2Gether FS : 01945 585322

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

BFG goodrich 265 65 R17

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Running gear / gearbox / suspension / brakes / wheels / tyres
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wooly0000

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 15:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

i,m saying nothing, running Bridgestone's  Embarassed they where fitted when i got the Lc and have plenty of tred left, when they are ready for change i cant make my mind up what to swap too, so i keep whatching the debate and keep changing me mind everytime i read some ones opinion  Evil or Very Mad
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 15:02    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

dannyson

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 23:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 150 has Bridgestone as OEMs and the following write up for them seems favourable.. I may have already posted this - if so sorry ..... but as this forum has no 150 f/back I use the Aust pradopoint which is excellent.....

TYRE TEST - BRIDGESTONE Dueler H/T 840
A BRIDGE TOO FAR?
Bridgestone's Dueler H/T 840 Tyres Claim To Be A Great Compromise For 4x4 Owners Wanting A Good On-Road Tyre But Also Needing Off Road Capability. Steve Walker Puts Them To The Test....

The Goodrich all-terrain tyres displayed a higher level of tractability in the clay but you'd expect them to do that. The greater lateral stability provided by the knobbly tread meant that the Land Cruiser was propelled forward with less of the grip that there was being lost to the tyres zigzagging from side to side in the ruts. Having said that, as with the Bridgestones, there were still sections of track that proved impassable to the all-terrain tyred Land Cruiser.
The verdict that the BF Goodrich all-terrain tyres gave better off-road performance than the Bridgestone Dueler H/T 840s was always inescapable from the word go. The interesting thing was how close the roadgoing tyre from Bridgestone came to living with its altogether knarlier rival. Even if you do plan on putting your 4x4 to some tough offroad work, there's a good chance that the Bridgestone tyres could do the job. Really extreme stuff would be best avoided because getting stuck without a winch-equipped support vehicle in attendance is not something you want to make a habit of but the Dueler H/T 840 proved more capable than we would have imagined. Then you've got the added advantage of the tyre's performance in its preferred on-road environment. We wasted no time in switching back to the Bridgestones for the long motorway journey home.

Some extracts from a review I found --- may be of some interest to some.....?
wooly0000

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 17:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the post dan, last winter i had no problems with the bridgestones in the snow and ice, but it was all on road stuff, and i'm not sure if it was all just down to the car, however that said the article gave bridgestone some good support  Razz  as for off road, going up the kirb is as far as ive got  Embarassed , so ive no idea what they would be like when the going got tough, but when on road i keep the pressure at about 36 -38 psi and the fuel consumption is good (a lot of motorway and A road work) although i dont drive hard ive found the road holding great in all weathers. i also tow with them and found them very stable (its a heavy van and heavly loaded)

but that said when they need changing i may change them for somthing more robust, so i follow this post daily, but i cant make me mind up  Very Happy
dannyson

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 0:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

your welcome ...... and I'm like you ... dread the time when it comes to changing tyres .... will be interesting to see how the Bridgestone OEMs cope with a proper winter (if we get one) ...For the Grand Treks I must say I wasn't overly impressed last year when taking my mother back home on Christmas day night when the whole shebang slipped sideways on 'black' ice.... quickly whacked in the centre diff lock button ....  Shocked

My new 150 is another matter ... a different machine altogether compared to the 120 ... or is it? - be interesting to see.... I LOVE it mind - so much more sophisticated ...... Very Happy
thor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I attempted to get BFG Goodrich for my wheel size....failed.
So I ordered General Grabber AT, Should have them this week.

I found Dunlop Grandtrecks good enough until in the mud and then they became slicks, only the vehicles mechanics and my reasonable driving avoided any embarrassing moments.  Embarassed

I go off road regularly so I needed something that would have more bite.
I will post later on how I find them  Razz

Land Cruiser LC3 D-4D Auto 2002
General Grabbers At2
Shovel
Ecoman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you will be happy with GG AT2s. I am now on my second set on my Hilux. The first set lasted over 40K and still had plenty of tread left when I took them off. My mate still has them on his truck and still plenty of life left in them. I only changed because we had a bad fall of snow earlier this year and I needed to feel secure that my truck wouldn't get stuck.
If it could get me through this then they can't be bad. Oh and at £20 per tyre cheaper than BFG ATs with the same tread pattern its always a bonus Very Happy

uk_vette
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ecoman wrote:
I think you will be happy with GG AT2s. I am now on my second set on my Hilux. The first set lasted over 40K and still had plenty of tread left when I took them off. My mate still has them on his truck and still plenty of life left in them. I only changed because we had a bad fall of snow earlier this year and I needed to feel secure that my truck wouldn't get stuck.
If it could get me through this then they can't be bad. Oh and at £20 per tyre cheaper than BFG ATs with the same tread pattern its always a bonus Very Happy

Hi, but this post makes no reason.
I take it Thore requires off road tyres, also due to snow, perhaps with the name Thore, he lives Scandinavia?

You took off the GG because you wanted more secure in the snow.
Well if the BFG was just £20 more, then I know where my money would have gone.

And to have a set just last 40k miles, I would be very dissapointed

Any way each to their own

'vette
nick j

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

'vette, I think you will find Thor lives just round the corner from you in snowy Warrington... Wink
Rick

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 13:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think what Ecoman is saying is that he changed his worn Generals for a new set of Generals because he was so pleased with them.  I know the feeling, they're bl00dy great!
uk_vette
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 15:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I stand corrected

'vette
Ecoman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 22:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

as above Wink

The tyres lasted over 40K miles and were not worn out. In fact they were given to a friend of mine who is still running around on them. I changed them as I wanted new tyres with plenty of tread to tackle deep snow. I replaced GG AT2s with another set of GG AT2s as I was so impressed with the first set.
dannyson

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 23:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

But what were they like re. MPG and road noise?
Ecoman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was running 245 Goodyear Wranglers before the general grabber AT2s. I never noticed much of a change between the two different tyre types. There was a slight drop in MPG when the GGs were fitted but I put that down to me choosing to go from 245s to 265s.

As for road noise. Yes there was a slight increase with the generals grabbers but so insignificant it wasn't worth mentioning. I ran my Surf on Kumho KL71s and they are noisy in comparison to the GGs.

Only think I can fault them on is the tend to aquaplane a bit  when hitting larger puddles but I had the same thing on BFG ATs so not a serious issue as far as I'm concerned.
cir287

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 17:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmmmh, I'm still not convinced on the BFG or GG route for what I want the tyres to do. My main concern is being able to stop in the wet. I dont tend to get stuck too often so a m&s tyre isint the priority to me.
When I was in the US I saw tyres guaranteed to last 100,000 miles, that was fine in a place where it never rained but to me a tyre that doesnt wear must not grip too well on tarmac either.
Further inflating the tyre to get better mpg may further reduce grip levels on tarmac also.

as I stated tarmac grip in an emergency is my priority, I find the Dunlops cope pretty well with the mud & snow I've thrown at them so far.
I nee tyres soon and I am in a bit of a dilems but unless I can test drive an LC with BFG or GGs on I'll go Dunlop again.

.... thats me and my wants / needs, may not be what other want / need.
thor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 17:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have mine fitted on Thursday, so I will know soon enough if I have made a good choice.
Best of it is I am having 5 tyres removed that are still road legal...  Shocked must be mad...but I do want em on before the weather gets really bad.

Land Cruiser LC3 D-4D Auto 2002
General Grabbers At2
Shovel
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Running gear / gearbox / suspension / brakes / wheels / tyres All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: