All Wheel Drive Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

2nd Hand 120 series - what to look for?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 22:10    Post subject: 2nd Hand 120 series - what to look for? Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm looking to buy a 2nd hand (2005 - 2006) TLC 120 series, either LC3 or LC4.  Couple of questions from the current owners of these, please:

1. Manual or auto - I plan to do as much off-roading as possible, and will be touring North Africa (Morocco particularly) in 2010 (or so...).  I'd also want to overland back to Cape Town one day...  Confused
2. What other aspects to worry about?  I looked at one today (LC3) and think that after driving it for a while my left thigh will be rather larger than my right - clutch very heavy and gearbox a tad 'wobbly'  Rolling Eyes .  Is this normal wear (60k miles on a 2005 LC3 manual D4D) or is something about to break?
3.  What suspension upgrades are recommended?  My 80 series in South Africa had OME 200kg constants with a 50mm lift on, and was fantastic, but a lot of credence has been given to IronMan suspension lately - anyone got any strong prefs?
4.  Which is the better model to go for - LC3 or LC4 - this is a long-term 'keeper' vehicle, so I need to get it right first time!!
5.  What's a reasonable price to expect to pay, and what sort of mileage is 'normal' per annum (I know that varies a heck of a lot from area to area, but any pointers welcome!)

Lastly - anyone know of a good example for sale?  Preferably in Scotland, but I'm prepared to travel to get the right one - and is anyone able to help out with a 'first once-over' viewing?  Question

Many thanks,

Gary
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 22:10    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

uk_vette
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gary,

Go for the auto every time.
Now, a lot of people said they would never have an auto.
My, how they change.
I wouldn't entertain a manual 120 series, and I think most, if not all on the forum will agree.
My 2005 has just passed the210k miles, yes , star ship miles, and I just replaced the alternater this week.
They are almost all good, but a few guy's here complain of a noisy engine.
perhaps they are the unlucky ones, i am sure the vast majority are quiet, like mine.
infact, whisper smooth.

have to go now, so more later

Look here and start saving
http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/travellers-seeking-travellers/london-to-cape-town-33834

graham
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 18:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Auto - agreed
Noisy, unlucky - agreed

LC
Pumairl
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 15:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for noisy engine, just turn up the stereo.. or in my situation, some of the road noise covers up everything.... lol
Wandering Willy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the engine is noisy you might help it by using some of the engine flushing stuff when changing the oil. With an older car, the mesh covering the end of the oil pickup pipe in the sump get partly blocked and this reduces the oil flow. This can leave the engine starved of oil when starting from cold and when idling.

If the car has a diesel engine, try adding some injector cleaner to the fuel. If the injector nozzles are dirty, you can get a poor spray of fuel and this burns badly. I know it is hard to picture this but the result is something like a series of little explosions as the droplets of oil (rather than a fine mist) burn. This results in a rattly sound like a clapped out engine.

If you replace the thermostat in the cooling system, the engine will warm up quicker and probably keep warmer when driven at slower speeds. This should help it run a bit quieter as a cold engine always sounds slightly worse than a warm one.

Try replacing the engine oil. I wouldn't necessarily go for a thicker oil but try one of the upmarket brands (Mobil, BP?) to see if this helps reduce engine noise.

None of these suggestions will make the engine like new but one or all should make it a little more bearable.

Willy
120man

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 19:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, there are far more autos around than manuals. I would go for the LC3 for serious overlanding on the grounds it has less to go wrong, in particular the brake trickery instead of a real diff lock.

If there is any suggestion it has been used for towing substantial loads (Horse Box, large caravan etc) or serious off roading in an unmodified state consider that there will be others around that have had a much easier life.

Look for leaking shock absobers and seepages in general.  

Check around the tail door hinges where they join the body. Any sign of cracking or repair then run away, because that is serious money. (And also one reason why you should not be hanging bikes off one of those contraptions that cling to a door mounted spare wheel)

Otherwise as with any car look for FSH and when you get it change EVERYTHING in terms of fluids: engine, transmission, transfer case, rear diff and brake fluid, maybe coolant if high miles. Also change air filter and bung in some injector cleaner.

Well worth paying a few quid for an RAC/AA vehicle inspection and report.

Prices. Ah, that is negotiable! Example, SDM Toyota in Falkirk are offering an '06 LC3 with 26K on the clock for £17,495. If they get anything more than £14K for that should be weeping with joy to get the cash because that is the best it would do at auction and far from certain they could sell it at all right now.
Rick

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

As others have said, definitely go for the auto.  A fantastic box and still giving plenty of control for off road at low speeds, particularly in low box.
Think I would go for the LC4 over the LC3.  Reasons?  More comfortable seats and leather also if that matters to you.  The traction control is excellent instead of a diff lock and there really is not too much to go wrong as it is just an extension of the ABS breaking system.  Also, there are supposedly some weaknesses in the rear diffs on this model.  Many of the Australian guys have blown diffs whilst using the lock offroading.  This isn't a worry with the traction control.
Another big plus with the LC4 is that you get the choice of the spare wheel either on the rear door (as LC3), or underneath the vehicle on a neat little chain winch.  If you went for the underslung model, there is the potential to source another rear door from an LC3 and then have a second spare there as well, giving you twice the spare wheel carrying capacity without necessarily having to resort to a roofrack.  By the way, mine is the underslung model and I can't see that it makes any difference at all to ground clearance etc.
In terms of price - who knows at the moment; you'll just have to trawl the market to get a feel for it.  I would imagine though that there are some world class bargains to be had.
Mileage?  I would think that 10-15k miles per year would be about average for these vehicles.  Anyway, you should be able to get a good 55 or 06 with less than 50 or 60k miles - just run in!  If you're lucky you might find a  veryl ow mileage one that some tasty mummy has used just deliver the kids to school every day and it will have had very little abuse (other than perhaps some new bumpers Rolling Eyes )
Don't know much about the available suspension upgrades but have a look on the Australian site (pradopoint.com) as they are all seriously into modding 120s for serious outback use etc.
Hope that helps.
uk_vette
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 15:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rick,

Good write-up there on the 120.

I think some times some people might see them as "Too pretty" to take off road, and that they have turned the venerable Land Cruiser into a soft roader.

However, we know better !

Found these a while ago,

And one of my all time favourites, (not Land Cruiser related, well, it might be )

For Land Rover peace of mind
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 17:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, folks, for all the helpful responses.  After some searching, I went down to the Borders today and had a look around at a few TLC120's there.  Damn if I didn't find a nice low-mileage, 55-plate LC5 sitting there - little out the price range but a bit of haggle sorted that.  SOoooo - am now the proud owner of a 120 series TLC  Razz  Razz   And it's an auto, so will report regularly on what's happening...

Now - to chuck out the electrickery of the adjustable height suspension, and replace it with an OME suspension kit.  And does anyone know where (in Scotland, preferably) I can go to source that? Done a fair bit of searching on t'internet, and on this forum, and don't seem to be making much progress  Embarassed

Once that's done, next will be adecent set of BFG/ATs and then to get the roof-rack and tent fitted, and we'll be ready to head off to where there IS some blue sky  Shocked
uk_vette
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 17:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geez, Gary,
no flies on you is there !

Well done on the LC5
Price and miles? if you don't mind that is.

Then you know you need to post all the images.

Any way, welcome, and I just know how much your going to enjoy it.

When do you collect?
uk_vette
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 17:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and Gary,

Lots of blue sky were we are all heading September 2010
Lots of time to prepare.

UK to Cape Town
http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/travellers-seeking-travellers/london-to-cape-town-33834
So with you that could make 6 vehicles and about 3 bikes up to now.
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 20:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great - thanks for the web site - I'll give them a ring.

For those contemplating the overland trip to Cape Town (my 'other' home...) I'd suggest joining (or lurking) on the SA Cruiser Club forum - lot's of knowledgeable folk who will give you a warm welcome..  Laughing

www.landcruiserclub.co.za

And also go look at Tracks4Africa for the all-important mapping info...

Search for tracks4africa in google

Sorry - have had to 'adjust' the addresses so I can post them.... - got an anti-spam warning....  me??  Spam???  Never  Twisted Evil

Cheers
uk_vette
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 15:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gary,
I lived in Cape Town for 16 years.

And you, are you from the Cape?
I (We) still have our house there, infact the other half just left Manchester this morning for 3 weeks in The Cape.

The trip to Cape Town will be so exciting, I am really looking forward.

The question I have for myself is, do I ship my 120 back to UK, or sell it in Cape Town.
We both have permanent residence for South Africa, so not too much trouble on the selling front.
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 16:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep - originally from Zim, then SA (Johannesburg, then Cape Town for 15 years) till I married a Scot  Shocked  Confused

If I remember correctly about trying to sell your vehicle, you have to have owned it for two years prior to taking it in to the country, and then I think there's also a limit on how long it can be in the country prior to you selling it - 18 months, I think.  Additionally, it'll have to be altered for SA regulations - so the speedo and odometer will all have to change over to km/h instead of mph, etc.  Probably best to ship it home again - although you may ind someone who'll buy it an not register it for the required time!!

Alternatively - stick it on blocks in a garage and fly back every July / August / September to go overlanding through Africa south of the Sahara - got all of SA, Botswana, Lesotho, Mozambique, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Malawi, Kenya, Tanzania.....  Laughing  Laughing  

If I could afford it, that's what I'd do!!

Also - the SA Prado (120) is not available in D4D version yet - still running the KZ-TE motor, so spares may be an issue.

Cheers
uk_vette
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 18:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gary,
Almost 100%.

The 2 years is right
The 18 months is right, unless, like you say, sell to a friend, or family member in my case.
Speedo is OK, as shows kmh,

Need to get "Certificate of Conformity" that will cost £75.00
Weighed at weigh stn in CPT
Roadworthy.
Then throw the bones on the floor as far as SARS is concerned !

(I only know all this because I was 100% involved when my 2 nephews took an MR2 each back to CPT)

The SA Prado, yes, still has the tractor engine.
But the Hi lux bakkie has the D4d
Prado due to get the D4d in June 2009
The d4d was delayed partly because of the fuel quality
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: