toyota 01636  814 960
I dont know if they will fit it as my local toyota dealer wouldn't?
It probably isnt a big job but i dont like vehicle electrics, so I got a local vehicle electrician to do it.

Hope this helps

Rob P

Thanks for the reply Rob

I did not think it would be that much, as a remap supplied and fitted is only around that amount.

If it was about £50 I might have been interested,

thanks anyway

Steve
luckyrobp

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steve

Don't know anyone that does a remap for this vehicle so the price for other cars is irrelevant. this unit isnt just a normal little cigarettepacket sized box with a circuit board to just up the fuelling of the ECU. it is a huge unit with either +- 10,20,30% or automatic from the throttle. god knows why youred want to reduce the power.

Dont know what you expect for £50!!! a dodgy resistor off e bay perhaps?

Thats the joy of owning a big exspencive car, its like the marketing for the old ford granada used to say: If you ask the fuel consumption, you cant afford the car.

I do actually check my fuel consumption every fill as you can spot problems occuring ealy.

Rob P

ps.  tried to use the shortend word for cigarettepacket - 3 letters starts with an F ends in G and has an A in the middle but when I previewed it, it comes up with fagpacket yet it lets me type in scunthorpe, how bizzar.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 100 Series / Amazon Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: