Atlas Overland Adventure Tours

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Wrong quantity of automatic transmission fluid?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 100 Series / Amazon Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tom.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 23:29    Post subject: Wrong quantity of automatic transmission fluid? Reply with quote

Hi,
I have changed automatic transmission fluid some time ago but checking I have done when the engine was off  (should be on). So I did 200 miles with about 1 liter fluid less in system. Transmission is working fine but could it caused any damage which which will comes out in  the future?
tom.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 23:29    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

jvoelcker

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

The capacities are judged on the basis of allowing for some loss so you should be OK.

Julian
1994 HDJ80, with loads of mods without looking too obscene Smile
1997 KZJ95 - Gilly's - plain black and muddy on BFG ATs.
tom.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 23:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks

I hope everything will be ok. But I have got a problem with measure method. Does anyone know how to check quantity of AT fluid properly? When I do measure it there is a different indication every time. There is, as well, a different indication on both sides of the dipstick and I do not know which one is correct. Is it better to measure when engine is cold or hot, what should be gearbox set to P or N?

Cheers
bushburywolf
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 15:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

i always check when hot..the top mark is the one for hot check
tom.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 21:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks

When I do measure it there is a different indication on both sides of the dipstick and I do not know which one is correct.

Cheers
andy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 23:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Checking Automatic Transmission Fluid

Question
How do I check my vehicle's Automatic Transmission Fluid?

Answer
CHECKING AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUID LEVEL

TOOLS AND SUPPLIES:

Automatic Transmission fluid
Rag or paper towels
Funnel

INSTRUCTIONS:

Check the fluid level when the transmission is hot (normal operating temperature).
If the vehicle has been driven over 10 miles or 16 km (15 miles or 24 km in frigid temperatures) and the fluid temperature is 160-175 degrees F, 70-80 degrees C, the transmission is hot.

If the vehicle has just been driven for a long time at high speed or in city traffic in hot weather, or if the vehicle has been pulling a trailer, an accurate fluid level cannot be obtained. Check the level after the fluid has cooled down (about 30 minutes).
You may check the level when the transmission is cold. If the vehicle has not been driven for over five hours and the fluid is about room temperature 70-85 degrees F, 20-30 degrees C, the transmission is cold. However, checking a cold transmission is to be used for your reference only and the transmission must be checked again for correct level at normal operating temperature.

Step-by-step procedures.
With the vehicle level, first set the parking brake and then start the engine.
While the engine is idling, depress the brake pedal and shift the selector lever into each range from "P" to "L" and return to "P".
With the engine still idling, check the fluid level and condition on the automatic transmission fluid dipstick.
Pull out the dipstick and wipe it clean with a rag (be careful, fluid is hot).
Reinsert the dipstick -- push it in as far as it will go.
Pull the dipstick out and look at the fluid level. If the transmission is hot, the fluid level should be in the "HOT" range on the dipstick. Similarly, if it is cold, the level should be in the "COOL" range.
While checking the fluid level, also check the condition. If the fluid is black or if it smells burnt, have it changed.
CAUTION: Moving parts like the fan blade and drive belts, as well as extreme heat in the engine compartment or from the exhaust system, can result in serious injury.

Approach with caution and care.
Never take short cuts.
Improper servicing may damage your Toyota and lead to personal injury.
Unless you have the proper knowledge, equipment and tools, have your local Toyota dealership perform the repairs and maintenance.
If the level is low, add the appropriate automatic transmission fluid for your vehicle.

If the level is at the low side of either range, add the appropriate automatic transmission fluid for your vehicle to bring the level within the range. (Fluid is added through the dipstick tube, using a funnel.)

NOTE: Avoid overfilling, or the transmission could be damaged.
Mercedes Sprinter 311 Luton
1993 VX80 4.2td SOLD
1996 Hilux Surf SSR-G Intercooler Sold
1994 Hilux Surf SSR-V Sold
tom.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 100 Series / Amazon Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: