All Wheel Drive Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Can the Torque Converter be changed under Warranty?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 100 Series / Amazon Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
toxicfrog

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 16:51    Post subject: Can the Torque Converter be changed under Warranty? Reply with quote

I previously had a 1999 Landcruiser Amazon where the TC was playing up.  I changed it myself for a refurbished one and as a result of this forum and a previous post have done 3 others on other peoples cars.

Ive changed the car now for a 2000 model 70k 1 owner with full toyota history as a mate of a mate has emigrated.

This car also has the Torque Converter problem, and I was wondering if it was worth trying to get it changed at Toyota under the recall/warranty.  I understand there was a recall on them, and this car has been serviced at the supplying dealer every year since new.

Worth a try or waste of time?

Cheers.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 16:51    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Grimbo
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 18:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worth a go, but don't hold your breath. It may have been a "fix as fail" type recall, these tend to have a cut off date. Be polite but persistant , try contacting Toyota GB .
Good Luck.
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 18:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the symptoms? I've heard of it but I don't think I've read a description from someone suffering it. I've got a June 01 that seems fine but obviously this is something I need to keep an eye on.

01 UZJ100 lifted (AHC & 40mm BL), ARB locked f&r, cryo'd 4.88's, TJM front bumper, 12k goldfish, sliders, rack, snorkel, 35's, storage, aux power etc.
93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
toxicfrog

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 20:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a well documented problem where the car will judder as you decelerate, almost coming to a stop.  Ive replaced a few of them but as the new car Ive just bought has only done 70k and been serviced every year with the supplying dealer I thought it worth a try trying to get it done with Toyota under warranty/recall.
toxicfrog

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 20:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

wildsmith wrote:
What are the symptoms? I've heard of it but I don't think I've read a description from someone suffering it. I've got a June 01 that seems fine but obviously this is something I need to keep an eye on.

Its a well documented problem where the car will judder as you decelerate, almost coming to a stop.  The engine wants to stall as the TC doesnt release the gear into neutral in time.  Its akin to coming up to a junction in a manual car and not putting your foot on the clutch until the engine starts to want to stall. Ive replaced a few of them but as the new car Ive just bought has only done 70k and been serviced every year with the supplying dealer I thought it worth a try trying to get it done with Toyota under warranty/recall.

The problem was rectified with a modified converter from may 01 onwards.  Plenty about it on these forums.
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 21:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

toxicfrog wrote:
The problem was rectified with a modified converter from may 01 onwards.  Plenty about it on these forums.
I may just have got away with it then on a june 01 manufacture date which would be nice because changing the TC on my 80 was no fun.

01 UZJ100 lifted (AHC & 40mm BL), ARB locked f&r, cryo'd 4.88's, TJM front bumper, 12k goldfish, sliders, rack, snorkel, 35's, storage, aux power etc.
93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
carmellajade

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again,

on driving our precious baby home last night after we purchased it...we had this problem!!!
Whats the worst that can happen if you continue to drive it like this, is it costly to get done?

It looks like its a fairly common problem on these so we're are not overly concerned but it would be nice if someone could post the links to any other messages relating to this problem and also how to rectify so that we can have a read!

many thanks
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 0:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I've read here and on ih8mud.com, if you have the torque converter judder problem the worst that can happen is you need a new or rebuilt gearbox as well as a new or rebuilt torque converter, which is a lot more money! It's hard to say how likely that is but the further you drive it in that condition the more metal you're putting into the gearbox from the TC which can only be a bad thing. I would park it up while you consider your options like returning it to the seller?

93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
GBLandcruiser

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:22    Post subject: TC problem Reply with quote

Hi, I have just joined the club and reading through the tech. stuff have discovered I need to replace the torque converter. Can anyone tell me the approx cost of replacing it and were can I get a recon. unit from. I don't fancy doing it myself can anyone recommend someone, I am in Oxfordshire between Oxford and Swindon. Gordon
Bearcat

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 21:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, new member.....Have a 05 Amazon and my mechanic tells me circa 80k all torque converters go....she'll slip in top gear. It is a gear box rebuild and a 3k job over here.

Looking at a jap 01 model, as a 2nd  one. Have found the amazons boringly reliable and would drive nothing else. Had range r's, the works and the only one that has worked like a clock is the toyota.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 100 Series / Amazon Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: