All Wheel Drive Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

100 petrol versus 80 petrol

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 100 Series / Amazon Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
curlyearly

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 22:24    Post subject: 100 petrol versus 80 petrol Reply with quote

Hello

Thinking of trading upto a 100 series. I currently have a 80 series petrol (4.5 straight six) and are considering a 100 series petrol (4/7 V8).

Can someone tell me how the two engines compare in terms of driveability, economy and performance.

If I proceed I will be goin down the LPG route.

All comments gratefully received.

Earl
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 22:24    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Wandering Willy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 16:14    Post subject: Some Thoughts Reply with quote

As no-one else has commented on you request, I thought I would put down a few thoughts.

Only you can judge what the advantages might be since the possible benefits in my mind could be drawbacks in yours.

The 100 series has independent front suspension. This makes the ride a little smoother and it handles a little better. However, some people find the rigid axles on the 80 (or 105 if you can find one) better for off-road work.

I think the 100 is a bit heavier than the 80 which may increase fuel consumption a little, but it is probably more sensitive to your driving style than any change caused by the additional weight.

Probably the biggest difference is that the 100 petrol engined version is aimed at the Chelsea Tractor market so it gets the benefits of various electronic gadgets to improve its performance on difficult surfaces rather than relying on diff locks.

I think it would be hard to find a 100 petrol with a manual gearbox which is OK if you want an automatic.

The VX model 100 has self leveling suspension and an electrically moved steering column. Both features are known to give problems which can be expensive.

The V8 petrol engine seems to require a little more work than the straight 6 engine in the 80 (or the diesel engines in both). For example, changing the timing belt requires the removal of the radiator and various pulleys (while the 6 cylinder diesel engine requires neither).

The only comment I can offer regarding an LPG conversion is that the equipment can be excellent but you are in the hands of the installer who may be excellent as well or may be complete rubbish. Researching a good installer would be my top priority. Buying a converted car could be a mistake as the seller may be hoping to get rid of a car which has been ruined by such an installer doing his worst.

Another thought on this is to get the biggest LPG tank possible - over 100 litres - as you can only use 80% of its nominal capacity and fuel consumption will be about 10% higher than with petrol.

I should add that I've got a 2002 diesel GX which lacks the self leveling suspension and electric steering column but suits me very well as a working vehicle. So, my comments may not be very helpful or have missed an important point.

Willy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 100 Series / Amazon Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: