4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Front anti role bar bushes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lennytoyota

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 17:51    Post subject: Front anti role bar bushes Reply with quote

Just fitted new anti roll bar bushes to the front of my LC easy enough to remove but a get to replace ,the problem being the lenth of the bolts, they are a bit  short when trying to clamp everything back up,best to obtain longer bolts and just cut the old ones off the clamp when you remove it,I ended up using bottle jack to hold the clamp in place while I got the nut an bolts in.

Rears next anyone done them any advice welcome.
Lenny
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 17:51    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 20:57    Post subject: back and front Reply with quote

Funny thing that. I did both front and rears in Feb. Fronts were a doddle. Actually came with a sachet of white grease. All of the bolts came out really easily and the new bushes went on just fine. Fastening them up was a cinch too. You need to lubricate the inside of the bushes too as there is considerable wear in there if the roll bar isn't smooth.

Now, Lenny - the back ones can be a swine. There are two bolts holding the stirrup in place and a hook on the trailing edge that forms a sort of hinge. I have done two lots of these now. Be prepared. The bolts shear off as though they're made of plasticine. When I did mine in Feb, only one bolt out of 4 didn't shear. Warm them, cool them, warm then again. Get penetrating spray into them. Try tightening them a little first, then try to loosen, then tighten again. Wire brush as much of the thread as you can too. If they snap, you will have to drill out the bolts in situ and re-thread. I drilled close to the thread, then using a very small diamond pointed chisel, I collapsed the remaining collar of bolt / thread on itself and pushed it out. Last time, I ended up drilling it oversize and went up a bolt size. On the back of the plate there is a captive nut. You may need to chisel this off if you accidentally hit the threads and *beep* them up. Difficulty on the lower bolt holes is the 'hinge tab' that stops you getting a spanner in to tighten them up. The top bolt is easy to get a nylock on. If you have a welder, you can spot the bottom nut on before you put the stirrup back on.

Best answer DON'T SHEAR THE BOLTS!!!

LC
lennytoyota

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 22:16    Post subject: rear bushes Reply with quote

Thanks for that LC I wil have a good look when I am doing my coil springs,,do the bolts go into a thread on the chassis, or are they like the front ones and have a welded nut on the stirrup,if like the fronts I will gets new bolts and stirrups from toyota.
Lenny
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 23:09    Post subject: Rears Reply with quote

No, not quite. The fronts have one captive bolt and one captive nut, from memory. The rear stirrups are both simply holes with the captive nuts on the blind side of a welded on bracket.

LC
lennytoyota

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 0:07    Post subject: bushes Reply with quote

Something for the weekend then!
Lenny
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: