Milner Off-Road

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

1998 Amazon 4.7 VX suspension worries

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 100 Series / Amazon Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ricouk

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 18:54    Post subject: 1998 Amazon 4.7 VX suspension worries Reply with quote

Hi all,

I have an Amazon VX with the V8 4.7 2UZ-FE engine with 185K on the clock and a full Toyota history.

Recently, the car has become quite "bouncy" whilst driving it. Ordinarily, I'd look at getting the shock absorbers replaced. I went to check the shockers for any obvious leaks and couldn't find them! I have the adjustable ride height and ride firmness controls so I'm guessing there's a lot of electronic trickery hidden away that goes beyond my experience. I also have a sneaking suspicion that this means EXPENSIVE as well  Sad

Has anybody had anything similar? What was the casue? What was the repair bill?

If anyone has any advice or ideas, please feel free to contribute as all useful information is most welcome.

Thanks,

Ricouk
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 18:54    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

hodgy0_2

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 20:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

i trust you've trawled thru this

http://www.tlocuk.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=749

not uncommon and at 10 years old with that many miles you've prob done quite well
ricouk

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 20:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the post.

I did skim this but didn't think it was me as the height adjust goes up and down as I would expect. It's just that the ride is very bouncy - like being on a boat sometimes.
Grimbo
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 22:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have two seerate issue's , yours sounds like suspension sphere's rather than ride hight issues. Search suspension sphere's on the forum  Crying or Very sad .
jvoelcker

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 23:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some or all of your sphere's on the suspension have gone.

I fixed Tom's the other day, the most likely cause was a mix of windscreen washer fluid (most likely by mistake) and brake fluid (most likely because they didn't know better) being put into the reservoir.

The sphere's are £2k + plus through UK dealers, but we can get them from abroad for around £650 depending on the exchange rate and then the chances are that the reservoir will need to be cleaned out and the old fluid flushed out of the system.

Julian
1994 HDJ80, with loads of mods without looking too obscene Smile
1997 KZJ95 - Gilly's - plain black and muddy on BFG ATs.
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be worth mentioning that the spheres Julian is refering to from abroad are genuine Toyota parts just from a cheaper source than UK dealers or e bay. I got springs and t bars while I was at it for mine so when it plays up I should get it back to a factory ride.

01 UZJ100 lifted (AHC & 40mm BL), ARB locked f&r, cryo'd 4.88's, TJM front bumper, 12k goldfish, sliders, rack, snorkel, 35's, storage, aux power etc.
93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
Nor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 20:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a simple procedure to check the state of your gas spheres. Have a look here, at post no 32  
http://forum.ih8mud.com/100-series-cruisers/60619-changing-out-ahc-suspension-fluid.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 100 Series / Amazon Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: