All Wheel Drive Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

LC5 suspension mods

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:06    Post subject: LC5 suspension mods Reply with quote

Hi all,

Have now managed to do a bit of driving in my 'new' LC5 (pics to follow.....) and am starting to think about the planned mods...... the first of which will be to get rid of the electrickery suspension stuff.  So - anyone had a go at replacing the air springs, shocks etc. on an LC5?  I intend to put on OME suspension allround, if this can be done.  I assume it's possible - but may need to tweak the on-board computer to think all is still OK?   Twisted Evil

Any thoughts?

Gary
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:06    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

jojo1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 19:42    Post subject: 120 suspension Reply with quote

Hi Gary,

Glad you're having fun with your new 120.

Have a word with Paul at Footloose 4x4. 07133 362999. He fitted the OME suspension to my LC3, non air suspension, I know. I was in his workshop today and he'd just finished converting a very nice 100 series to OME coils. If anyone knows how to do it, it's Paul.

Jojo
uk_vette
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 22:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gary,

I would think the air ride suspension is all very nice when it works. On tarmac, and slight off road.
But to me, a Land Cruiser isn't about "air ride ' suspension. Its tougher than that.
Sure it looks pretty, but it's all tough under that pretty bodywork.
I don't think or sound like your plans are 100% on the road, so perhaps, a swap out to regular springs might be a good idea.
You know, you could maybe drive them round the world, and the suspension would be fine, but then again it may not.
There isn't a whole lot than can go wrong with a bit of tristy coily metal.
Well, yes, it can snap.
But unlikly, !

I know a few people have put aftermarket springs on from here and there, but before I set off for Cape Town,
I will just shoot into Toyota and order 4 new springs, and 4 new shocks.
All standard.
I  just put the trust in originals, heard a few suspect stories about other peoples springs not quite being as long a lasting as they were hoping for.
Graham
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 13:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses, folks - think I'll do a bit more scratching and see what I can find - no rush on this (yet  Laughing )

I'll definitely give Paul a ring, Jojo - thanks.

Cheers
Pambs

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 15:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

found this old thread and want to ask soemthing.

i'm consider byying a second hand lc3 or 5. is it worth it spending the extra cash for the air suspension since i will remove it for OME. i mean the other differences are minor right

bluetooth and navigation? is there something more?
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 16:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

It took me ages to realise that I should really have bought an LC4 for anything other than on0road use.  The LC5 is very luxurious, but the electronic supension (TEMS) and air-bags are an absolute PITA!

You cannot replace the airbags.

Well - yes you can, but you need to find someone to weld on coil spring mounts to the rear axle and the chassis, as there are none.

You also need to get rid of the TEMS shocks, then convince the vehicle that they are still there so that it doesn't go into 'limp home mode' thinking the suspension is knackered.

Julian is in touch with folk in Oz who will modify the LC5 suspension, but you keep the airbags, lose the shocks and tweak the ECU into lifting the car at the rear.  Youa lso add new springs up front.

Other major differfence between the LC3 and LC4 / LC5 is that the LC3 has a rear locker on teh diff, the 4 and 5 use electrickery on the brakes to give you traction control.  Seems to work quite well, from my own limited experience.

The LC3 also has the spare on the rear door, while the 4 had it as an option of door or underslung, while the LC5 has it underslung only - a pain for off-road stuff.

The LC5 motor supposedly puts out a bit more oomph but that is minimal - about 6hp more or something.  Torque is the same.

Depending on the year model there is or isn't :
bluetooth
parking sensors
some other bits on the LC5

The LC5 has different satnav I think?

LC5 has different audio system too. (whoopee!)

Also (from Toyota):

GRADES
LC3   LC4   LC5

Delivering assured control both on and off the road, the LC3 has standard features including:
Dual zone climate control air conditioning
ABS - Electronically controlled with Electronic Brake Force Distribution
Brake Assist System
8 Airbags
3-point seatbelts - all seats with Emergency Locking Retractor
Central double locking with remote activation
transponder key engine immobiliser
Integrated CD/radio with 6 speakers
17-inch alloy wheels with locking wheelnuts
Colour keyed wheel arch extensions
Colour keyed retractable heated side mirrors
Front and rear fog lamps
Roof rails

Several high tech features added to the LC3 brings out the supreme LC4 that impress from every angle.
Features included are:
Vehicle Stability Control (VSC)
Active Traction control (A-TRC)
Downhill Assist Control (DAC), on Automatic only
Hill-start Assist Control (HAC), on Automatic only
Satellite Navigation System with UK DVD ROM Turn-by-Turn
Electrically adjustable and heated front seats
Sunroof - electric tilt/slide with shade, one touch anti-trap key off function
Cruise control
Optitron instruments
Leather steering wheel, gear knob and seats
Hard spare wheel cover

The stylish top-of-the-range LC5 oozes sophistication, quality and technology. In addition to the impressive LC4 specifications comes:
TEMS, Toyota Electronically Modulated Suspension (automatically adjusts shock absorber settings according to driving conditions)
Full colour, voice activated satellite navigation system with European DVD and Electronic Traffic Avoidance
Radio / cassette / 6 CD auto changer with nine speakers
Air conditioning system - dual zone climate control with front & rear temperature controls
Rear heater with separate control system
Under-slung spare wheel

HTH.  I wouldn't go for the LC5 if you are planning on doing anything extreme in it (and uprating the suspension may be considered extreme  Laughing ) unless you're prepared to go the route of swapping out the rear axle, doing some welding, or getting Julian to do the suspension mod for you (which seems to be the way to go).  Other than that it's a great vehicle.  The airbags do give you the added benefit of lifting the rear by about 1.5 inches when you're going slowly enough (under about 45 kph) allowing you a bit better clearance over obstacles  Laughing
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 16:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the LC3. It was fine. OK snat snav would have been nice, but I put a system in with a reversing camera and dvd etc. It had a rear locker yes. Never missed leather and tricky suspenders. Underbody protection was rubbish and there are still bits of it up in Scotland as we speak. No shortage of grunters and torques. Auto luvverly.

I admire the way that you chuck yours in, but I have never been convinced that Mr T ever though that anyone would REALLY do that to an LCV.

Hey, this weekend project is one of these:

Do your Wurst. Get it, Wurst? No? Oh well.

LC
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 16:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing  Laughing   Funny boy!!

See if you can build it without the x-member at the bottom of the legs - takes less room, and is better on not-so-flat ground - and you can dig the legs in a bit too.  We had a similar one that slotted in under the roof rack on 'L' slides (your next project  Laughing  Laughing ) and was absolutely fantastic - easy to access and kept any muck out the vehicle (you just had to beware the hyena's sniffing around the vehicle at night - but at least it didn't get carried off into the bush  Wink )

And it's WORS, not kak-wurst  Laughing

I'm planning on TRYING to get Julian to do the suspension prior to Elcomb - let's see what happens  Razz
Pambs

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

LC did you sell your LC3 and got a 90 series back?

by the way are these grades anywhere written on the car? i'm interested in a car that's a bit far from me so i'm trying to gather all the info prior to visiting

also is there a writeup on what to look on the 120 series before buying uses?

my wories is that the 90 series is a very low maintainance car (apart from petrol) just change oils and service. i have a 96 model i got it 2 years ago and i'm the 3rd owner but i never had any issues with it. I want to get the 120 cause it looks nicer interior and exterior etc
Crispin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I may add my 2p worth:

Try go for auto and not manual. I have a manual and to be honest, do not like the manual. In (london) traffic you are constantly stirring the gearbox. I wanted an auto but could not find one in time / price. The manual 'box is nice and light / easy to change just not great in traffic.
Engine either seems to low for to pull or to excited and a bit like a jack rabbit (2.5 ton jack rabit mind you)

People rave about the auto 'box.

All in all, I still love the thing.
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes - the grade of vehicle is in the cubby hole  Shocked

Open the cubby hole door / lid / whatever you call it, and at the top left corner of trhe cubby hole is the grade - LC3 / LC4 / LC5.  I think the Invincible (LC5 replacement) just has it on the back door - show-off  Laughing

I have an auto, and was very sceptical initially, but it's a dream to drive, and really great off-road (it is ALWAYS in the right gear at the right time, unless you lock it into where it can't move from, e.g. L2 etc.!)

Cheers
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 19:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, the LC3 was a company car. I knocked bits off it and they suggested that perhaps next time I had something different. I had an Avensis and bought my own toy.

Gary, here in England we call it da glove box. Where you put your gloves in SA is your business, but here we put them tidily in the glove box along with our thermos flask and cucumber sandwiches. Laughing  Laughing

Ah, you know I is just kidding.

LC
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 20:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

That reminds me of the story of the mommy lioness and her cubs - oh, never mind - that'll be one for the fire at Lincomb  Wink  Laughing
Pambs

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 16:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Landcrusher wrote:
No, the LC3 was a company car. I knocked bits off it and they suggested that perhaps next time I had something different. I had an Avensis and bought my own toy.

Gary, here in England we call it da glove box. Where you put your gloves in SA is your business, but here we put them tidily in the glove box along with our thermos flask and cucumber sandwiches. Laughing  Laughing

Ah, you know I is just kidding.

LC

thanks, i was thinking whats the cuby hole since last night  Laughing afraid to ask a probably silly question  Laughing
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 17:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

See what happens when you let us colonials back, hey  Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: