2Gether FS : 01945 585322

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Taking dash out + can I take out sat nav with no problems?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 100 Series / Amazon Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DrAndy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:52    Post subject: Taking dash out + can I take out sat nav with no problems? Reply with quote

Hi, can anyone point me in the right direction for a guide to taking the dash out of my 1998 Amazon?

Also, I want to remove sat nav (TNS 500) and original stero unit and replace with a double din - any probs with that that you can see?

Thanks for helping a distinct amateur!

Andy
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:52    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

BobMurphy
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:27    Post subject: Re: Taking dash out + can I take out sat nav with no problem Reply with quote

DrAndy wrote:
Hi, can anyone point me in the right direction for a guide to taking the dash out of my 1998 Amazon? Andy

Do you really mean 'The Dash' or do you just want to remove the central facia to get at the radio & Sat Nav ???

I have a 2001 'VX', which is a bit fancy inside but I popped the central facia off no problem and removed the radio. I used one of those cheap, forked "trim removal" tools; the facia is held on with about eight steel spring clips. The heater controls are all electronic so there are just wires in behind - no rode, links or levers  Wink.  

When you see what's hiding in behind the radio you won't want to start taking the whole dash out (its got more wires than a Jumbo Jet  Shocked).

Bob.
DrAndy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 13:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you are right Bob - I meant to say the central fascia not the entire dash.

I want to replace the radio and sat nav (GPS unit won't recognise position) but I'm a bit worried that I won't be able to connect up the original cd stacker system with a new unit - I guess it will become obvious which stereo connections I will need when I take the old one out? Did you replace yours and get the cd stacker working ok?

Once I've replaced the stereo, I will work on fixing the aerial function - at the moment it goes up the moment the ignition is on and doesn't work off the button in the dash - I'm assuming the button still works and that when the chap who had it before me had the aerial replaced (been sat a while and had seized) they didn't connect it up correctly to work off the up/down button on the dash.

I'm a doctor not a mechanic and as my new beast is so good looking I don't want to *beep* it up!

Thanks for your help and advice, greatly appreciated.

Andy
lucky
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 20:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did this on mine, replaced the original sat nav with a double din unit, a lot easier than the 80 series as there is more room. I have a Pioneer AVIC HD1BT unit in there with various bits hanging off it - Bluetooth adaptor, USB adaptor, iPod adaptor and a 6 position switch with front and rear cameras on it connected to the rear camera position.

I'll take some pictures and post them up.

Cheers
Andy
BobMurphy
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 22:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrAndy wrote:
Did you replace yours and get the cd stacker working ok? Andy

No, I didn't replace the radio. I have bad reception on BBC Radio 2 (giving my age away  Embarassed) and wanted to check the aerial connection. The car also came with a 'Parrot' hands-free kit which has an unbelievable amount of hardware stuffed in behind the facia.  I then took the glove box lining out to get a better look in behind but there is so much stuff in there it didn't help much.

I must have a better look at it (and possibly boot-out the Parrot)  Laughing.

Bob.
DrAndy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 22:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks both.

I also get poor reception on radio 2! (although I can't stand Chris Evans and Jeremy Vine so that's a big part of the day done with...) and I want to check the connection - I think the replacement aerial was a bodgit and scarper job.

Pics would be great - I'm not looking at doing this until later in the week so have a bit of time - we've just had a baby boy (4th sproglet!) so he's taking up my time at the moment.

Andy
BobMurphy
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrAndy wrote:
I can't stand Chris Evans and Jeremy Vine so that's a big part of the day done with...)

Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  SNAP! (Not fond of Steve Wright either  Mad  ) It was nice to hear Richard Allinson on the morning slot for a week or two.

Its my kids that are having babies now - I just bought a one-year-old Ford C-MAX Grand, with sliding rear doors, so that my wife (in full "Granny-Mode") can load and unload toddlers in carparks  Cool.

I didn't take pictures when I removed the facia I'm afraid, but its not difficult if you use a wide, thin blade around the edges.

Bob.
lucky
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 23:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

A plastic filler spatula works well to lever out the centre dash panel.
DrAndy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 22:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so I took the fascia off no problem and can easily get to the radio and satnav. Used a trim tool from Halfords - worked a treat but you were right, could have used a number of things to do it.

Looked at my aerial problem - the wires to the socket (above wheel arch) that connects to the aerial have been butchered to enable the fitment of a non Toyota auto aerial.

I can't tell from looking at the socket or by looking at the back of the circuit board behind the central fascia which wires are connected to the up/down switch.

Rang Toyota for a price for original aerial - a whopping £346.46 for a replacement aerial - that's just crazy money for that if you ask me.

Second hand original aerial on e bay for £75 - looks like I'll get that unless anyone knows which wires I would have to connect up to get the up/down switch working?

As always, all help appreciated.

Andy
BobMurphy
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 13:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrAndy wrote:
Second hand original aerial on e bay for £75 - looks like I'll get that unless anyone knows which wires I would have to connect up to get the up/down switch working?

Are these of any use  Wink .

I'm afraid its showing 'print-through' from the diagram on the other side of the page, I've been playing with "Photoshop Elements-12" to try and remove it but without success. If I scan the pages as 'Black & White' the result is useless  Rolling Eyes.

Bob.
DrAndy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 23:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh that's awesome Bob thanks.

I'll have a proper look at that when I can and maybe I can get it to work how I want it to which is up/down on the dash switch and nothing else.

Thanks for that, you're a gent.

Andy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 100 Series / Amazon Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: