Atlas Overland Adventure Tours

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

New stereo install with full write up and photo's

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 80 Series Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
snowwolf

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:04    Post subject: New stereo install with full write up and photo's Reply with quote

I thought I would do a full replacement of the stereo system in my car, been wanting to do it the last 4 years!!! stock system is so shite.

Click the link to see photo's

http://public.fotki.com/snowwolf115/quotes/

Head unit is a Sony MEX-BT3600U £160

Front Door speakers, Infinity 6020CS Reference 90 RMS £60

Rear speakers, Infinity Kappa 42.7i 50RMS £60

Infinity amplifier, REF475A 4 channel £120

Active Subwoofer Vibe SQ8 300RMS £120

This project has basically, taken 3 days to do, and to be honest is quite easy to do, but you do need a few tools that will make the job a lot easier.

A Dremel hobby drill makes cutting the front door panels an easy job and also you have to slit out a small 1 inch x 3/8 slot from the metal either side on the rear speakers to allow the speaker conections on the Kappa 42.7i's as they have a woofer and tweeter conections either side of the speaker, the rears also have a crossover unit that I wrapped in bubble wrap and that went in the inside of the door panel, You can do all the rear speaker replacement without taking the panel off the door.

The front speakers need an MDF spacer 15mm thick 6 1/4 OD and 5" ID The outside edge of the spacer needs to be shampfered off to allow for the concave of the speaker hole, I also sourced some front speaker grills from some Alpine SPR 17C speakers, as these are a lot shallower than the Infinity grills, here in the UK we don't have speakers in the doors, all UK models have the small speakers in the dash, so have to run new wires to the doors.

The rear spacers are not round, make a card template of the hole in the door and the hole centres can be marked through from the plastic original speaker bracket, you can use the original speaker mount holes, you just need to drill the spacer to accommodate the plastic door fixings that are already there, also shampfer the edges of the spacer to allow a nice fit in the door.

Amplifier is easy to fit with the seat out, 4 bolts and 1 seat connection, very easy to remove and makes fitting the amp a doddle, all I used was 4 self tappers into the carpet, sounds bad but it does hold it quite firm.

The Vibe Sub I have got sitting in the rear seat area behind the cubby box, I have sited it there because I go camping a lot and need the area behind the rear seats clear, and if I need to have the rear seats folded forward, I can just remove the Sub, just a couple of wiring connections to remove.

There are 6 RCA/PHONO cables that run from the rear of the head unit to the amp, 2 for rear speakers, 2 for front and 2 for the sub woofer, all the cables fit under the centre console ok, a bit of a squeeze but it can be done.

The Sony head unit is such a good bit of kit, my mobile phone automatically connects to the head unit via bluetooth as soon as I get in the car, if I am listening to music and someone calls me, it mutes the sound when I accept the call by pushing the volume knob and with it’s built in mic you have handsfree calling and it works really well, also if I want to call someone I push a button on the head unit and say the name of the person I want to call, it automatically calls them, very nifty! also I have installed a 6 CD holder above the stereo to fill the gap.

You can also stream all the music via bluetooth that you have stored in the phone memory to the head unit and it has a built in USB in the front so you can plug in a USB memory stick which can be loaded with music too,.

I must admit, it sounds the dogs nuts, well worth the time and effort
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:04    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Pugwash

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 18:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great write snowwolf- just tsarted using it as the basis of my install

could you possibly rehost the piccies though as they are currently asking for a password to view!
a13bee

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 20:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi went to look at the pics but its asking for a password what do i do now or what do you do now regards
snowwolf

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:45    Post subject: HiFi install Reply with quote

Glad you mentioned thge photo link.....

For some reason it had been locked, perhaps after a certain time, Fotki lock them, well it's all unlocked now Smile
Pugwash

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

how did you fix the tweeters onto the A-pillars- glue? screw? velcro?
snowwolf

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 20:45    Post subject: hifi Reply with quote

I used the small screws that came with the tweeters.
WhereIsGibson

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Images blocked again?
Supercruiser80

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

blocked...i wanna see them  Smile
Bigchaser

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Infinity make some good gear and give quality sound.
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you replace the wiring for the speakers, or leave in the stock rubbish?
yellowtrumpet

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 21:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

any chance of unblocking pics?
fubar
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 13:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

images still blocked! snow joke snowolf can u unblock them?
snowwolf

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 11:25    Post subject: should work now, sorry about the delay Reply with quote

I had to pay Fotki in the end to unblock my account, but it should all work now with any luck
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 80 Series Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: