All Wheel Drive Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Leaking Air-con

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 100 Series / Amazon Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ditch dodger

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 13:56    Post subject: Leaking Air-con Reply with quote

Later model Amazons fitted with 'twin' air con units(separate front and rear units) have a fault that could cost over £ 1000 to rectify. The problem is with the pipes that lead from the front to the rear of the car. These pipes, or more specifically the seals on these pipes are prone to becoming 'porous'..unfortunately the pipes are fitted to the chassis before the body is fitted to the car and replacing the pipies involves lifting the body!! The 2 pipes cost £330 plus vat and fitting by toyota would take an estimated 6-7 hours. This problem has effected cars that are still under warranty(according to my local Toyota service manager) and is a known ongoing issue affecting all late models and is apparently due to poor quality parts used by toyota to cut costs. Having been  smitten by my 1995 Amazon, my confidence in the brand is wavering, I have 2 later spec cars one a 53 plater with the leaking pipes and an 04 plate which is thankfully holding it's charge for now..Toyota are not interested in assisting in any way as the vehicle is just out of warranty and I purchased it outside the dealer network.Buyers beware   Crying or Very sad
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 13:56    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Grimbo
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 20:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kind of confirms my thoughts on updateing my 96 24v, keep looking, keep thinking, but there is nothing wrong with it, I can fix it with the most basic tools if need be, only advantage seems to be a bit better ride, little bit more interior comfort, flasher to look at. Think Toyota peaked with the 80 series, they seem to be doing a mercedes and letting quality slip, BIG mistake ! , you can't live on a reputation for very long. Having said that, the new 100 series replacement will probably be the most awsome 4x4 ever. I'm normaly wrong. Laughing
joinerman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 21:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kinda thinking along with your thoughts grimbo, keep thinking of getting a newer model than my 94, but then read about all the probs like suspension with the newer "better " models, i think i'll keep my good old reliable 94.

Joinerman
ditch dodger

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:07    Post subject: Don't be put off 100 series so easily Reply with quote

It turns out it was the pipes(not the seals) that were perforated, it seems salt/grit gets trapped between the foam insulation and the pipe and vibration causes the pipes to get porous, this can be avoided by wax undersealing..This potential problem exists with later twin system cars only and not earlier pre facelift cars(53) . When i was at my nearest Toyota garage getting the new pipes fitted there was a 70 year old man having new pipes fitted to his 2006 Amazon, he buys a new one every 3 years and hasn't had any problems before. So I wouldn't condem the 100 series quite yet, there are after all not that many clean 80 series left and the engine will need to be replaced eventually..I love my 80 series and I will probably never sell it, however the 100 series, and particularly the 5 speed auto is an  amazing vehicle that is like a magic carpet over bumpy Scottish B-Roads/Verges , it also accellerates considerably faster and can also achieve 30mpg on a long run whilst travelling 10mph faster than an 80series due to its taller top gear and improved aero-dynamix. Flasher to look at? Park an Amazon next to a Range Rover and it is obvious how understated and inconspicuous a vehicle Toyota have created. The Amazon looks almost modest when compared to todays crop of 4x4s. From the pics i've seen of the NEW model Toyota have again managed to create something that looks confidently and elegantly understated and with a V8 commonrail turboD bound to be a beast
ditch dodger

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 19:47    Post subject: Leaking aircon pipes Reply with quote

Turned out that the cost to sort this was £1400, almost every pipe under the car needed replacing. I now have the same problem on an 04 vehicle. Customer relations offered to contribute, but the cost was still going to be £800, so I'm just going with the open window option. Am looking into a way of blanking off the pipes that lead to the rear system.(They feed the aircon for the passengers in the 3rd row seats, never used yet, but once they fail , which they will, the whole system becomes inoperative!) BTW, Toyota have extended the warranty for suspension sensors to 5 years..
Looked under the new V8 and surprise surprise, no exposed aluminium pipes!
gordini911

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 21:47    Post subject: AIR CON Reply with quote

AIR "CON" .Don`t forget its only a bit of pipe and a few connections.If you were a plumber you would repair it with 2no £1 connectors and a bit of cheap 10mm soft copper pipe .I have carried out these repairs for years and had no problems.I dont like being ripped off.
bushburywolf
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

that is what this plumber / caravanner will be doing if mine go on me
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 100 Series / Amazon Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: