Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Differences in version (Colorado vs Amazon vs Prado)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> General Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ricouk

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 23:45    Post subject: Differences in version (Colorado vs Amazon vs Prado) Reply with quote

Hi,

Sorry if this is a newbie question.

I am looking topurchase a 8-10 year old Land Cruiser as I need something with a lot of space for 5 children and 4WD as I live way out in the sticks and the roads get a bit nasty in the winter. I decided upon Toyota as they seem to be pretty bomb-proof and I need something reliable.

Can someone point me at some reading on the diffrerences between the Colorado and the Prado?
I get the Amazon and the Colorado but can't find any info on where the Prado fits into the range and the different trim levels on it. (EX, GX, VX is easy for the Colorado and Amazon)

Also, the figures I've seen show better mpg for the 4.2D Amazon than the 3.0D Colorado. Is this really so?

Assuming I won't be towing anything, would other users recommend a manual or an  auto?

Many thanks for your patience with so many questions.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 23:45    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

DJR

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 0:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only question I can answer is the difference between the Colorado and the Prado.

Essentially, they are the same vehicle. Colorado is the name that Toyota decided on for the UK market, and Prado is for the Japanese market.

So, a Prado is an imported vehicle. The Japs tend to like the gadgets, so Prado's are sometimes a little higher specced than the Colorados. Having said that, SOME Japs have a dubious taste in vehicles, and, in my opinion, there's a good reason why some accessories aren't available in the UK!!

1996 3.0 tdi Prado Import.  Gone!!
olivergt

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was looking I found better figures for the Amaxon than the Colorado, I believe if you can stretch to the D4D engine you will be alright though.

I ended up getting a 97 80 Series Amazon 4.2 Diesel, have been delighted with it and get 26-27 MPG.

Hope this helps.

Oliver
ricouk

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 16:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for your comments, guys. That helps me clear things up a little in my mind.
I'll probably look for a 4.2D Amazon but they seem pretty scarce at the moment.
Can somebody enlighten me on the different trim levels of the Prado please?

Thanks again,

Richard.
uk_vette
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 20:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ricouk,

The Land Cruiser is made in many variants.

The ones you are talking about is the 90 series Colorado, the 80 series Amazon, and the newest, the 120 series Land Cruiser.

The 120 series is the upgrade to the Colorado 90 series.

The 90 series is only known as a Colorado in the UK.

The 120 series are called Land Cruisers LC2, LC3, LC4, LC5, (the LC5 was later called the "Invincible) could be wrong though.

The LC2 - 5 determine the level of trim.
LC2 being a very base model, which I think was only available in limited quantity, and in particular markets.

So, essentially, for all intent and purposes, the LC3 is the base model.
Don't be put off by the term "base model", the LC3 is very well fitted out.
keeps me more than happy.

The 120 series all got the newer D4d  (1KD-FTV) engine, and this engine was available in the 90 series for perhaps the last 2 years of production.

Now, the difference between the older diesel in the 90 series, and the D4d is like night and day.
Much more powerful, and much better on fuel.
My son has the older 3.0 liter TD and i have the newer 3.0 D4d, and there is so much difference, it feels like the newer 3.0 liter has a few extra cylinders.
The D4d engines all put out either 161, 165, or 173 bhp. I think there is a tuning box, which then up's the power to a staggering 204, God only knows how that must run, because in standard form, 100 mph, comes and go's rather easy.

There will probably be a few errors in my post, and I ask all the more knowledgeble to please correct my post.
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 22:24    Post subject: Adding to uk_vette Reply with quote

Don't forget the auto is a 5 speed on the 120 over the older 3 speed + overdrive set up on the Colorado. The new 5 speed auto is excellent. It's a shame that they did away with the sliding middle seats that were fitted to early LWB Colorados. Personally, I thought that was a really useful feature.

LC
boonie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 17:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

as you say if you are not going to tow,would recomend going for the auto.just be careful when looking at the older models and check best you can theirs no gremlins in the auto box as this could cost you a small fortune.
Asad

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

and for all friends let me tell you that PRADO has trims GX, TX and TZ.
the GX comes in manual transmission only..... where TX and TZ comes in automatic only ( i might be wrong)

GX is equal to LC3
TX is equal to LC4
TZ is equal to LC5

please any one help what is the difference in LC5 and invincible????????????????? in UK
uk_vette
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 20:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a period when the Invincible came standard with engine power upgrade, to about 200 bhp
Where the LC 5 just had the normal 171 BHP
Jazbee

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 22:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

uk_vette wrote:
There was a period when the Invincible came standard with engine power upgrade, to about 200 bhp
Where the LC 5 just had the normal 171 BHP

Then the buggers decided to stop all the fun and made them all 173hp dontknow  Very Happy
Nuclear Chicken
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 13:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Older LC120 autos had a 4 speed. Not sure when the change was but I think around 2006 somewhere. I was quite sceptical of the 4 sp initially but it is quite good although I'd prefer a 5 as the gearing ratios must be better and more flexible. I'd be surprised if fuel economy wasn't a bit better too
electricman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2023 8:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good morning,
We have been happy owners of our Landcruiser LC4 D-4D Auto for 15 years first registered in 2008 we 2nd owners purchased 2008. Vehicle well maintained never let us down. So 2 weeks ago returning home from Yorkshire to Warwickshire 10:00am  we're on M18 70 miles an hour engine dies no lights on dashboard so coast to hard shoulder. AA safely recovered us to home, done a good job well pleased. My mechanic who's maintained this vehicle since we had it advises me engine seized and beyond economic repair so were gutted as there was no clue and we thought this vehicle would last forever, it had been a great family motor up until now, mystery?
Anyway moving on we've found a Toyota Landcruiser 2019 2.8D Auto 57,000 miles FSH. We only discovered it was a Prada when we seen it on the tailgate which made us slightly suspicious that it wasn't in the title whilst advertised? Also we also seen a post ref oil problems leading to engine seizure's. So as you will of guessed I'm asking you Guys & Gals out there for your comments & feedback which would be most appreciated. Also as an import should we expect any issues with spares,  insurance etc?  Thank you and have a good weekend.

Regards

Steve
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> General Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: