2Gether FS : 01945 585322

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Demountable winch plate

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> General non-technical Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 21:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmm, I'd want more than 3mm wall box for a 50mm draw bar for a winch but what's the rated pull on the winch in question? You could almost bend that over your knee  Laughing  I'm with you on the foot down mounting being an issue and I know somewhere I read about this being a problem on a Warn model but it's not uncommon I think to have some powerful winches mounted this way without issue. I'm picturing the plate deforming not sheering but I'm probably over thinking it on your behalf  Very Happy  Welding thin to thick just takes a bit more care but thick to thicker would be better  Rolling Eyes

Some of the biggest pulls I've accidently needed have been backwards!

If this is just for the rear why didn't you just get a hand winch, makes you much more cautious!

01 UZJ100 lifted (AHC & 40mm BL), ARB locked f&r, cryo'd 4.88's, TJM front bumper, 12k goldfish, sliders, rack, snorkel, 35's, storage, aux power etc.
93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 21:22    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 22:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

The winch is a (will be) a 9000lb. 3mm sounds thin, but remember that it's box at 3mm. I remember from my mechanical properties lectures at college about the outside strength of box as a percentage of that as a solid blah blah. Remember that my tow bar is only that. I can have a plate made from Chobam armour, but the bolts holding it to the car only have so much strength. There are a number of these towball mounted ones, like the one by sold by David Bower to go with the winch that he sells. That is only 5 mm or so. Looking at the commercially available draw bars on these winch plates they are not all solid.

I still need a plate and a bar or both or else this is all still academic.

LC

EDIT:

Hey Jon, what about this?

http://cgi.e bay.co.uk/ws/e bay.dll?ViewItem&item=310105590638&ssPageName=MERC_VI_RCRX_Pr4_PcY_BIN_Stores_IT&refitem=310105590170&itemcount=4&refwidgetloc=active_view_item&usedrule1=CrossSell_LogicX&refwidgettype=cross_promot_widget&_trksid=p284.m184&_trkparms=algo%3DCRX%26its%3DS%252BI%252BSS%26itu%3DISS%252BUCI%252BSI%26otn%3D4
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 23:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

There should be a big fat disclaimer on tow ball mount winch cradles / adaptors telling you not to exceed the tow bar / ball rating. Remember not all tow bars are even rated for 3500Kg so they can get away with tin foil  Smile  That latest e bay cradle looks interesting and would save you some rope. They don't say how thick the metal is but at least that one is designed for draw bar mounting so you'd hope it is strong enough.

01 UZJ100 lifted (AHC & 40mm BL), ARB locked f&r, cryo'd 4.88's, TJM front bumper, 12k goldfish, sliders, rack, snorkel, 35's, storage, aux power etc.
93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have mailed them a list of questions. See what they say.

LC
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 16:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well bonus came in today, higher than predicted. Whooppee. TDS winch ordered and on its way. That will go on the front and the Warn will be relegated to the rear. Went with Dyneema Bowrope as a replacement for the steel hawser. I took my old wire rope, cut out the bad sections and put an eye at each end. I now have an 80' winch extension for those really tricky days. This will allow me to double the main rope most of the time which means having to pull less off the drum.

All I need now is some mud. Oh and a rear winch mount.

LC
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 17:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a series of disappointments, Shane my local fabricator is going to make one up for me. We have agreed on 10mm plate. He will design it around the winch and alloy fairlead, so it''l be a custom job. Found several plates out there, but they were all 2" not 50 mm. So if anyone is contemplating making their own receiver like I did - go for 2". There isn't much in it, but you can't grind down 3mm wall box section. If the draw bar was solid, then it wouldn't be a problem.

We'll see what he comes up with. Still waiting for the 40mm cable and Anderson connectors to arrive. The postal service has all turned to 5*1* recently.

LC
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 18:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you by any chance look at these guys for the parts you needed?

Winch Solutions

And these show, I think, the hydraulic quick-disconnects you're after?

4x4 Winches

But I'm sure you'll have seen this lot already  Wink

I've a pile of Andersen plugs - if yours don't arrive let me know and I'll lend you some - you can send them back when yours arrive!

And also here:  

[url=http://www.winchsolutions.co.uk/index.asp?action=showproduct&id={29D9B47E-389B-4C11-AF66-2418530D2ECD} ]WinchPlate[/url]

Last edited by garystockton on Sat Mar 21, 2009 13:41; edited 1 time in total
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 20:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did. Utterly unhelpful. I explained what I wanted and they came back with 2" - 6mm. That was their complete reply. I asked if they would give me a precise measurement. None of these that I have looked at so far come in at exactly 2".

I went back to them and said if the wall thickness was sufficient I could grind it back a little  . .

No reply. What credit crunch? There are e-bayers out there who will move heaven and earth to help you - and I repay them by buying things from them. Winch Solutions - I'm as interested in them as they were in my business.

Winch Systems in Hull were good, but too expensive.

Thanks for the offer on the Andersons, but no use until the cables and lugs arrive. They may be here tomorrow. Wrightsautosupplies - very good, very helpful indeed. Way cheaper than anyone else on the cable. Saved over £10 on 8 meters of 40mm csa battery lead. That includes Autoelectrics and Vehicle Wiring Products

LC
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 20:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting choice of mounting system shown on the demountable link you posted gary. I think for reasons of cost v simplicity v frequency of use I'll go for a demountable TDS electric like Landcrusher has even though hydraulic is feasible. I can't understand why you're having so much trouble getting a winch plate / cradle Landcrusher but at least it sounds like you'll be using a decent thickness material for your custom solution  Laughing

93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP

Last edited by wildsmith on Fri Mar 20, 2009 23:39; edited 2 times in total
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 20:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's mostly price and drawbar dimensions. it has to be 50mm - dead or less. Most are too big at 2". Also I don't want great big handles on it.  I don't want a towball mounted one either because of the additional leverage that this places on the towbar. I want a straight pull.

I have given up in Scorpion. No reply for three weeks on the phone. Despite them saying somewhere that they are not defunct - they're making a pretty good impression of not trading that's for sure.
That's about the size of it.

LC
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 20:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, got sorted at last. My local guys came up trumps again. I drew them what I wanted and they made it up - out of a decommissioned battle cruiser!

Wow, solid or what. It's fully welded 10mm plate and the box section is about 5mm. Just given a coat of Hammerite and I'll get the winch bolted on in the morning. No worries about it being strong enough. The power is all laid on. Y'know, I'm almost out of things to do.

LC

Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 18:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's it done. Went on a treat. The rear door doesn't clear the top of the solenoid cover, but I knew that would happen. I had to use the Warn contactor pack with the front TDS winch and fit the TDS pack to the Warn. It wasn't easy. I may take the plastic box to bits and mount the solenoid separately. It's connected with bus bars inside not cables. I shall have to make some changes.

But it's good for now.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> General non-technical Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: