NFU Mutual - click to link

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

some 100 series questions

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 100 Series / Amazon Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hodgy0_2

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 23:15    Post subject: some 100 series questions Reply with quote

looking to upgrade from an 80 to a 100 series

most 100s say 7 seater -- can you fit the 8th seatbelt in the rear (believe it or not i often need it)

does the 100 have elockers (diff locks)  on the front and rear axle's

what are the major weaknesses to look out for -- (like electric windows are on the 80 - and the BEB problem)

is the active suspension reliable -- can it be retro converted to a conventional springs dampers etc

thanks guys

James
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 23:15    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

suvsteve
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 15:20    Post subject: 100 Reply with quote

hi mate i think the best guy to ask is our duel fuel man wandering willy as he owns a 100 i personaly think the 80 is a bit more robust than the 100 tho i do like the 100 and the look of the 100 from wot i can tell talking to willy the early 100 base models would be a better option as they have less to go wrong and the newer autos have a sealed gear box so you cant change the oil an so on

so willy over to you mate Very Happy  Very Happy

you have only one life, enjoy.
Wandering Willy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 17:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi James

As Steve says, the 100 is a different sort of car from the 80. In Australia there are a lot of 105s which has a very similar chassis to the 80 but the body from the 100. However, they don't (didn't) sell them in the UK so we only have the 100 with the independent front suspension.

Now, the 100 has a couple of variations. I have a GX model diesel automatic. This has diff locks on the transfer box and rear axle. I believe that you can fit a locking unit to the front axle but that would be quite unusual. This would be a non-Toyota part possibly using compressed air to operate it so a compressor would be required. You can also fit air operated locker to the rear axle and some of the serious off-roaders prefer this to the electric units used by Toyota.

The GX model doesn't have the self leveling suspension or the sunroof or the electric steering wheel. This means a more basic car but less potential problems. So you would have the conventional suspension with dampers on this model. It's the VX which gets all the bells and whistles. There aren't a lot of GXs in the UK but there are a few.

Then you move on to the petrol engined 100s. These have a 4.7 litre V8 engine and a different system for the diffs from the diesel cars. As I understand it, they use the ABS to control wheel spin. The rear axle may have a limited slip differential as well but not the locking diff.

A further complication is that the second user imports are often equipped like the petrol engined cars even if they are diesel. You have to check carefully with these.

Regarding the third row of seats. They are two seats which mount separately. You might be able to fit a centre seatbelt but it would probably only be a lap belt. I had a Previa with this arrangement giving 8 seats. But the middle passenger wouldn't be as secure as his neighbours if you follow me.

As for weaknesses, the only one I have heard of (with the GX) is that the mounting points for the torsion bar spring which holds up the front end (there is one on each lower wishbone) is that with hard use the wishbone can split or the fixing on the non-moving end can fail where it meets the end of the torsion bar. It the same arrangment as was used on the old Morris Minor in the 1950s and early 60s in case you are familiar with that car. However, failures are only with hard off-road use - it's not a common problem. You can get stiffer springs (bars) and stronger fixings plates plus reinforcing pieces for the wishbones but they come from Australia so they are a bit harder to find here.

The independent front suspension complicates the process of raising the suspension because you need to lower the front diff if you jack the front end up. The back just needs longer springer and dampers. The front dampers are a standard design.

A small point is that I was surprised by the amount of rust under the back end of my car when I got it. It was 5 years old with 58,000 miles. The lining to the rear bumper was pretty rusty (perhaps 3 more years life before the metal began to fall apart). The spare wheel carrier is fairly thick metal but was also quite corroded as were some corners of the floor pan behind the back wheels. So, I spent a few happy hours painting everything with primer and hammerite back in the summer of 2007. It's easier to do that than to replace the rusty metal later and painting it gave me a good feeling!

The diesel engine follows on with pretty much the same design as the later 24V engine from the 80. There is an ECU which manages the injection pump but it's not a common rail diesel (like the D4D). The new V8 diesel in the 200 series is a common rail engine.

The petrol engine is shorter and wider than the diesel being a V8 rather than a straight six so there are a few access problems (like needing to take the rad out to change the timing chain) but these are not big differences. I understand that the petrol cars are all automatic. There are some manual diesels but the automatic is pretty good. My car is an early 2002 with the 4 speed automatic which has a drain port for the fluid but the later 5 speed box doesn't which may be a worry later.

The fuel consumption on my diesel is about 24mpg if I don't use the air conditioning when it drops to around 21. I understand this is a typical figure for the model. It's not as good as the 80. I had my car weighed a while ago and it was 2.9 tons with me and the missus in it plus a few tools (nothing heavy). My car has the standard Toyota tow bar which is pretty heavy (80 - 100kg?). But its a pretty heavy outfit which probably accounts for the fuel consumption.

So, that's my thoughts. if you have any other queries, just ask and I will try to help. Needless to say, I am pretty happy with my car and wouldn't change it for anything else I can think of.

Willy
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 19:01    Post subject: Re: some 100 series questions Reply with quote

hodgy0_2 wrote:
looking to upgrade from an 80 to a 100 series

most 100s say 7 seater -- can you fit the 8th seatbelt in the rear (believe it or not i often need it)

does the 100 have elockers (diff locks)  on the front and rear axle's

what are the major weaknesses to look out for -- (like electric windows are on the 80 - and the BEB problem)

is the active suspension reliable -- can it be retro converted to a conventional springs dampers etc

thanks guys

James

I have an 01 UK petrol VX.

Mine only came with one 3rd row seat which is fine with me because I rarely used them in an 80 but I'd assumed they had the same lap belt arrangement as an 80 ... If I get chance I'll look at the seat I have to see if it has half a belt arrangment. The middle seat on the 2nd row does get a shoulder belt though which is a big improvement and it's a bit easier to fit 3 people across with the extra width.

In the vehicles that have it you should check if the electric steering column adjusts ok (easily fixed if not but budget for it) and that the AHC works (more expensive to fix) - does it ride ok and does it go up and down ok. You do have the option of converting an AHC car to conventional springs but I love my AHC and already have a new set of OEM actuators, torsion bars and springs ready for when they need changing rather than even thinking about removing it. The low height position is great for making it a bit easier to squeeze out of the car in tight spaces and the raised height position is good for the safari park and hitching the caravan when the jockey wheel won't go low enough Laughing

I've given the A-TRAC a few excuses to kick in now and it works extremely well, but it hasn't gone head to head with a locked vehicle yet. On wet grass and in mud over firm ground (with road tyres) I can plant the throttle in low and the pickup is very impressive for such low traction surfaces. For my needs as a general purpose family hauler I'd choose A-TRAC over locking diffs because it can do things lockers can't like maintain full turning circle and maximum traction, and it 'just works' if my wife is driving it.

I'll keep my 80 for now for the more hard core playing but I've come close to abandoning it and just having the 100 to play in  Rolling Eyes

01 UZJ100 lifted (AHC & 40mm BL), ARB locked f&r, cryo'd 4.88's, TJM front bumper, 12k goldfish, sliders, rack, snorkel, 35's, storage, aux power etc.
93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
hodgy0_2

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 19:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys

many many thanks -- as ever this forum never disappoints (best car forum on the net IMHO)

I think I have done a deal on a W reg VX 4.2TD

150K -- bit more than I was hoping

first impressions were a much more civilised ride - quiter too

hopefully it will go OK -- and I dont regret selling the 80

i'll keep you posted

just one thing -- are you saying that the 2nd row has shoulder seatbelts instead of the lapbelt as in the 80

oh and also the active suspension -- does the car lower itself at speed -- like the RR

oh quick should it go up and down and do all the doors need to be closed for it to operate -- when stationary off course

also clocked the posts re the adjustable steering column -- seems to be a weakness
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 0:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

hodgy0_2 wrote:
just one thing -- are you saying that the 2nd row has shoulder seatbelts instead of the lapbelt as in the 80
Yes, or at least mine does.

hodgy0_2 wrote:
oh and also the active suspension -- does the car lower itself at speed -- like the RR
AFAIK no. If you have it on the high setting and go above about 15mph (or somewhere around that) it will lower to the normal ride height. Can't say as I've noticed it dropping further at high speed.

hodgy0_2 wrote:
oh quick should it go up and down and do all the doors need to be closed for it to operate

Takes a few seconds to move between positions on mine and all the doors must be shut. You can be moving when going normal to high and back to normal but with the speed limitation mentioned above. I'm getting an electronic suspension lock from Slee so I can lock it in the high position on the days when I want bigger than 33" tyres on it  Laughing

01 UZJ100 lifted (AHC & 40mm BL), ARB locked f&r, cryo'd 4.88's, TJM front bumper, 12k goldfish, sliders, rack, snorkel, 35's, storage, aux power etc.
93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
hodgy0_2

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 0:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting

wonder if it would be possible to lock it in the low setting for motorway cruising

the range rovers do -- and it does make a difference to MPG aswell as stbility

on that note -- saw a frightening report on Fith Gear re hi speed manouvers in 4X4's
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 0:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

hodgy0_2 wrote:
interesting

wonder if it would be possible to lock it in the low setting for motorway cruising

the range rovers do -- and it does make a difference to MPG aswell as stbility

on that note -- saw a frightening report on Fith Gear re hi speed manouvers in 4X4's
I think the OEM low position is on or very close to the bump stops so not much use for driving on. You could switch some resistors into the height sensor circuits to make the normal ride height a bit lower and you could use a micro controller to automate that but I think you'd need to have a good look at how much up travel that left you with. At least with the AHC package you can put it into 'sport' mode and it does have a big effect on stability in high speed manouvers. That's another thing I like about the AHC package - choosing your suspension damping dependent on your needs instead of having a fixed compromise.

93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
hodgy0_2

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah OK -- didnt see the sport mode (was quite a rushed first look -- in the dark Surprised )

seem to be so many gizmos's

so the sport mode stiffens it all up -- cool

Once again Thxs
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just checked the one 3rd row seat I have (drivers side) and as far as I could see there's neither end of a belt for the middle seat.

93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
hodgy0_2

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes thanks Wildsmith -- as i thought -- its the same as tyhe one i was looking at

only two

but I,m sure I have seen 100 series advertsied as 8 seaters -- maybe it was a factory option -- or i coul retro fit one
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 13:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I've seen them advertised as 8 seater as well so at worst you need different back seats. It may be the lap belt was / is hidden somewhere I didn't spot on my single seat.

93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
Nor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 20:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no problem fitting an eighth seat belt, as long as it is a lap belt only.
I think the problem is the EU regulations demanding a head rest and a three point belt for all.
hodgy0_2

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 21:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nor

thanks for that -- so I could fit a lapbelt -- thats fine as it will be no worse than the 80 I have at the moment
100rob
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 22:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys, regarding the lap belt in the rear does anyone know what exactly is needed and if the anchoring points are already in place?  The 8th seat would sure come in useful!!  Hodgy, I hope you enjoy your Landcruiser, I can't imagine being without mine, It's morphed into a part of me!!!!!!

Rob
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 100 Series / Amazon Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: