Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Inter cooler

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 100 Series / Amazon Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HOG

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:50    Post subject: Inter cooler Reply with quote

Hi got talking to block, who deals with deisel proformance the other day.
reconds u get beter proformance and econamy on cruisers by fitting larger intercooler. Helps it breath cooler air.
Apparently autos like mine have smaller cooler than manuels, due to trans cooler.
Has any one gone down this path, are any thoughts. Not to worried about power just econamy.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:50    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

MattF

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 15:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coolant system cooling and intake cooling are two completely different areas. Auto's do have an inline cooler in the rad for the ATF, but that has nothing to do with intake cooling. Very Happy

An intercooler makes the air entering the engine intake cooler, hence more dense, which in turn gives slightly more power, as you are literally getting more air into the combustion process. And yes, they do give you a bit more oomph if done correctly.
HOG

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 16:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know. the rad on auto and man cruiser are aparently the same.
But the auto has a trans cooler (oil) infront of the main rad. this restricts amount of space to  fit intercooler thats fitted to manual cruiser.
So aparently they fit a smaller intercooler on autos. which works but not as well. (so im told)? this block i was talking to tunes deisels. and recomended larger intercooler. hand made to fit £300.
aparently give better proformance and econamy. Make sence dencer air nor power on fireing stroke. but i have littele experience in this area.

sorry about spelling and grama in rush
mark
MattF

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 19:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't say for certain, but unless the LC rad has a different design than I'm used to, he's talking rubbish. The trans cooler is built in to the rad itself. The physical dimensions of the rad are the same for auto or manual.

The killer on intecoolers is merely the amount of, (or lack of), free space under the bonnet. The rad is irrelevant, as fitting a front mounted intercooler is a lesson in folly to start with. The lag introduced apparently negates most of the benefits.

And as for hand making one, well, if you've money to burn, feel free. I would honestly get an opinion from a different person than the one you've been talking to, if I were you.
joinerman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 19:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ATF cooler is in the bottom of the rad on an auto, it's the condesor for the air con that sits in front of the rad.

Joinerman
Cal

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 20:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

have a chat to the guys at Allisport - they know their stuff and are used loads by land rover guys. More efficient intercooler allows cooler denser air into the engine, which also allows you to increase the fuelling - this is what gives you more power. You wont notice much at all if you put in a new intercooler with adjusting the fuel pump.

I think if you go to Allisport they do the tweak for the fuel pump included in the price.

If you have a look in the 80 series section one of the guys just had one fitted.
HOG

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks keep it coming.
dont understand folloy and lag.
there is a benafit in fitting intercoolers. But if to small with a restrictive bore i could understand. But shorly a larger one with a largerbore will aid air flow and intake temp. Will the pump need adjusting on a 100 series, i belive its a electrical one rather tham a mechanical.(yes i know its driven from the engine,
Different weather and atmaspheric conditions will affrect air entery temp into the engine.
what started me of on this. Is there is a nocicable diference in power when its been cold (winter). and the other night while driving home, about 10 miles. There was a very strong head wind, instead as you would think. The cruiser pured along with what seemed more power and more responcive.
Being the sad son of a preacherman i am. Turnd round drive back to work. all seemed normal as in the past. Turnd round again went back home same road purd along with what seemed less throtal and definatly more responcive.
Only explination more air over intercooler, dencer air, engine manegment increced fuel. Therefore more responcive. What was very noticable was that top gear was reached sooner and with less effort therefor, i think a beter return to the gal.
If you look at the size of the intercooler in comparison to other vehicals it tiny. is it just there as a tocken jesture.
dose anybody now what the optimain air temp entering the engine should be?
thanks again for all your help and thoughts
mark
Cal

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Will the pump need adjusting on a 100 series, i belive its a electrical one

I'm not sure if they do the same thing with cruisers, but I know that Allisport chip landrvoers with electronic fuel management to alter the amount of fuel going in.

You're right about the weather having an effect as well, though it's prob not always noticeable - but in theory we should all get slightly better mpg over winter (once the engine is running at temp).

I haven't got any pics to show you but I put a standard size, uprated intercooler in the discovery I used to have - basically it had many more "fins" (?) than the standard one, so it was much more efficient at cooling the air within the same size intercooler.
HOG

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

WHAT WERE THE RESULTS
Cal

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not very good cos I tried to do the fuel pump tweaks myself and failed!

I def noticed the difference though, but I would get someone else to do it properly if I were to do it again. I think I also had engine problems anyway which didn't help - I sold it on shortly after this after having taken as many goodies off it as I could manage to try and get some of my money back.

Have a look in the tech section of this site http://www.landroverdiscovery.net/ for a bit more info from a friend of mine on his Disco.
AlliSport Andy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 13:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must add that the lag issue is really not an issue if you see what I mean.
We regularly fit two or even three intercoolers into vehicles with no noticeable lag. Basically once the air is compressed at one end of the system, it is as good as instantly compressed at the other.
Also, with intercoolers - the bigger the better, if you work out the ideal maximum size for a giiven engine it is generally best to fit the biggest in the space available. This more often than not a front mounted set up as the top mounts collect heat of the engine.
24Seven

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 13:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello AlliSport Andy

Can you give us a rough idea of cost please? Smile
rrdoctor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cal wrote:
have a chat to the guys at Allisport - they know their stuff and are used loads by land rover guys. More efficient intercooler allows cooler denser air into the engine, which also allows you to increase the fuelling - this is what gives you more power. You wont notice much at all if you put in a new intercooler with adjusting the fuel pump.

I think if you go to Allisport they do the tweak for the fuel pump included in the price.

If you have a look in the 80 series section one of the guys just had one fitted.

i am the guy who has just  had it done,
look at the pictures on the 80 series forum under  4.2 turbo diesel thread

VERY IMPRESSED GET IT DONE YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT!!!!!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 100 Series / Amazon Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: