Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Snorkel.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 100 Series / Amazon Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nasher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 20:22    Post subject: Snorkel. Reply with quote

As can be seen from my other post I'm looking for an Amazon at the moment, probably 02 to 53 Plate 4.2TD.

One of the issues I've had with the Shogun is its capacity to get through air filters during the summer, because of the very dusty roads I use it on both here and in France.

Is there a Snorkel available for the Amazon that doesn't look too over the top like a kitted up Land Rover. Something stylish just to try getting the intake into cleaner air?

Or am I just being Over the top myself?

Thanks

Nasher.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 20:22    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Nor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 23:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about this one:

Precio: 750 Euros.

More details HERE <-- Click to link

Otherwise, the 100 series TD (OK, Amazon) has a fairly big filter, and if it isn't already fitted with a cyclone-filter, you could fit one.  I believe all diesels have the cyclone though.  Works in the sandy deserts.
uk_vette
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 21:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

That snorkel looks very stylish.
Not out of place at all.

hardly noticable
100 TD

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very $$$$$$$$stylish!
Pull the top of your aircleane off and get a torch and look down into the elbow of your turbo inlet. When yousee all the dirt and mud in there you will put a snorkel on no matter what it looks like.
100 TD

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picture of mine HERE if it works

This is through the Toyota original cylonic filter that is washable and supposed to be good for 100,000km. The clean area is where the crankcase(tappet cover) breather comes in and washes all the dirt away with the oil.
Wandering Willy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 14:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may be of no help but I did see that there are two sizes of filter element which can be fitted in the same housing. The newer larger diameter one is meant for the 100 series with the turbocharger. It is a fairly cosy fit inside the housing in spite of the latter's large size. The smaller diameter element is for cars without the turbo.

When replacing the element, make sure you don't buy the smaller one by mistake. The larger element has a much larger surface area and therefore, capacity to cope with dirty conditions.

I am referring to the standard paper elements not a washable version. This may also come in several sizes but I can't comment on that.

The larger filter doesn't negate the benefits of the snorkel but would help airflow etc.

Willy
100 TD

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 22:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the turbo diesel the OEM filter is 17801-17020 for the HDJ100, it is the large one and washable, Donaldson make a replacement P505959, it is a non washable, other companies make them as well. The main concern I have is although the filter is bigger, what is the filtration capacity or micron size, because they seem to let a lot of dirt through them. I urge everybody to have a look down their turbo inlet. Picking up air from the inner wheel arch is not the ideal place to find clean air, so a snorkel will at least reduce the amount of dust entering the filter housing and the amount going through the filter into your engine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 100 Series / Amazon Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: