All Wheel Drive Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Africa Trip - which landcruiser

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> General non-technical Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
waverider

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:06    Post subject: Africa Trip - which landcruiser Reply with quote

Hi, I have a friend looking for a landcruiser for an Africa trip. I think the budget will be max 10,000 pounds. What is the best landcruiser here in the uk?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:06    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

jvoelcker

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

THeir best option is an 80 series, either automatic or manual (down to personal choice) - if they are careful, they should be able to pick one up in reasonable condition for £3-4,000 leaving plenty left over to get it fully serviced and prepared.

Julian
1994 HDJ80, with loads of mods without looking too obscene Smile
1997 KZJ95 - Gilly's - plain black and muddy on BFG ATs.
ChrisC

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 16:19    Post subject: Which Cruiser Reply with quote

Best option from Cruisers available here in the Uk is an 80 series - available from 91 H/J plate through to 98 R/S plate, they come in manual or Auto, although Auto onnly available on UK trucks up to 95 - due to emissions.

Personal opinion, gained from experience of trips in Africa, Europe and Mid East, is that manual is better - less hassle, and you can puch/jump start a manual.

They are fitted with a 4.2 litre, straight six, Turbo diesel engine which if looked after will last for ever, so are pretty damn reliable.
They are very capable and more than comfortable enough.

Mechanical: full round of servicing and maintenance - required/recommended - contact Julian Voelcker the previous respondent at: www.overland-cruisers.co.uk

Julian is the UK's LC mech Guru!

Then depending on when and for how long they are going for some or all of the following

Prep/Kitting out; new/uprated springs and shocks - poss OME, AT or MT tyres, roof rack, roof tent or ground tent, h/d rear bumper and/or spare wheel carrier, storage/racking system, cargo/load guard, bull bar, rock sliders, long rang fuel tank, underbody protection, etc, etc

Feel free to contact - pm, email or phone for a chat and advice

Chris
07812 344740
Wicus

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 22:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,  I am planning a similar trip from Kenya to Cape Town and I'm looking for the best vehicle to buy.  

I have heard that the Land Rover Defender and Toyota Land Cruiser 70 series are the best vehicles for hard core overlanding because of solid front and rear axels (and on the Land cruiser the front and rear diff locks).  I've been comparing the two and considering the distances involved, passenger comfort and the fact that Im not gonna go out looking for the most extreme offroad tracks,  I've settled on the Land Cruiser being the best buy for the job.

But now i'm sitting with quite  a few questions:
- The solid axels... does the 80 series have that and is it really that important?
- Same goes for the front and rear diff locks?
- And biggest problem of all, what are the 80 series' called in the uk.  I've been keeping an eye on e bay and auto trader, and most LC's seem to be Colorado or Amazon etc??

any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

thanks
Wicus
gilghana

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Wicus,
not all 70s come with diff locks (my hzj 78 does not have as I was not prepared to wait 4+ months for diff locks!).  To be honest for overlanding locking diffs are not required.  Like a winch - nice to have but not necessary.  When overlanding you are generally driving to avoid trouble - for you and the car!
80 series sold in the UK official market I think all came with diff locks.  The solid axles give strength and durability (as well as articulation) that independent suspension generally cannot match, however again in an overlanding situation I would strongly dispute that a solid axle is essential, and the comfort and road manners of IFS 4x4s is just as important as the last 1" of wheel travel or ultimate durability IMHO.

Naming...  well the UK really does make life difficult for us ROTW folks:
- The 80 series you might want is sometimes known as an "Amazon" but is properly a HDJ80  
- The "Colorado" is known to the rest of the world as a "Prado"....  and is a lighter duty car than the 80 with (usually) 3.0 litre turbo diesel and IFS.  It would also be fine for such a trip.
- to confuse things further the 100 series that replaced the 80 is also sometimes described as "Amazon".

Gil
jvoelcker

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Wicus,

Welcome.

The 80 series were available from 1990-1998 - when searching on Autotrader or e bay, search under Lancruiser and enter 4.2 as a keyword, that should weed out all the Colorados, etc.  The 80s were badged as Amazon after '95, but many people will advertise a pre '95 model as an Amazon.

The 80s have solid axles, and most UK models and some Jap Imports have front and rear diff locks.  More often than not an owner won't know if the car has diff locks or not, so you should ask them if it has a rotary switch just to the left of the steering wheel marked (from memory) Off - RR - FF/RR - this is the main diff lock switch - if they don't have one, it won't have diff locks (unless aftermarket ARB lockers have been put on).

Are you buying and prepping in the UK, or Kenya?

Julian
Wicus

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Thanks for the info - thats the answers I couldnt find no matter how much I googled Smile

Julian, I'm going to buy and prepare here in the UK.  I'd like to get used to the vehicle and learn the basic maintenance + go on a few 4x4 tracks to get in the swing of things!

How to get it to Kenya... I'm considering the options, I was thinking of shipping it to mombasa (roro or lcl) but with the weak £ the best price i could find so far is £1350 (though hopefully the £ wil strengthen through the year).  I've traveled through egypt before, so if I had to drive all the way I would want to b-line through europe, egypt and sudan and then pick up a more steadier pace in Ethiopia.

once again, any advice/suggestions re vehicle, shipping, itinerary etc would be most welcome!

thanks
wicus
Wandering Willy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 13:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

The route options have been discussed somewhere here recently so it would be worth checking on the info already available.

They key thing I noticed was that traveling via Egypt requires you to pay import duty = twice the value of the vehicle which makes this a non starter. There is an option to get a bond which is like a guarantee that you won't be leaving the car there but this still costs a lot (£1,000+??) and it is a pain to organise.

As always, I may have misread some of this but it does make shipping the car to somewhere further south more attractive (cheaper, nicer journey, less stress, etc).

Willy
Wicus

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 13:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have come to the same conclusion re egypt.  Besides all the hassle of the import and legal documentation, I've heard that the road from egypt to Sudan is often closed and that you have to use the ferry on aswan for around $600.  So shipping it will be, hopefully the £ recovers soon!
jvoelcker

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 14:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, shipping to Kenya will be the cheapest option, but probably not as fun.

For up to date options, refer to the HUBB at The HUBB forums

Julian
Gwynley

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 23:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that the 80 is a good choice - lots of other overlanders have used them.  However don't rule out older landcruisers.  I am planning a London to Cape Town trip in a 60 - I feel there are a few advantages over the 80.  
Firstly they are a lot cheaper than the 80  - you can buy one for under £1000 (think of all the extra money you can spend on doing it up!)
Secondly this low value means that the carnet for places like egypt is a lot cheaper
While the 80 isn't new now, old cars are less conspicuous in Africa which should make it less vulnerable
No turbo - yes it isn't fast (will still do well over 80mph) but its simple knife a fork technology.  Plenty of people have had issues with turbos and sand.

It might not be for you - but 60s are worth considering!

Gwyn
Wicus

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 23:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Gwyn, I will definitely look at the older LCs as well, but considering I have very limited technical knowledge I'd want to go for the most reliable option
gilghana

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gwynley wrote:
 Plenty of people have had issues with turbos and sand.
Gwyn

Gwyn, could you expand on this - I would be interested in what issues you refer to?
Cheers,
Gil
Frank Rabbets

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Through the desert you will see alot of oasis's ; these are mirages and on further inspection turn out to be abandoned green ovals . There are 2 famous ones in Iraq kindly given new to the embeded BBc film crew .One only did 2 miles and was towed all the way to the battlefield when the army abandoned it . The other one died of fright and both are just shells now .

Frank
uk_vette
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wandering Willy wrote:
The route options have been discussed somewhere here recently so it would be worth checking on the info already available.

They key thing I noticed was that traveling via Egypt requires you to pay import duty = twice the value of the vehicle which makes this a non starter. There is an option to get a bond which is like a guarantee that you won't be leaving the car there but this still costs a lot (£1,000+??) and it is a pain to organise.

As always, I may have misread some of this but it does make shipping the car to somewhere further south more attractive (cheaper, nicer journey, less stress, etc).

Willy
Hi WW,

i wish it was twice the value.

In fact the 'carnet' you need is available from RAC.

This is 8x vehicle price.

That is why you need to take out an 'insurance' policy ' to cover the 8x vehicle price.

This policy will typically cost 10% of the sum insured.

When you return the carnet, back to RAC, fully stamped with entry and exit, then you will receive aprox 50 percent of your premium back.

You can do the sums for a  £5000.00 vehicle  etc.

'vette
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> General non-technical Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: