Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

headlights/steering wheel?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 100 Series / Amazon Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
amazonbee

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 18:09    Post subject: headlights/steering wheel? Reply with quote

hello, i live in the U.K and own a 1999 amazon which i like a lot.
i would like to know if the wood/leather steering wheel from other toyotas/lexus's would fit mine and if anyone can let me know of aftermarket headlights, taillights, and foglights i can look at to spruce mine up and make it look a little different - i like the look of the 'angel-eyes' bmw type headlights but cannot seem to find them for the amazon.
dont get me wrong, the car is in pearl white and looks really lovely, but it looks stock apart from the wheels i managed to change and that too was difficult as the 5 stud fitment seems to be unique.
thanks in advance everyone.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 18:09    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Wandering Willy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:10    Post subject: String Steering Wheel Reply with quote

Hi AmazonBee

I can offer a string steering wheel! It costs - about 50p.

My car had been owned by someone with incredibly long fingernails or many large rings. The surface of the plastic covering the rim was scored and scraped. I didn't want to damage it further and found the wheel a bit smooth and slippery. Rather than replace the wheel or fit an additional cover I bought some string and after an hour of fiddling about I've got a high grip, unique and totally tactile wheel rim.

It works! Its got a good grip even if you have soggy hands.

OK, I accept it looks like rubbish but if you ever look at old (1930s) sports cars they often had their steering wheels done the same way and for the same reason. Being open cars, it wasn't impossible for the interior to get wet and lugging these old beasts round winding roads you didn't want a slippery shiny wheel rim.

I can send you a sample of the string if you are interested!!

Tongue firmly in cheek

Willy
Chrisk942

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 14:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like a wood/leather steering wheel too. Had one on my previous car and it made it look and feel a bit special.  Cant find anyone in the Uk that does them for the Toyota, there is someone advertising on e bay in the US though that does them and at reasonable prices. Would be good to know if the Lexus ones will fit the Amazon.   I know that in the US they call the petrol Amazon a Lexus 470 or something like that
joinerman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 20:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about one of these?        Joinerman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:00    Post subject: Cruise Control & Airbag Reply with quote

I have a 2002 car and the cruise control switch is part of the steering wheel, i.e. it turns with the wheel.

So, if I change my steering wheel, would I have to get one with a cruise control switch included or could I take it off the existing wheel and fit it to a fixed location on the column?

In the picture from Joinerman there seems to be such a box below the hub of  the new wheel. Possibly earlier cars had this box rather than having the switch on the wheel.

Also, what do you do with the airbag in the centre of the wheel? Can you just discard it or does this invalidate the insurance?

Willy
Chrisk942

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 18:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its better than the string vest one but still not just right !

As mentioned by previous poster it would be nice to keep things standard and to be able to use the steering wheel controls for stereo, handsfree pickup and voice stuff and of course the airybag too.
amazonbee

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 20:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree the wheel looks LOVELY
- but not quite right.
i still dont know if the wheel from the lexus will fit or even from another make, maybe the s class merc i will keep trying to find out.
that wheel looks Realyy nice...........
but i think i will try a little longer.
Bee
amazonbee

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 20:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

almost a full tank of fuel too?................ impressive!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 100 Series / Amazon Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: