Atlas Overland Adventure Tours

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Active Height suspension

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 100 Series / Amazon Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
carmellajade

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 21:22    Post subject: Active Height suspension Reply with quote

Hi all

We seem to be experiencing problems with the Active height suspension on our 1999 4.2 VX. When stationary you can select either H or L from neutral and the car adjusts promptly. If you move away and start driving, the suspension automatically reverts back to Neutral. The suspension will stay on whatever you choose whilst stationary without changing and if you crawl along below 5mph, it stays but anything over this it changes back to N.
Any ideas??
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 21:22    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

joinerman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 21:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's lots on here about the subject just do a search & look through the FAQ's
carmellajade

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 22:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I must be doing something wrong.. as the only topic coming up when I search is my own post and lots of other messages that are not related to my enquiry seach!!
Confused
joinerman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 23:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i just typed in Active suspension  & bingo
Nor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 0:40    Post subject: Re: Active Height suspension Reply with quote

carmellajade wrote:
We seem to be experiencing problems with the Active height suspension on our 1999 4.2 VX. When stationary you can select either H or L from neutral and the car adjusts promptly. If you move away and start driving, the suspension automatically reverts back to Neutral. The suspension will stay on whatever you choose whilst stationary without changing and if you crawl along below 5mph, it stays but anything over this it changes back to N.
Any ideas??

Your car is behaving as it was designed to do.
L is only for making it easier to get in and out of.
H is only for low speed. In low range it will not drop down from H.
Do you have the User's Manual?
carmellajade

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes I have the owners manual but tbh, it does only state that you can only "select" L or H under 19mph which we took to be mean, that once it has been selected, you are able to drive over the 19mph but obviously not!
hodgy0_2

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have to say I agree with Nor

your description seems a pretty good one of normal operation to me
in fact much better than the manual Very Happy
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 14:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

carmellajade wrote:
yes I have the owners manual but tbh, it does only state that you can only "select" L or H under 19mph which we took to be mean, that once it has been selected, you are able to drive over the 19mph but obviously not!
You can buy an electronic suspension lock from Slee that allows you to set the suspension height as normal and then throw a switch to hold it there regardless of speed. I have one but have not got round to fitting it yet.

01 UZJ100 lifted (AHC & 40mm BL), ARB locked f&r, cryo'd 4.88's, TJM front bumper, 12k goldfish, sliders, rack, snorkel, 35's, storage, aux power etc.
93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
hodgy0_2

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 16:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes i have heard of this

does that mean you can lock it in low mode -- say for motorway cruising -- my old RR used to lower itself as speed

and i think it made a difference to handling etc
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 16:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

hodgy0_2 wrote:
does that mean you can lock it in low mode -- say for motorway cruising
Yes, but I suspect low is too low for driving about, it's pretty much on the bump stops I think. I got it so I can put it in high and lock it there for larger tyres until the standard size are swapped back on. What you want is to switch an extra resistor into each of the height sensor circuits so that it drops a little but not all the way to low. In the summer I might get around to experimenting with that to see what other interesting things we can do with the AHC by modifying the sensor voltage levels like getting manual control of the extra 2" lift the traction control is supposed to use when it thinks you're grounded.

01 UZJ100 lifted (AHC & 40mm BL), ARB locked f&r, cryo'd 4.88's, TJM front bumper, 12k goldfish, sliders, rack, snorkel, 35's, storage, aux power etc.
93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
RADIOTWO

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 23:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

wildsmith wrote:
carmellajade wrote:
You can buy an electronic suspension lock from Slee that allows you to set the suspension height as normal and then throw a switch to hold it there regardless of speed. I have one but have not got round to fitting it yet.

Hi Wildsmith

Can I hijack the thread?

you say Slee do a electronic suspension lock, I have searched there site and cannot see anything, have you any more info please?

Radiotwo
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 0:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.sleeoffroad.com/products/products_switches.htm - Lexus LX 470 AHC Controller

93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
RADIOTWO

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 0:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

wildsmith wrote:
http://www.sleeoffroad.com/products/products_switches.htm - Lexus LX 470 AHC Controller

Thanks Jon

they suggest not to use it in the "low" setting but why would you want to run at "high" on the road?

Radiotwo
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 0:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

For running bigger tyres, especially for 'weekend' wheeling where you might have two sets of wheels and tyres, that's what I got it for anyway. I can put the suspension on high, flip the lock switch and pop the 35's on to go and play then when I come back, swap the wheels back over, flip the switch, drop the suspension and it's back to mall cruiser  Laughing Without the switch I'd be restricted to tyres that fit under standard height or not go above 19kmh  Shocked

For lowering it a bit for cruising you need a different solution IMO - modify the sensor voltage so the ECU thinks the car is higher than it really is and lowers it accordingly.

93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 100 Series / Amazon Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: