Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

active suspension

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 100 Series / Amazon Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sam234s

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 22:43    Post subject: active suspension Reply with quote

i have just removed the active suspension from my 1998 100 series & fitted a lift kit.i wounder if any of it might be of use to anyone here before i put it on e bay sam234s@hotmail.co.uk
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 22:43    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

bushburywolf
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

why ...how and cost of your lift kit sam.. info most welcome..as indeed you are to the forum .. thanks in advance  Very Happy  
Keith

e-mail me at   clanjones@yahoo.com
sam234s

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 21:14    Post subject: 100 series suspension Reply with quote

in answer to your questions
i used ome t bars, coils & shocks ended up with about 50mm lift ,ok ride not to soft
the toyota suspension a real pain to remove v tight bolts & v poor access it took about 3 days
83bj60

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 1:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is active suspension, and is it something that can be fitted on a JDM 80 series?
Grimbo
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Short answer is no, active suspension gives a variable ride hight, self leveling and reactive damping, all things to make a huge heavy cruiser drive more like a car, seems to cause more problems than it solves, hence guys takeing it off and putting normal springs shocks on, most cruisers destined for harsh enviroments/off road use come from the factory with normal suspension, tha active type is not fit and forget it requires regular maintanance.
24Seven

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did all 100's get sold in the UK with actice suspension?
Wandering Willy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:47    Post subject: VX vs GX Reply with quote

I've got a 2002 GX which - as far as I know - was supplied via a Toyota dealer as a normally supplied car.

The GX model doesn't have some of the fancy fittings which come with the VX. So the seats are non-electric, no electric motor on the steering column adjustment hence no settings memory. But most of all, no active suspension. The front suspension is on two large torsion bars and the back sits on two large coil springs.

As a result when empty, the back end is up in the air (a bit) and fully loaded it is down below the front. However, it rides OK and handles well for a big high 4X4.

I can't claim it is as good a riding and handling car as the VX because I've never compared the two but after 2 months of ownership I have no complaints.

Willy
83bj60

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grimbo wrote:
Short answer is no, active suspension gives a variable ride hight, self leveling and reactive damping, all things to make a huge heavy cruiser drive more like a car, seems to cause more problems than it solves, hence guys takeing it off and putting normal springs shocks on, most cruisers destined for harsh enviroments/off road use come from the factory with normal suspension, tha active type is not fit and forget it requires regular maintanance.

I was asking because I have electrically adjustable shocks on my 1991 HDJ81 (JDM), the rest is normal coil springs front and rear. I was wondering if there were perhaps compatible parts with that active suspension of the UK model.

What kind of maintenance are you talking about, is this type of suspension very fussy to deal with and look after? How does it fare in winter with road salt?

Just curious... Self-leveling would sure be neat, as long as it wan't too delicate, of course!
imprator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 16:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the AHC (Active Height Control) suspension system, as fitted to the Lexus LX470 in North America.

When the 100-series Land Cruiser was launched in the UK it came in two version - GX (which had a specification similar to the Land Cruiser sold in the USA - sorry, don't know about Canada) and VX (similar specification to the USA Lexus LX470, but sold as a Toyota). The GX sold in very small numbers and was dropped from the line-up in about 2002 (that date is a guesstimate). Since then, all LC's sold in the UK came with AHC - except to special order.

The AHC system does introduce additional complexity. Routine maintenance just comprises topping up or changing the fluid, although the accumulators need replacing eventually, and the height sensors can be temperamental. However, the improvements in ride, the self-levelling and the ability to alter the car's ride height (even if you do no more than lower it to ease getting in and out) are nice benefits.
83bj60

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 2:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

imprator, thanks for the explanation Smile
freddie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

my  vehicle is a jap import in march i had the old coil springs and
torsion bars replaced
it holds the road better now no wallowing when putting it into  the bends
i tow a 1900kg caravan  and normally the back is full with a generator
gas bottle tool  box  30kgs of road cones and it dosent sag down any more
it cost about £750  the guy has had a few active suspension models in
and has converted to the old style system
see my post from march

http://www.tlocuk.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1753
Phoenix

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 13:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

imprator wrote:
.... Since then, all LC's sold in the UK came with AHC - except to special order.....

If I read this correctly then I have to say that this info is incorrect.

My LC is a 2007 Invincible and it does not have AHC.

My car is not an import and is a UK supplied main dealer car Smile
Oldage Traveler

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 15:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phoenix your invincible should have it (mine does) you should be able to raise and lower the car with buttons in front of the gear stick.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 100 Series / Amazon Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: