4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

BFG goodrich 265 65 R17

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Running gear / gearbox / suspension / brakes / wheels / tyres
View previous topic :: View next topic  
uk_vette
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ample wrote:
If I were to fit 265 70 R17 tyres on a LC4 (2004 Reg) UK car, is there any issues with clearance or the tyres touching anywhere (especially on full lock).  I have standard suspension with no lift or modifications.

Is it better to fit 275 65 R17 tyres or simply stick to the original 265 65 R17 tyres?

Thanks.

The tyre size of choice is 265 x 70 x R17

No rubbing

'vette
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:08    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Ample

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks 'vette
uk_vette
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ample wrote:
Thanks 'vette

'
'
Pleasure

BFG A/T

'vette
dannyson

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 0:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are these 'noisy' on the road compared to Grand Trek AT20s? - and do they last any longer?
uk_vette
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 1:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

dannyson wrote:
Are these 'noisy' on the road compared to Grand Trek AT20s? - and do they last any longer?

Dannyson,,,,,,,
They are wonderful.
These are the tyres that Toyota should have put on every LC out of the factory.

They are every bit as quiet as the GrandTreks.
They will out last the GrandTreks, 2 - 3 times over.

'vette.

Fit and Forget.
LiquidLAN

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 1:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="uk_vette"][quote="dannyson"]Are these 'noisy' on the road compared to Grand Trek AT20s? - and do they last any longer?[/quote]
Dannyson,,,,,,,
They are wonderful.
These are the tyres that Toyota should have put on every LC out of the factory.

They are every bit as quiet as the GrandTreks.
They will out last the GrandTreks, 2 - 3 times over.

'vette.

Fit and Forget.[/quote]

Not true...

They are marginally noiser than AT20s, the question is can you put up with that?

I was able to get 40-45k out of grand treks at which point they still had 4-5mm of tread on them - if you are willing to drive them to the 1.6mm mark you should easily be seeing 60-70k???  And no I dont drive Miss Daisy around...

Personally I can't see any benefit.  I've had 2 sets of AT20s they've provided all the grip I could want even in the recent snows... I changed them out for BFGs not long after the snows had gone because I'd read so many great things about them and I'm disappointed...

Dunlops behave better on the road.  Provide far better fuel economy and are cheaper.

From what I've seen so far BFG's will give you 10% less MPG and everyone I've spoken to about this since fitting doesnt seem surprised.

I've just got a second set of wheels and I'm intending to go back to Dunlops.  I'll either use the BFGs for winter tyres or sell them on...
Rick

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 11:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, just to complicate matters further, don't forget about the General AT2s.  I have a set on, and the difference between the Dunlops and the Generals is just night and day.  I'm sorry, but the Dunlops really are *beep*.  Proper useless.

I've never used the BFGs although they do have a fantastic reputation.  I think the BFGs and the Generals are probably very comparable in most ways, but I can say the following for sure having now used the Generals for nearly 20k:

Wear at nearly 20k is less than 1mm; I really can't believe just how well they are lasting;
They come in the correct size, ie 265/65/17 straight off the shelf, if that bothers you;
They are significantly cheaper than the Dunlops for a far superior tyre;
Off-road performance is superb and has been absolutely astonishing on snow and ice (I literally couldn't find anywhere it wouldn't go, including with a 5 Series BMW hanging off the back on a rope Shocked );
Consumption on our LC hasn't changed at all (still 31 mpg long term average);
I cannot detect any additional noise other than at about 45mph when there is a very slight whine from the tyres although I've had some people in the car who couldn't hear it at all, and you cannot hear it if the stereo is on (even quietly) and, strangely, with the window down (I assume the wind noise is higher than the road noise);
Ride and handling are greatley improved.  It feels sharper, more responsive and more taught (you need to run considerably higher psi if you want to get the best out of them);
I cannot comment on whether on-road traction/grip has changed at all, other than to say in emergency stop situations, including from a high speed on the motorway ( Embarassed ) it has been faultless and gives far more confidence than before.  Having said that, I'm certain that a determined American could get the back end to step out, and if adequately backed by large US car manufacturers could no doubt get it to roll completely Rolling Eyes

The Dunlops really are not up to the job, unless you never go off-road in any way at all, and do not need reliable traction in extreme winter conditions.  To put it in perspective, I managed to write off 2 Dunlops without even being properly off-road.  One burst when a piece of gravel off a friends driveway went straight through the tread, not the side wall!  Just a piece of gravel.  OK is had some sharp(ish) edges on it, but just a normal piece of gravel like you would find anywhere.  I couldn't believe it - pretty embarassing for such a capable car.

I think I would rather take my chances just running on the rims with no tyres at all than go back to the Dunlops Laughing
LiquidLAN

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 20:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmmmm I've heard all this about BFG and having got them I can't see that they are really that much better.

I've had two sets of Dunlops, no issues with grip on or offroad (though the cars too good for serious off road stuff). I've towed tonnes of different stuff on and off road including a proper 13 tonne horse lorry that got stuck at an event - yes the dunlops span, but they gave more than enough grip to shift something that had been sitting there in the mud for over an hour.

Oh the whole grip side of things, I know it has nothing to do with tread having seen what a TDI Disco can do with 4 bald tyres on a BORDA course at the end of last year

I know you lot hate Dunlops and rate BFGs and AT2s but I'd say think hard about what you are going to really be doing, infinte tyre wear isnt everything.
Rick

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 10:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Errr, but if they last longer, grip better off road and in the snow, grip equally as well on the road, give better feedback, don't puncture as easily, have stronger sidewalls and cost less money (than AT2s anyway), I fail to see why on earth changing to them could be seen as the wrong decision.

And I'm sorry but you're just plain wrong saying that grip has nothing to do with tread Shocked   It has everything to do with tread.  Yes, a capable machine with bald tyres could maybe get a reasonable distance depending on the terrain, but with decent tyres it will go much further far easier.  Why do you think there is a legal minimum tyre tread on UK roads?  If tread were not necessary for traction and safety etc, then everyone would save their hard earned and drive around on bald tyres wouldn't they?  It's exactly the same situation off road.  Better tread depth and pattern = greater capabilities.

I can tell you that it's no coincidence that in the winter of 2008 I regularly struggled to get the LC off the farm in the snow and ice.  After changing to the AT2s for winter 2009 (which of course was 10x worse than 2008), I never once got stuck and, as I said earlier, regularly towed a heavy BMW 1 mile up the track through the snow for my neighbour.  If grip has nothing to do with tread, explain that one.

If you want to use Dunlops that's absolutely fine; you do what you want.  But trying to advise the rest of us to 'think hard about what we are really going to be doing' which is more or less suggesting that we are doing something wrong or unnecessary is not on.

Oh, and I don't hate Dunlops by the way, I just see that there is a far better tyre for everything that I'm going to be doing, on road, off road or any other place.  
By the way, do you work for Dunlop?
uk_vette
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 10:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick,,,,,,,,,,,,,, don't bite.

If persons believe Dunflops are better than AT2's or BFG's

Then me or you and almost all the rest of the 4x4 fraternity have got an awfull lot of mind changing to do.

Just keep silent,,,,,,,,,,,,,he he he
LiquidLAN

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 12:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calm down Rich, at no point have I said you have made the wrong choice, I've simply said if you are thinking of moving from the standard tyres have a long hard think about why you are doing it and what you expect to gain in return.

it sounds like both you and Vette do a reasonable amount of off-road work with your LC, a tyre with more off-road bias will probably suit you well.  If I go off-road its for fun and to be honest I've got a couple of trail bikes that are a lot cheaper and more fun to play with off-road so my LC doesnt go anywhere too snotty because I can't see the point - a weekend on the Yam is expensive enough.

I bought a set of BFGs having spoken to several people here and in real life and got the same message again and again - way better than dunlops, why do Toyota fit them...

I've made the change across - it's been expensive and I'm not looking to get a second set of tyres that are more suited to the kind of driving I actually do.  As I said when I PM'd you from what I can see, apart from the additional cost of purchase BFGs are going to cost me between £1,600-£1,800 in extra fuel over their lifetime at todays prices.

As I said in the PM, it's a shame you cant test drive tyres... maybe you are right regarding your MPG claims, but I've seen similar claims for the BFGs and I cant see how they can be true... lol... in fact I think one was made by Vette who later admitted he no longer bothered checking Wink

I dont understand why people get so hetup on forums, maybe I'm out of place regarding grip and tread.  As far as on-road is concerned no tread = no ability to displace water = aquaplaning hence the requirement for a minimum tread depth.  Off-road however my experience has shown me that you can be bloody amazed at what you can do on four bald tyres... and my old set of dunlops were far from bald and still did some impressive stuff coupled to my LC3

sorry, no I dont work for Dunlop, shame really I might get a better discount on the tyres then Wink going back to experience verses advice though, you've got to wonder if there's anyone here working for BFG or General Very Happy

Long and the short of it, it's been a bit of an expensive mistake for me... I've listened to a few people here and tried to take onboard the advice available, but I can't get the BFGs to work nearly as well for me as the Dunlops did.  If I can help someone else avoid making the same mistake, shouldnt I???
Jazbee

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 15:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

uk_vette wrote:
Ample wrote:
If I were to fit 265 70 R17 tyres on a LC4 (2004 Reg) UK car, is there any issues with clearance or the tyres touching anywhere (especially on full lock).  I have standard suspension with no lift or modifications.

Is it better to fit 275 65 R17 tyres or simply stick to the original 265 65 R17 tyres?

Thanks.

The tyre size of choice is 265 x 70 x R17

No rubbing

'vette

Just answered my question as well Vette thanks...can't get 265x65x17 Grabber AT2's in the uK till late november, but 265x70x17 plentiful. Set of 4 @ £490 fitted Very Happy I've gone away from the steel wheel option...as there are none Crying or Very sad I've had BFG AT's in the past and they were excellent on my old jeep cherokee, want to give the Grabber AT's a go. I am another one who has no confidence in the Dunlops, rubbish grip in even mildly bad weather never mind off road Evil or Very Mad Anyone who likes them can have mine with 20,000mls on them cheap Very Happy
thor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading with interest guys....I am due a full set  Shocked  within the next few months, I am often in the sticky stuff, my hobby takes me into woodlands and fields and at the end of a day playing miles away from home, I want to get in drive off... Very Happy

Land Cruiser LC3 D-4D Auto 2002
General Grabbers At2
Shovel
ARCHIE

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morning all, Tyres were due for changing but couldnt decide between BFGs or General AT2s
Arfter reading lots of info from you all i decided to to go for the BFG KO 265/70/17, WOW ! what a difference,much more surefooted in all conditions,little more drag than the grandtreks but they were shot
There running at 34psi at present,anybody else run these and at what pressure?
Mitcheldever tyres supplied and fitted for £148 a corner and laser tracked for £29 which i thought was good value,ill give an update when the conditions get tricky,
All the best. Very Happy  Very Happy
uk_vette
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Archie,

You made a good choice.
I am sure you will keep these on for many years, as they just don't seem to wear out.

I generally run around 38 psi.
When the roof tent is on, and a few hundred kg in the back, I pump them to around 42 psi.

Running at 38 psi, gives great mpg, I can average most tanks, at 30 mpg.
I think the reason for the higher pressures, is probably due to the reinforced side walls, with the additional ply, over and avove the normal 2 ply side walls.

I think you will be happy with the reduced roll, in corners also.

'vette
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Running gear / gearbox / suspension / brakes / wheels / tyres All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: