Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Record Mileage.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 80 Series Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pomracer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 16:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

joining this thread a little late , but here goes:-

12v, bought at 80,000 now done 173,000. Annual average now reduced to about 7 or 8k. Most of it towing
Change oil every 4000 miles, always have done, and usually use Castrol GTD magnatec. or similar
Have NOT done BEBs yet, but might get around to it soon.
Have not touched injectors or valve clearances.

Did have a prob with the auto box soon after i bought it, and it turned out that it was a problem with the solenoids which were replaced with the box it the car. Since then no probs at all, but I have changed the ATF at 30k intervals and have used Amsoil heavy duty atf.....seems 100% for now, and as above have done a lot of heavy towing with it

major other items:- New radiator 2 years ago ( corroded so leaking - due to salt damage from winter driving I think) ; Aircon has had its ups and downs but now sorted;.........oh, at 130k hubs/swivels/bearings etc all done; ................

Have run BFG all terrains - fantastic tyres which just go on forever.
just routine maintenance otherwise otherwise..............
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 16:39    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

pomracer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 16:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry - forgot to include the starter motor which gave up at 165,000.

Agree with other contributors regarding Toyota parts - have always used Toyota oil filters depsite their ridiculous price, and also genuine parts for major items.

These machines are thirsty, but I am going to run mine into the ground!!
garth

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 23:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now 380000 miles still going strong !
4wheel

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 18:40    Post subject: Mileage Reply with quote

Garthy is that 24V a 3.4L petrol ?
gazguzzler

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 21:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

180k miles, M Reg, 12V, not done BEBs, I believe if its working leave it alone and if its got to that mileage without any undue noises they can't be too bad! No service history to speak of.

Just put on new brakes all round, need to get diff locks working. 2" Lift and 33" Kumhos

Phil

If you want to come back take a Landcruiser...
spackrackman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 22:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting read

how come so many of you have done the big end bearings? is it not a mammoth job? I assume not seeing so many of you have had them done. What are the signs that they need replacing!  you have me worried now. The only thing I have noticed is my oil pressure gauge on general running sits on only a quarter then up to half if revved hard but not really any higher.  I have read though that the gauges can be a bit shite. The engine sounds great from the second the engine starts.  no smoke or rattles.. Shall I just keep plodding on and stop worrying?  its a 24v manual
spackrackman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 22:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh and whats this about the trip in the reliant??  would like to know more about that, its something on that theme that I have wanted to do for ages. I keep considering signing up for the TUK TUK challenge across India. Would love to see some pics and know how you got on when you get started.  Is it organised by someone or are you doing it off your own back?

Good effort!
Paul_Humphreys

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 22:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is on 184,000 miles and it has never had the big end bearings done according to the FSH, most of it Toyota.

Paul

http://www.crag-uk.org
http://www.4x4responsewales.org
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 23:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

They don't really give a warning, they just die. My 80 ran great, sounded great, no reason to worry but changed the beb's anyway and one of them was very close to total failure.

01 UZJ100 lifted (AHC & 40mm BL), ARB locked f&r, cryo'd 4.88's, TJM front bumper, 12k goldfish, sliders, rack, snorkel, 35's, storage, aux power etc.
93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
Desperatezulu
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

spackrackman wrote:
 its a 24v manual

There is a view that the BEB problems were mainly on the 12V's as the bearing material had some defect or wasn't suited to Aus/European? oils or some such story. The 24V's seem to be largely immune to this particular problem as the bearing material was changed on this engine apparently, so changing the BEBs is probably not necessary. FWIW I have a 24V and I do not intend to change the BEBs.

Cheers,

'98 LC80 4.2TD VX 24v
4wheel

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:56    Post subject: Miles Reply with quote

tard  I have a relative youngster.155000 miles - but a 3.4 petrol.Now not sure what mileage it will do but uses no oil,pulls like a train and I have to check if it is ticking over as no vibration and very quiet. Not too bad on juice either-as long as I do'nt push it.Thing is not sure of SH as has been abused.There was enough horse hair in the air cleaner when I got it to knit a jumper! But then I will only do about 3000miles a year so Time will tell.
garth

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 15:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still on original BEBs the only thing i have changed is the clutch and that was at 370000 miles !
What a great car
AOK HDJ80

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 23:46    Post subject: MILAGE !! 406,000 Reply with quote

HI ALL FROM IRELAND ,
MY VX 4.2 12V 1992 HAS JUST DONE 406,OOO MILES ! Laughing FIRST DAY ENGINE BOX DIFFS AND TURBO ECT,
HERE IS A QUICK RUN OF ITS LIFE 3 OWNERS AND A HARD  LIFE, WROTE OFF 2 CARS FIRST WAS A AUDI 100, LAST GUY WAS FRENCH GUY HE DROVE AROUND A BEND ON THE WRONG SIDE OF THE ROAD AND STRAIGHT INTO R.H.S HE BROKE HIS LEG! HE HAD TO FLY HOME AS HIS RENAULT ESPACE WENT TO THE SCRAP YARD. NEW WHEEL AND TYRE , BUMPER, STEERING ARM, WING ,HUB SORTED HER. O IT DROVE HOME Smile .TOWS EVERY DAY 6 DAYS A WEEK FOR THE LAST 10 YEARS WHEN MY MATE HAD IT AND WITH ME ALSO CARS VANS  BOXS TIPPER TRAILER AND A GOOD FUE TIMES TRACTORS!!  
IF IT STOPS OR WONT START GET THE VX SHE WILL  PULL IT,I EVEN HAD IT TAKEN OFF ME BY THE LAW FOR TOWING WAY OVER THE WEIGHT LIMIT OF THE TRAILER AND THE VX OOPS Embarassed                                                                                                                                                                           EVERY 4000 MILES OIL 10W40 AND A TOYOTA OIL FILTER THIS IS A MUST. EVERY 6 MONTHS AIR AND DIESEL FILTER AND EVERY 8 FILLS  5LT OF PETROL TO A FULL TANK. EVERY YEAR GEAR BOX AND DIFF OILS GL5. O AND BIG ENDS OR HEAD GASKET NEVER NEVER DONE.
I HAVE TAKEN IT OFF THE ROAD FOR FUE DAYS TO DO SOME WORK BRAKES ECT THE 7TH CAM BELT DOING THIS ONE EARLY  ITS TEST TIME .
TOO BE FAIR NOW ITS GETTING SMOKEY AFTER TICK OVER AND ON START UP IN THE MORNINGS  WINDOWS ARE LAZY IT SLIPS OUT OF 3RD GEAR AND SOME WIRING PROBLEMS NOT MUCH HEAD LIGHTS ONLY WORK ON LHS WHEN THEY WANT. BUT SOME TIMES IT WONT START IT WONT SWICH OVER TO 24VOLTS TO START.DONT KNOW IF I SHOULD GO MAD AND DO ALL THE WORK TO IT OR JUST TEST IT FOR THIS YEAR AND AND LET HER BE THEN WE SAY THIS EVERY YEAR Very Happy SELL IT FOR THE HARD CORE OFF ROAD GUYS. OR TOP GEAR Laughing  PARTS VERY HARD TO GET 2ND HAND IN IRELAND, I COULD WRITE FOR AGES ABOUT THE VX . IT JUST WONT DIE. SO HERE TO THE BEST BUILT JEEPS IN THE WORLD AND CARS WONT HAVE ANY OTHER MAKE . BEST OF LUCK TO YE ALL.
aroscow

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum.

Great write up!

Am curious - why the 5 litres of petrol every 8th tank?  I've been adding a glug of ATF to each tank and thats made her run a lot quiter and smoother (got the tip from the lcool Australian forum)..

In my opinion don't let her die, she's been to good to you. A few quid and she'll be back to her former glory.

Awesome machines.
Supercruiser80

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 20:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

mines just after changing to 170000miles.... changed the bebs today for acl's and cycl no.2 bearing shell was tottaly destroyed.... all pitted and huge lumps missing.... i was told by 2 mechanics to 'leave well enough alone' and 'is it knocking'.... and 'That engines a sweet as a nut dont bother' the were surprised and i would advise any1 to do so if not done already....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 80 Series Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: