4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

My first post

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 100 Series / Amazon Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zia Chowdhury

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 15:13    Post subject: My first post Reply with quote

Hello peeps!

I thought I'd come see the other side of the fence as curiosity has got the better of me. (Yes I know the grass isn't necessarily greener and what curiosity did to the cat. But then a rolling stone gathers no moss)

I have a fully mud-prepped, snorkelled, hiked, 37" tyred '91 Range Rover and am also now faced with a choice between an ’02-reg £20k new-shape RR or an Amazon 100 for daily road use only.

I'm leaning more towards the Amazon 4.7 as I will be carrying my kids around in it and believe that the UN and NATO can't be wrong in its selection according to reliability and utter dependability. Basically, I need it to work when I want it to and not when it feels like. Also, being a RAV4 user, 'er indoors will approve when she sees that Toyota badge (as opposed to the LR one).

So, some questions, if I may:

1. I'm a big believer of split-charged twin-batteries, but where are you guys fitting the second battery? Doesn’t seem like a lot of space available under-bonnet. Anyone have a pic?

2. Who does custom mapping specifically for LPG use?

3. I fancy different wheels & tyres for road-use only. I'm looking at 295-  20 Pirelli Scorpion (30.5" tall) with 9.5 x 20 Antera 325 wheels. What are the other size combos?

4. If the only thing I like or can find for the price is a 4.2TD, who does bigger intercoolers (and, of course, custom mapping)?

5. Is it worth springing the extra bucks to buy an ‘02+ model? What were these upgrades anyway? – apart from the slightly-nicer dash, they look pretty much the same to me, but then I am a newbie.

Thanks
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 15:13    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Nor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 20:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

The HDJ100 (amazon 4.2 TD) comes standard w 2 batt's, but not split charged, just parallel.  You need both to get enough starter current.  If it is without the AHC, it is possible to fit a third battery as well.

For  the '02 + upgrades... The 5 speed auto is better than the 4 sp, in comfort and smother shifts.  Other features might be more airbags.

Anyhow, make sure you don't get a prod.date pre June 5, 2001 HDJ100, without the torq.converter being changed

Last edited by Nor on Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:27; edited 1 time in total
Zia Chowdhury

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 23:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, post '02 it is then.
Cheapest are around 16k on e bay, so I'll do some viewings
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 100 Series / Amazon Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: