Milner Off-Road

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Dobson springs and shocks ?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 80 Series Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grimbo
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 19:43    Post subject: Dobson springs and shocks ? Reply with quote

Anyone ever fitted or used Dobson Springs and shocks ? Frogs Island sell them, much cheaper than OME, I think they may also be branded as Teraflex. 4 springs and shocks come out at around £350 + vat as opposed to £550 ish + for OME. Cost isn't realy an issue if OME are miles better, I don't plan on changing them again in the near future so want to get it right the first time. 50mm of lift is all I need and don't plan on fitting winches etc so only need around standard spring rate. Ride quality is however very important both on the tarmac and unmade roads and corrigated tracks. Plan on some trips to Europe in the Alps and similar areas, and some of the Spanish mountains. Nothing as adventuras as many of you on here, time and funds prevent any longer trips, any feed back much appreciated.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 19:43    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

paulh

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 22:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, my cardboard box from Frogs arrived at home today, apparently.  I think they're Dobinson's, branded as Terrafirma.  I went for the 'medium' springs, even though the car is standard, but Mr Voelcker seems to think that the Terrafirma stuff is softer than OME, so it might just work with the petrol engine and all.

I'll let you know how I've got on next week after the no doubt knuckle-skinning, nut-rounding, tool-losing adventure that awaits me at the weekend. (Not helped by the fact that the old International's in the workshop waiting for yet another new steering ram, so I'll have to do it outside.  Sad )

Paul
Grimbo
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 23:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

574, 674, ? leaking round the end where the clevis block screws on ? look forwards to hearing the result of fitting your suspension and first driving impresions .
paulh

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 0:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

674.  Why they didn't give them some sort of mechanical assistance is beyond me.  You wouldn't mind, but the buggers always break in the same place.  Obviously not made by Mr Toyjo.

Cheers

Paul
Grimbo
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 20:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Off topic but.... Loctite the clevis to the piston shaft, often the reason they break is the clevis comes slightly loose and the flexes the end of the threaded bit, pattern bits are available. Rest of the tractor is nearly bomb proof if you ignore the tendancy to get stuck in gear when the linkage gets worn, now the 1056 and 1255 classics  Cool
paulh

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Off topic but.... Loctite my *beep*.  We weld stuff in my world, but the old x74 tractors just have *beep* design.  We,ll fix it though...

Hmmm, fitting a lift to your Landcruiser.  Well:

DON'T try this if you feel like shit. (Man Flu)
DO go and buy some 'Turbo Sockets', or something similar. Those bolts on the rear shock plates WILL round off.
ACCEPT that all you can do in a weeekend is new shocks - *beep* the springs.

Oh, the joys of being an amateur mechanic...
paulh

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meant to say, the 'Terrafirma' kit definitely gets you Dobinsons' springs, no attempt at cross-branding. but the shocks are 'No Name.
bradderz

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 15:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grimbo,
About two months ago I  fitted the FrogsIsland "Terrafirma" 50mm suspension kit (spings and shocks). Can't comment on the comparison with OME, but I would suggest you get what you pay for. However the initial experiences are good. The Terrafirma kit comes in three weight options, soft, medium or heavy. I would guess that the equipment is a little softer than OME as Julian says, so go for either medium or heavy, dependant on what you are carrying upfront or towing.
I have a heavy winch bumper and winch, so went for mediums on the rear heavies on the front. I believe that 80's seem to run a little nose down anyway so harder on the front is a must I would say. The ride is definately not too harsh with this set up and quite nice on the road.
A must is a set of caster correction bushes. I drove for a while to see what it was like but now I've done the bushes, the difference is quite significant.
Taking the suspension arms off to do the bushes was surprisingly easy, but pressing the old bushes out and the new ones back in is another matter.
Fortunatley my neighbour is gun smith and an expert on machining. He turned a pressing tool out of a solid 60mm round bar, marking a resses in the bottom so all the pressure goes to the outside edge of the bushes. An hour or so to make the tool, but then only took ten mins to press them out and the new ones in (obviously using the pattern supplied to get them aligned spot on), oh and with the use of a 20 ton press.
I recall someone else, advising to use a winch strap to pull the axle back, to align the holes up, when refitting the arms. I chocked the front wheels, them in low range, drove very slighly forward (helps if you have a mate or a mirror to see when to stop).
Good luck
Roger
Grimbo
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 22:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paulh , did you fit the springs yet ? results ? ie whats the ride like now? or are you still welding up old IH tractors?  Smile
gilghana

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 21:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can only comment on the springs, but Dobinsons are good stuff - in no way are they a cheap version of OME - just not as well marketed!  They are made in Oz  whereas I believe that most OME components are made in Malaysia.  Not saying OME are not good - but Dobinsons are not some cheaper version...  Have owned both.  Dobinsons I have not had for long, but at least I do not have the leaning problems that I did with OME.  
Gil
jvoelcker

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 23:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

gilghana wrote:
Dobinsons I have not had for long, but at least I do not have the leaning problems that I did with OME.

You are aware that the OME's are longer on one side than the other by about half an inch to counter the camber found on many of the Aussie roads.

They should be fitted in Aus with the longer spring on the passenger side which is generally on the down slope  of  the camber  so it  levels the truck out.

You can get standard packers to negate the  'counter camber' feature, but few people bother.

Over here for most trucks going around the UK, Europe and North Africa, I tend to fit the longer springs on the driver's side, contrary to the standard instructions so that it levels a bit when just the driver in the car and also it helps with the camber  on roads in Europe and N. Africa.

The springs on my truck were on when I got it and they have been put on Aussie style with the longest springs on the passenger side - driving down some of the heavily cambered roads in Morocco felt very  lop sides - one day I'll get round to swapping them around.

Julian
1994 HDJ80, with loads of mods without looking too obscene Smile
1997 KZJ95 - Gilly's - plain black and muddy on BFG ATs.
gilghana

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 20:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, thanks Julian.  I never knew about that, knew about springs being 'handed' but not that OME particular issue. however:  The lean I was talking about was LHD Defender - put the longest springs in the left thinking battery/driver etc is on that side.  Vehicle leaned badly to the left.  I got our mechanics (couldn't face any more spring swapping so soon after) to swap over spring sides and it still leaned.  Having said that so do most of the cruisers I have seen...  Dobinsons on my 78 - higher spring went on drivers side (rear leaf).  Front coils I could see no discernible height diff.  Car does not lean......  The leaning was never an issue for me, could have sorted it with some packing (we use conveyor belting) but never bothered.
Gil
paulh

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 0:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I've not been around to tell you about the springs/shocks saga, but the flu was worse than expected, in fact it transmogrified into Scarlet Fever.  I won't go into the details, but my advice would be to avoid it at all costs.

I hope to change the springs and front shocks out this weekend, although staying in bed, again, seems like a good alternative option.  However, we've booked an apartment in Berchtesgaden for Christmas week, which I'm loathe to forego, so I need to sort out the shocks at least.

The tang (flange, flat bit) broke off when I tried to get the LH front shock off last time, so I've invested in a big nut splitter to get them off.  I'm planning to split all top and bottom nuts and be done with it.  I've arranged to rent some spring compressors from SHC to make the job easier, so hopefully I'll be able to report on the Dobinsons springs next week.

The car's running like a dog, won't accelerate unless you give it full throttle, so I'm assuming (based on the totally unscientific evidence that I had an FJ55 that displayed exactly the same symptoms 15 years ago) that the fuel filter's clogged, so I'll be changing that before we head for Bavaria.

Will keep you posted. (Unless wife decides to keep me at home and not jeopardise trip to Germany - but either I fix LC or we take her Impreza, on summer tyres.)

Paul
jvoelcker

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

paulh wrote:
The tang (flange, flat bit) broke off when I tried to get the LH front shock off last time, so I've invested in a big nut splitter to get them off.  I'm planning to split all top and bottom nuts and be done with it.  I've arranged to rent some spring compressors from SHC to make the job easier, so hopefully I'll be able to report on the Dobinsons springs next week.

Do you have access to a decent air gun?  I've not found a front shock yet that I can't get off with an air gun and some WD40, although you may need some stilsons to hold the shock to stop it spinning.

Julian
1994 HDJ80, with loads of mods without looking too obscene Smile
1997 KZJ95 - Gilly's - plain black and muddy on BFG ATs.
paulh

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 20:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, el Dobbo's are finally on!

Car looks a bit like a 60's dragster, with its tail in the air, but hopefully the LPG tanks will bring that down a bit.

Steering seems okay so far, but I've only done about 6 miles since tightening everything up, so I'll let you know if the caster is a problem over time.

I've got to take it to Coventry (from Yorks) on Monday for the week, so will report on handling, etc, next weekend. (Unless I've crashed!)

Cheers

Paul
________
1996 FZJ80
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 80 Series Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: