All Wheel Drive Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Radiator Leaks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 100 Series / Amazon Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
markthespark

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 22:52    Post subject: Radiator Leaks Reply with quote

Hi guys.

I hope you can help with this one.

I recently found (with thanks to the gents on this forum) that i was loosing coolant and have to keep topping it up. With a few days investigations i think i have found the source. its at the top of the radiator.

My question is do i need a new Rad or is there a quick fix? i heard Radweld is rubbish as it blocks parts that it shouldnt. is this right.

If so how much am i looking at for a new rad. i have a 99 Amazon 4.7 import.

Best Regards

Markthespark
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 22:52    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

toyota mad

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 23:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

radweld is pretty good we use it in our quarrie machines as a  quick fix when we have leaks, BUT quick fix only..... as it sloves the problem  temporary...     here is one for you, it can be debated but if you put 2 eggs into your rad it does the same thing as radweld, this still has to be proven to me hummmmmmmmm...... Smile  Smile but there is other products out there just not sure of them

also you dont have to buy a new rad, is sounds like a small leak there are crowds who can replace cells and fix rads and its not that dear.... i know of three company's we deal with in ireland, iam sure there is someone around you who does this Very Happy

no hill to steep for a landcruiser

Last edited by toyota mad on Wed Feb 04, 2009 23:11; edited 2 times in total
joinerman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 23:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get some K-Seal, brilliant stuff, it will stop your leak & wont cause any other probs, you can get it at most motor factor outlets, i had a bad leak & it sealed it up permanatly.
Wandering Willy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Radweld and similar stuff (there are several brands in my local Halfords, for example) works well on small leaks. If it doesn't work, don't add more than one tin in the hope of stuffing the hole to stop it leaking though. Doing that is likely to cause a blockage some where like the heater core.

The cooling system is pretty complicated and there are a load of little cracks and joints where water can get out. Over time, corrosion tends to produce muck in the cooling water which also fills the places where leaks might start. However as this stuff builds up it's a good idea to clean the system with fresh wate as there is sometimes enough muck in the bottom of the radiator and engine block to cause a problem. Then it is worthing adding some Radweld in case there is a crack waiting to pop.

Keep an eye on the leak. If the Radweld works - fine, but if not you don't want to loose water and antifreeze so risking the engine overheating or freezing up. Top up with antifreeze if you have a bottle of it handy.

Check the state of the radiator core. If it is more than 10 years old, the fins may have started to rot and it may be time to get it rebuilt anyway.

Willy
lennytoyota

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 21:34    Post subject: radiator Reply with quote

If the leak is at the top of the raidator and not the fins their are all kind of stuff on the market for repairing this,what I am saying ... if the leak is visible try and fix it from the outside.

http://www.plastexexpress.co.uk/
Lenny
Paul_Humphreys

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 21:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

K-Sale is the best of the lot. But if its only a small hole, solder or braze it.

Paul

http://www.crag-uk.org
http://www.4x4responsewales.org
hodgy0_2

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 23:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a leak when i bought my 80 (since sold) it was at the top of the rad -- the aircon man found it when he was regassing my aircon

it was the size of of a pin head, right at the top of the rad

anyway i dried it out and put some "plastic metal" on it, sort of massaged it in

it lasted 25000 miles and my rad never lost water -- and i went did some long continental drives in it

all leaks are different -- but it worked for me

oh to be honest I forgot all about it and never replaced it
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 100 Series / Amazon Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: